Software
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Potter and Moore Availability

I'm one of the very few people on this forum who grows this very early and very hard to find Austin rose. Should anyone else be interested in owning this rose, it is on the list of soon to be available roses from the Grace Rose Nursery. You can even put your name on a list to reserve this rose (or any other) to be certain that you'll receive this rose before it becomes generally available.


Potter and Moore is a rose that stays small and blooms often, even in a hot and dry climate like mine. It has been free of disease for me and I love its cupped old rose look and cool pink color.







Comments (26)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I've always admired this rose whenever you posted it. I wonder how it compares to Pretty Jessica. I'm growing up a cutting of it, but so far it doesn't seem that vigorous or healthy in its pot. Hopefully, it will improve once in the ground, but if not P&M might be a good replacement.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    The two look somewhat similar, and Pretty Jessica is a rose that's much admired and really much more popular than Potter and Moore, but for myself I prefer P&M since it has an indefinable pearly quality to the petals. On HMFR some pictures of Pretty Jessica have that look also, but I haven't noticed it so much in pictures of PJ that forum members have posted. In the end it boils down to which rose floats your boat.

  • 7 years ago

    Ingrid, thank you so much for letting me know about the availability (hopefully) of Potter and Moore. Your photos and description of this rose over the years have convinced me that I really ought to try this one. I will definitely add my name to the reservation list.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jenny8boregon
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Ingrid, what a fabulous color

    How tall has yours gotten ?

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 7 years ago

    I hope you feel better too! You guys need to take it easy!

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    I bought one last year from Linda-Long Ago Roses. Her price is $20 each for DA roses.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Kristine, it's not much over three and a half feet tall and when a bloom is over I cut back down to the original bush height, and the bush has stayed at that same height for years.

    Thank you for your concern. My weakened state is probably permanent and may get worse, but I'll cope with it the same way that so many of you bravely cope with your bodily issues. I'm happy to say that after a long period of Cecil not feeling well he's doing much better now and that matters more than anything else. Comtesse, I think of how you gallantly cope with a truly debilitating condition, and can find the heart to think of others, and care about them, and that puts it all into perspective for me.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    You guys are all angels and I think of you daily. It's not feeding the our body at least our roses feed our souls. That must count for something.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    How very exciting that Potter and Moore will be available again! Ingrid’s is just beautiful.

    Summers, I stopped looking at Linda’s Long Ago Roses. She has so many gems, but doesn’t ship to CA. It started to feel too painful, to see what she had, but wasn’t available to me:)

    I hope you’re feeling better, Ingrid. I’m so glad that Cecil is feeling better! I’m very glad to hear it.

    At least we have a good rain to look forward to tonight and tomorrow. It sounds like we might get a good one. Lisa

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lisa Adams
  • 7 years ago

    vapor, the roses count for so very much and give so much joy, which has to be good for the body too!

    Lisa, I was afraid to hope when they first talked about rain, but it seems like a pretty sure thing, and more than just a quarter of an inch like the last rain. Another great mood lifter, for sure. I'm also very happy about having quit my job of more than 30 years, even though for the last few years it was only two days a week. Last Sunday was my last working day and it's only slowly sinking in that it's for real. It's a wonderful feeling. Today would have been my other day to work, and I feel as though I'm playing hooky.

    It seems that Long Ago Roses no longer offer Potter and Moore, and there are quite a few states they don't ship to. It's another case of the nursery owner growing older, although even her now smaller list of roses is still full of treasures. Maybe just as well for us that she doesn't ship here, Lisa.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Congratulation!!! Happy early retirement Ingrid!!!! :-) You are too young to retire though. We shall give you a retirement party here!

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Yes congratulations are in order Ingrid, I'm so pleased for you... I did the same thing last year, I also worked 2 days a week for some years, I used to work Sundays and Mondays, and yet now I don't know how I had the time to even do that..

    ...best wishes...

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    I too am thrilled you can escape work, Ingrid. It really is wonderful to be playing hooky. That means more photos we can all hope, not to be too greedy.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Many, many thanks summers, Marlorena and Sheila, I really am over the moon, no more waking up early because I have to, la la la. It's a lovely relaxing feeling, and Cecil is over the moon. He retired when he was 53 and I think felt guilty that I was still working, although I definitely wanted to. Now we can be old retired folks together.

  • 7 years ago

    Just a quick note with respect to another possible source for Potter and Moore. As you all may remember, John/Ca sent bud wood for many (60) early English Roses to Palatine roses in Southern Ontario this past summer.

    I know John grows P & M and seem to recall that she was included in the list of varieties sent to Rene at Palatine. I have looked for the list but cannot find it right now, but am pretty sure she was one of the cultivars.

    So John, if you are lurking, will you please confirm or deny my report above.

    Cheers, Rick

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
  • 7 years ago

    Had another look and found the list mentioned above. Potter and Moore is #38 of 62, so yes Palatine got wood. We will have to see what they list for sale in the next year or two. But if they propagate her, it will be budded plants.

    Ingrid, you have often written of your fondness for this rose. The images you posted above are stunning. Now that I am the Rosarian for the Summerland Ornamental Gardens, Potter and Moore will definitely be going into that collection in the next few years as well. Likely a grouping of 5 plants en mass. We have approved a five year plan to expand the collections there beginning next spring.

    Rick

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Rick, I'm thrilled that you'll be growing Potter and Moore at the Summerland Ornamental Gardens. It should be gorgeous as a larger grouping. I know the Okanagan can be quite hot, having driven through there once in the summer when I lived in BC, and Potter and Moore does well in the heat. If you're not too busy it would be wonderful if you could show us pictures of roses from that garden. I'm so glad that you still look in here at times. I will always associate you with the rose Molyneaux!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Wow, what a beautiful park!

    Rick, how do you deal with rose midge over there? A lot of us have midge problem up north here.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • 7 years ago

    That Darlow's is amazing. I may need to reconsider placement on that one! Yikes! ; ) Is your zone Canadian or comparable to American Z7b?

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful gardens... I hadn't heard of them before... I wonder if your no i.d. rose is 'Shropshire Lass'... seeing as they grow a lot of Austins…

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Rick, thank you! Your pictures made me homesick for British Columbia, even though I lived there for only five years. The garden is already lovely, but with your plans for the future will be even more so, and certainly more interesting with the addition of Canadian roses and more old roses, and hopefully identifying at least some of the unknowns there. This garden is so fortunate to have acquired you!

    Edited: Rick, this is a long shot, but have Darlow's Enigma and Rambling Rector been eliminated as identities for your mystery climber? Of course, I know, all white ramblers look alike.

  • 7 years ago
    Congratulations Ingrid on your retirement. Marlorena, congrats to you too. I am counting mine down about 7 yrs more to go.
    Rick, I love to see more of your garden. I am always delighted to see your roses and the view seems I can't get enough of it. Just want to see more :)
    Ingrid, I would love to get PM but I can't get it multiflora rootstock unfortunately it won't last for me so I have to call Grace and inquire if they can send me in own roots. That is a chance I am willing to take but my grounds need more time for amendments since the breakdown takes a long process then adding more takes even longer.
    jin
    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Ingrid, yay for retirement. Soon you will wonder how you ever had time to work

    I keep saying that I am going to retire but I keep booking trips and buying roses so here I still am lol.

    Rick, what an amazing project. Thank you for sharing pictures and plans.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for your good wishes. The retirement hasn't quite sunk in yet but I'm enjoying this period where it's slowly registering in my brain.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner