Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnboutiques

I need help in finishing my kitchen!! Please!!

Parker Murphy
5 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I started a re-do on my kitchen last spring and just can't seem to finish . I got new granite(snowfall) and new backsplash and changed the paint from deep wine red to green. Now I don't know what to do . I am also enclosing a picture of my living room so you can see my color palette in the house. (reds, yellows, and greens) The last picture is a more accurate depiction of the kitchen color. It was taken before I decorated walls and got new white chairs(that need to be re-upholstered)

I need help with window treatment, lighting over table and sink and upholstery for the chairs.

Thank you for your help.

Comments (32K)

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    yesterday

What white chair?

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    yesterday

The white spindly one pictured in corner of dining room. I was one of the original chairs that we painted red for the kitchen.

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    yesterday

Pic

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

It’s quite similar to my Ethan Allen chair but it’s taller. It fills the whole.

• liasch
    yesterday

Yes, green. The red would create a focal point and you already have the black as your accents.

• lisalane
    yesterday

‘One leg on’. Good name for a rock band! Parker, your endless tweaking has paid off. LR is so inviting and full of personality!

Parker Murphy thanked lisalane
  • kcooz07
    yesterday

parker, when you have time, can you post a picture again of the pillow you like?

Parker Murphy thanked kcooz07
  • lisalane
    yesterday

I like your white chair in the corner just as it is. No need for new fabric IMO.

Parker Murphy thanked lisalane
  • PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    yesterday

Cover the seat in a off white simple fabric and than add the pretty pillow..no need for another green fabric on the seat…keep it simple..the pillow will really add that Parker touch!

Parker Murphy thanked Home Interiors With Ease
  • Amanda Smith
    yesterday

I really liked the clock you had there.

Parker Murphy thanked Amanda Smith
  • Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    yesterday

Here is the pillow I love but am re- thinking so I don't rush it. It costs more than the lamp but luckily I am not getting a lamp now. :) I do love a pretty pillow though. Is it too tannish?

I can't upload it!

• liasch
    yesterday

I agree I’m not sure you need to reupholster unless you’re craving a change?

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    yesterday

Lisa and Liasch- the chair upholstery is flithy dirty. Easy peasy to recover. The chair needs to be painted too.

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    yesterday

Possible pillow

• liasch
    yesterday

I think I’d like a smaller pillow for that chair similar to the one you have on there. Definitely recover in that case! But I’m thinking not white…😑

• dsimber
    yesterday

I love that pillow, Parker! I think that may be exactly what I need in my living area for spring and summer! It might help me choose fabric for my sofa,, too. Please share your source. 🙏

• lisalane
    yesterday

Really pretty pillow Parker but is it too close a match to your magnolia art?

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    yesterday

Dsimber-It is very pretty. I fell in love with it right away when Julie posted. It’s from Etsy. I will look it up.

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    yesterday

Interesting point Lisa. Hope not!

• dsimber
    yesterday

Thank you, Parker! You included all the info I needed to find it: Colefax & Fowler "Summerby"

• Amanda Smith
    yesterday

Maybe a green and white stripe for that chair?

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    yesterday

Amanda/ I thought it might be fun. I like mixing patterns.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    23 hours ago

A lumbar like this would be perfect. Coordinates but doesn’t dominate.

Parker Murphy thanked Flo Mangan
  • liasch
    23 hours ago

Pillow is lovely, Parker. I would go for it.

Parker Murphy thanked liasch
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    23 hours ago

I love this one too! A little pricey but you saved so much! lol.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    23 hours ago

Pair with neutral seat fabric. 😊

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    23 hours ago

❤️❤️❤️ agree with Flo neutral chair fabric!

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

Flo- I looked at thibault too-always love this one – but it’s got that blue in it

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    22 hours ago
    last modified: 22 hours ago

Julie- do you see the the tan in the pillow. Is that ok? I want to see if I can see a sample just to make sure.
    I am surprised, but there is not many green floral pillows out there to even think about. But this one is quite pretty! Are you thinking 16 x 16 for a statement?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    22 hours ago

That tiny bit of blue in the Thibault fabric adds a touch of warmth but without hitting you in the face. The other one looks too much like your art IMO. Need a bit of a change with that chair pillow.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    22 hours ago

I have that Thibaut pillow in my moms room....I dont think that blue is right for your dining room…and not the same as in the sunroom…do you mean the branch/vine color in the green pillow?

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

Julie- I know you have that pillow- always liked it. I was hoping they had it in green.

I was asking if the sommerby pillow has too much tan? The background looks tan.

Also does it matter i have a magnolia huge picture. Will it be too much of a good thing?

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    22 hours ago

Gosh that open vine with the green and white is so subtke but would pull it all together without intoducing another completely different print..the only other print would be to match the tan buffalo check like the round corner table cloth..I don’t think that corner chair should grab to much attention it should just complement nicely but blend and be cohesive.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    22 hours ago

Flo that Thibaut pillow will hit you in the face it actually a very bold pillow…my moms room is all neutral and 2 of those pillows are a big statement.

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    21 hours ago
    last modified: 21 hours ago

When I stared the pillow down I saw that it wasn't magnolias but hydranges and your'e right Julie- it's a lot of leaves and vines. :)

I wrote her for a sample to make sure.

Why square instead of lumbar?

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    19 hours ago

Square or lumbar whatever you like🤗

• liasch
    9 hours ago

I like the pillow that you showed at the very beginning, Parker. The one with way less contrast.

• liasch
    9 hours ago

I don’t think it would be too noticeable that it echoes the print. No one is going to notice that! It will just be a nice pretty pillow… presumably, you can return it if it doesn’t work.

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    9 hours ago
    last modified: 9 hours ago

No I can't return- these are custom. I wrote the lady last evening and she is going to send a swatch. There is only 1 left and 6 people have it in their "cart". Might be a ploy to scare me but it works! There's another lady who does them but she doesn't have piping on hers and i like the piping. Just can't decide size. The 16 inch square would make more of a statement for my money (120!) but don't want to over power. The lumbar may not show enough of the design for 90. I am going to do only one sided to save money!

• liasch
    8 hours ago

Wow… tough choice. Take a couple of pillows you have around the house and put them on the chair to test for size. 16 inch isn’t that big. Worst case scenario, it doesn’t work on the chair and then you find another place for it and do some thing else in lumber for the chair….lol… but then, my philosophy is, you can never have too many pillows, so don’t trust me on that one.😂

• liasch
    8 hours ago

Also, if it’s not comfortable sitting on the chair with a 16 inch pillow, you’re going to be dealing with a pillow every time somebody wants to sit in the chair. So I would test it.

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    8 hours ago
    last modified: 8 hours ago

Here's an ugly flat 16 inch pillow and a 12 x 18 lumbar. Her lumbar that she makes is 12 x20

• dsimber
    8 hours ago
    last modified: 7 hours ago

I really like the lumbar for two reasons. The back of the chair, so pretty, can still be seen, and a lumbar seems to belong, practically speaking. Do you think 14 x 20 is too large? Does anyone recognize the fabric as something that can be purchased elsewhere, perhaps by the yard? Edit: Oooo. It is, but even more pricey. The Etsy maker had a remnant so was able to offer at a lower price.

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    8 hours ago

Dsimber- I can't find the fabric anywhere else- I've been lookingI But I feel if i do find it, it will be expensive. And then to hire someone to make it with piping, it may even cost more!

I found another maker of that print but had no piping. Found another lady who did a lumbar for $40 but when I did a close up it looked like it was printed on there- and it had a yellow cast on it. She sent me a picture of the last piece she had so it was nice to see the layout of the print.

I did figure out why I shouldn't have striped chair- I have striped wallpaper in that corner! :)

iasch- I am not concerned about the pillow and having to remove it. Won't be used very often at all and then if we do- throw it on the couch. The pillow on the chair is for beauty! :)

• Amanda Smith
    6 hours ago

Have you looked on Amazon for pillow covers, Parker? They have a large selection at low cost. Very pretty.

• happyleg
    3 hours ago

I like the checkered height pillow better does that one feel the most comfortable on the back?

Parker Murphy thanked happyleg
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 hours ago

Lumbar. Size allows pretty detail back of chair to show. Lumbar more useful too. Keep it to scale and when you redo the chair seats that will make a difference too. Might want to do the seats first because it might affect pillow choices? Even neutrals can be fussy about who they sit with! Lol

• liasch
    1 hour ago

What Flo said except you don’t want to miss out! Seems to me you said she has limited amounts of this fabric and several other people are interested? I would go for the pillow and then do the chair to work with the pillow.

• liasch
    1 hour ago

So yes lumbar pillow is definitely better.

• Parker Murphy
    Original Author
    52 minutes ago
    last modified: 43 minutes ago

I am waiting for the sample because if it's wrong color background and it upsets me :) I don't want it. I Hope she mails right away so I can see it and order.!!

I am hoping if I order from her that she would be willing to knock of 2 inches. 20 is too long. Maybe even 18 too long?