FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

irma_stpete_9b

Garlic vine - Cydista aequinoctialis

irma_stpete_9b

Nov. 13, 2018 at the Pinellas County Florida Botanical Garden http://www.flbg.org, the most profusely blooming vine there that day. Do any of you grow this? I haven't noticed it in yards in nearby St. Petersburg where I live.

(The string of lights... the holiday lighting was already in place.)

• mjkjrobinson

I love this must grow this! So awesome!

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a

Finally! I go there all the time and that vine is never blooming.

• irma_stpete_9b

Joe, I bet you're thinking like I'm thinking... since you go there often, being there when Santa leaves seeds?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I love the soft color! Do the flowers smell like garlic?

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a

I plead the fifth.haha. Well what I'm really waiting to drop some seed is their Stictocardia beraviensis! LoL That thing used to be a show stopper, and always in bloom. But they hacked it back mercilessly like 18 months ago and it just lost all hope. Now it simply mopes around. Haha

• irma_stpete_9b

I saw a garlic vine for sale today. My interest waned. Fully blooming, it was also full of dying/dead flowers that had turned nearly white and fell off at a touch. Guess I'm too picky - don't like messy litter, especially light colored! And no, I did not notice a garlic smell.

The Stictocardia beraviensis photo online does look beautiful. Can't remember if I saw it blooming at the FL Botanical Garden, Joe - there is always at least one awesome blooming vine in their "vine walk" that I don't see out in the real world.

• writersblock (9b/10a)

And no, I did not notice a garlic smell.

I think they say you only notice that when you crush the leaves.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I used to have a large Strictocardia beraviensis vine. It was beautiful and very easy to root cuttings. I have photos on my old laptop. It died on a very cold winter mishap. It seemed more tender than a lot of the tropicals we grow which is why I haven't reattempted it lol.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I found a photo..i love how the flower

buds look like some tropical light bulb!

irma_stpete_9b thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • Florida_Joe's_Z10a

Sultry_jasmine, Do you remember where you bought your plant from? I would have never guessed it would be easy from cutting. Soft wood? Hard wood? Tip cuttings? I wonder if I could find cuttings for sale somewhere. Just checked eBay but no such luck.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I think it came from zone9 tropicals online nursery. I used to get a lot of my vines there. They sent huge ones on a trellis. I used mostly 9 -10 inch soft wood cuttings. Not at the very tips. I put several in a community pot (half perlite/half miracle grow potting soil) I use Rootone powdered rooting hormone. Pot placed in filtered sun/shade. Keep moist. Late spring/early summer was best to give them a good start. If you have a heated greenhouse or no freezes you could probably do cuttings any time.

I've seen small rooted plants on ebay.

• mjkjrobinson

Good to know I will get some and see what happens!