Software
Houzz Logo Print
maggie_walsh3710335

apartment layout help

7 years ago
Hello everyone! I want to rearrange my apartment. Not sure where to put stuff though! I have a tv and do not know how to position that in relation to the couch. I also want to revamp my little entryway. The table is too busy and then I have like 8 floating shelves (big) from ikea that I want to hang up somewhere. Would love advice!!! I have more pics if needed. Also appreciate advice on design because I’m not a huge fan of the leftover, fresh outta college look I got going on currently. Willing to make small investments for accessory and basic furniture upgrades. (This is a 2 BR rental)

Comments (15)

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    I would consider swapping the seating area with table area. It would give you more accessible laydown area and separate relaxing from cooking and eating area. There doesn’t seem to be a best spot for the TV? If you could provide actual measurements of wall lengths and width of doors I can do a scale layout for you. I will check back tomorrow.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Could you put TV in second bedroom?
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    First step for you. Go through every single item in these two rooms especially that entry area and hold one piece at a time. As yourself “do I LOVE this?” If the answer is not yes, donate it or dispose of it. That mirror is reflecting more chaos so not useful there. We can fix that area once you go through your purge. Very important. This is a very freeing exercize.
  • 7 years ago

    Plan to pack away or give away about a third of what is on display. Consider exchanging the new Ikea open shelves for an Ikea Billy Bookcase with doors.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I would declutter first. Look too busy for me. Rid off from some items.

  • 7 years ago
    Thank you everyone. I will declutter and get back to you!!!
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    This is rough since I don’t have any measurements but this is concept. Creates bit of separation from bathroom and cooking eating area. Create a entry with Ikea closet at entry. Then a small cabinet behind sofa as a drop zone. Move table to other end and it serves as prep space and eating area. Hunt resale shops or on line for inexpensive corner cabinet for extra storage and possible display items. The tv would work best mounted on wall with pull out mount so everyone can see in the space. You could put table right up against wall to make more space for sofa and chair. Just depends on how many you have chairs or stools for everyday at your table. Try this for a week or so. Changes are always hard to get used to. Hope this further inspires you!
  • 7 years ago
    @Flo Mangan thank you so much for this! I will certainly try this!! I definitely think an ikea cabinet at entry will help
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Ok great. Another suggestion for entry depending on how much room you have there, Used Armoires or antique armoires are selling for rock bottom prices. The antiques are so versatile and come completely apart for easy moving too. I have used these in many homes and love them. We recently downsized and I was able to use all three of them! Here is one I put in our breakfast area and use for our everyday dishes as well as other China pieces.
  • 7 years ago
    @flo mangan that could be a good thing for me actually. I know I have a lot of stuff. And a lot could certainly go, but there are quite a few things I have collected from my time living abroad, and my book collection, and I don’t want to get rid of it, or really even hide it. So I need a tasteful way of displaying it! I guess my immediate next step is determining what is in “keep” and what is in “get rid of” zones. I’ll look into armoire.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Oh yes. The antique market is depressed and you can get some real bargains. Personally, I would take a French armoire even well used before a cheap Ikea but I also respect tight budgets too. You can negotiate in resale and antique shops and get good prices. They can go in bedrooms and we even put one in the master bath! It is great.
  • 7 years ago

    Help me maximixe the lot. I need to put 10 or above unit apartment and also the clients house and guardhouse. Can you help me in the proper layout of the spaces and also maximizing the space. Thank you


  • 7 years ago

    You need to consult with an architect who is familiar with local by laws.

  • 7 years ago

    Looks like you have a second row of upper cabinets in your kitchen, that might need a kitchen ladder to be accessed; is that correct? If you aren't using those for kitchenware, maybe you could take advantage of that storage space for items you want to keep, but don't have room to display in your small apartment.