Software
Houzz Logo Print
andrewrxxx

Having trouble placing this table between wall and island

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Any ideas on how to space this table off the wall and island? I need to get the positioning for the electricians to place a light for the dining fixture. I hate the idea of arranging lights for furniture but wouldn't look good if not centered. The sideboard table in the corner complicates things and maybe a corner cabinet would be better but I'll have a hard time selling that to wife. The line at the bottom of drawing is not a wall, just center of a beam.




Comments (17)

  • 7 years ago
    22” is too narrow between the cabinet and the table. Too narrow to walk or put a chair both. Do you really need a cabinet there?
  • 7 years ago

    Yep, get rid of the cabinet and center the kitchen table in the area. Can you put the cabinet in the dining room?

  • 7 years ago

    It's a sideboard table, not a cabinet. I don't think it fits either but wife wants. One idea is to move the table to the right and advocate for different furniture

  • 7 years ago
    Consider a round table and move it closer to the wall and family room.
  • 7 years ago

    I updated the drawing to show that is not a cabinet in the corner. Thanks for the feedback

  • 7 years ago

    We came to a compromise and instead plan to place a 30" accent table in that area. Hopefully this is acceptable. Still not sure where exactly to place the dining table but this is what I have so far with about 48" between table and island and 38" off the wall and 42" off sliding glass door. The only reason this spacing matters now is electricians will wire for the chandelier.



  • 7 years ago

    Try putting the sideboard on the other wall and trade the rectangular table for a round one.

  • 7 years ago
    What are the 2 blue rectangles along the sink wall?
  • 7 years ago
    Move the table down (in the photo) so the top table edge is in line with the top edge of the island. Hang the light accordingly. You need space to move chairs out and in when sitting there for casual meals.
  • 7 years ago
    A round table would work there, too. Check Houzz for dimensions for the number of chairs you need.
  • 7 years ago

    @cwestover the squares to right of sink are fridge and pantry


    @felizlady I can move it down a hair to align with island. The island has a 12" overhang for seating (bottom of image), so would align with counter but not island.


    @einportlandor good idea but I don't think a round table would be large enough to accommodate guests. Actually yes, the 30" table could go on the adjacent wall with a few inches to space before the sliding glass door.

  • 7 years ago

    Get a smaller cabinet. Or put it elsewhere. It will be too tight.

  • 7 years ago

    Andrew, do you entertain regularly? If not, you could get a round table with an extension or two. The extensions turn the table into an oval with similar space requirements as a rectangular table. In my book it's ok for guest seating to be a tight squeeze in exchange for free food and good company. But I don't host large dinner parties very often so it might not work for you.

    andrewrxxx thanked einportlandor
  • 7 years ago

    @einportlandor great idea. We do regularly have family over, requiring seating for 8. I updated the drawing to put 51" between table and island and 37 1/2" between the wall. That sort of feels right to me.. There's 26 1/2" get past the table. If still too tight we can turn the table 90 degrees.



  • 7 years ago

    I'd get a more narrow dining table,maybe oval, because that 26.5" just doesn't work for me. Depends though on how much you like on the table vs. using the island as a sideboard.

  • 7 years ago
    I was referring to the blue rectangle at measurement 176”. Do you have a large window or sliding glass doors along that wall?
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH