mnboutiques

I need help in finishing my kitchen!! Please!!

Parker Murphy

I started a re-do on my kitchen last spring and just can't seem to finish . I got new granite(snowfall) and new backsplash and changed the paint from deep wine red to green. Now I don't know what to do . I am also enclosing a picture of my living room so you can see my color palette in the house. (reds, yellows, and greens) The last picture is a more accurate depiction of the kitchen color. It was taken before I decorated walls and got new white chairs(that need to be re-upholstered)

I need help with window treatment, lighting over table and sink and upholstery for the chairs.

Thank you for your help.

Comments (19K)

Flo Mangan

Great place to get great books cheap

• Parker Murphy

Marley is always a scene stealer! Which picture did you like best? I think I liked the one in a blue jar. Whatever picture is chosen, would it be framed or just a canvas?

Another question- what texture would the white pillow be. Tassels? anything? Seems plain.

I will wait on lamp til chairs painted.

I will gladly fix the pillows Julie- and stuff them more!

Love when you pick!!! I know its done out of love! It is isn't it?

I need help with the finishing details in my kitchen/family room.

hi there, it feels like the placement of the furniture may be better if the sectional was where the chairs are but put the little table at the other end of the sectional and the chairs could go side by side facing the sectional. Float the sectional, dont push it up against the wall. Square off the chairs, no angles. If you live where there is an ikea, they have some lovely cream/white linen pillows. Always get down inserts, better than polyester fillers. See if you can find some robins egg blue pillows for chairs, again down filled. Spray out your lamp base to a soft white or black. Look for an 8x10 area rug at homesense or ikea, I think a natural sisal would be nice and fresh in the space. If you can find natural linen drapes, with black rods, I think they would really soften the windows. A dark coffee table would be nice, style the coffee table with big coffee table books, maybe a wooden box on top of them and then a white bowl beside the books. Post pictures when you are done! Hope this helps...

We are building a cabin house and I need help determining what my kitchen's finishing materials should be

Either wood on wood or painted cabinetry.

I need help on how to finish my kitchen.

Could you post more photos? It's hard to answer without seeing the rest

I need help in finishing my kitchen.

Hi, by the look I assume your style is traditional/transitional. The photo you provided has lots of medium tones and it's all blending together. When thinking of color, add contrast - light or dark. For the cabinets, for painting go with something light or if you have great lighting consider dark. To help with your color selection look at the lighter tones in your flooring and countertop. Check out finish options at your local Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams store idea: paint, distress slightly, glaze? Back splashes are key. They marry all your elements together and in my opinion can make or break the design. When choosing tile, avoid the big box stores and look for tile stores in your area. They will have some nice displays to help you visualize options. I'm a fan of glass mosaics - they add color, texture and interest. To help choose colors, have samples with you. The folks at the local (not big box) stores will help you. Also, don't forget to change out your hardware:) You have a good base to start, be patient and you'll find just the right solution. Hope this helps!
  • toni1947

Depending on your view, maybe add a birdwatching book and a pair of binoculars

• Parker Murphy

Flo- yes I do have a Half-price Books by me.. Good idea- Great place to find books. I will go there soon. We are going to Vegas Sunday so can't go this week.

And Flo, love that lamp of yours and Julies.

• Parker Murphy

I put an 18 inch pillow form in the side. It’s very stuffed now and I can’t chop it. Do I need to have down? 18 inch?

• Parker Murphy

Cute idea Toni! I might do that. Perfect for the porch Thanks!

Home Interiors with Ease

Down inserts is the way to go they just rest and settle into the sofa so nice and comfy!

I too love the lemon tree in the blue pot With all the white background...so cheery....if you do canvas I would add white floater frame...or do white mat white frame with a print.

white pillow anything you love..but tassels would be my last choice for a garden cottage look...linen..lace..ruffles....

• Parker Murphy

Thanks Julie- I can't do canvas with that print- too big or too small.

I will do white frame and mat then. Pretty white!? No yellow matt?

Home Interiors with Ease

I love the all white..but up to you..it might be hard to match the yellows..

Parker Murphy thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • Parker Murphy

I am still looking for other prints so that I get the best! :)

• liasch

I actually really like the lamp with the green shade… Much more interesting.

Parker Murphy thanked liasch
  • smh225

So lovely! May I come for tea? Not a fan of the white pillow on the sofa.

Parker Murphy thanked smh225
  • Seajay Sparkles

Vote yes for Marley😘

......
    Vote yes for lemon tree in blue bucket

......
    Vote no on white pillow on sofa.

Parker Murphy thanked Seajay Sparkles
  • Parker Murphy

Hey Seajay! Your votes count!!

-I am painting birdcage white and.......

- I am still keeping the lighter blue lamp

- I am going to find a white pillow and then see . You can vote then. We must keep an open mind.

Glad you liked the lemons with the blue vase.

• Julie Zygmontowicz

Maybe 2 white pillows with your floral..don’t put blue and green stripe back looks a bit dated for some reason..you could even add yellow and white pillow to pump up the yellow with the blue..but white wherever you can..it is what makes the blue special..just like how you added all the off white with your red it allows the red to get the attention it deserves...all the white with your green in dining room..it just works and looks lovely!

Love the blue potted lemon tree art! So happy you liked it!

I say white lamp or white lampshade on table...

Should I say it? Trust Me😉

Parker Murphy thanked Julie Zygmontowicz
    Home Interiors with Ease

Didn’t you get the Kirkland lamp?

• liasch

Yaaa for white bird cage...lol...

Will reserve judgement on white pillow until the real thing.

White lamps feel large, and not graceful or interesting...unlike the green lampshade one which I love...

Parker Murphy thanked liasch
  • Parker Murphy

Good Morning Julie!

I haven't heard those words for a while ":trust me"

I didn't get the kirkland lamp-it was shorter and maybe I was just lazy?

I am going to order the picture today/tonight. I want to make sure another picture isn't found that is even better! Here is the one that is the winner from Great Big Canvas. They were the only one that had the canvas in a variety of sizes. I will order the 23x 30 with a white frame. I thought about a framed one with a mat but it seemed like too much white

• Molly

God morning Parker. 🙂 How did the reglazing of the tub go? Did the counter stain come out?

• dsimber

Parker, I love those frames and use them almost exclusively...but they do not seem like you! Why not stay with your cottage charm? I would order a print and have it framed locally. Then you can have a double mat, perhaps with a narrow strip of color. It’s fun to play with the samples, and Michaels often has 50% off. What do you think?

Parker Murphy thanked dsimber
    JAN MOYER

The absolute inability to commit to an idea and edit leads to amateur results.

Edit this to JUST THE BLUE AND WHITE. Add the lemon pic. Now..S.T.O.P

BELOW? get rid of all but the blue/white jars. . Tell the story, clearly and stick to your "story". You're making me crazy

Parker Murphy thanked JAN MOYER
  • Parker Murphy

Good Morning Molly. Thanks for thinking of me and my problems. Yes the tub came out just fine. He was there for 2 1/2 hours. He also fixed a smaller area- about 1/4 inch that had come off- I don't know how- but he saw that it was a little piece of silicone that wouldn't take the spray. Anyway- all is good.

The vanity top is almost perfect. Nobody would ever know but I know! The lemon juice didn't really work but my Barkeepers friend seemed to get it off. I can still see a little rusty orange. I am going to put a little more on it and then will use Weimans ( haven't bought it yet) when I get back from Vegas.

• Parker Murphy

Morning Dsimber- I like those frames too.. Both of my big pictures in the living room use them.

But, I did find another print that I like that I can't get in canvas in the right size. Here are the two to compare. What do you think?

28x33

25x31

• Parker Murphy

Jan Moyer- did you see I went and bought a plant for the coffee table like you suggested? I do listen ........ Sometimes.

• Julie Zygmontowicz

Morning Parker ☕️

I like the floater white frame...you have simple black frame in the other rooms no mat...it looks fresh! I love it still think you need the bolder blue and white lamp..just sayin...

• Amanda Smith

I like the bolder lamp too.

• poollivingthedreamnow

same. the lighter one seems to disappear.

Parker Murphy thanked poollivingthedreamnow
  • dsimber

Am I just not getting the joke? This is not engineering where the house could fall down. I don’t understand why anyone, and especially a designer, imposes her own style on others, but I’ve run into that in real life about 50% of the time. I only choose to involve those who listen to what I want and work with me. When the mark is missed, as judged by me, the client, we go back to the drawing board. The others? I know at the first meeting and we do not proceed. Nice to be able to say goodbye. It’s why I’m here. It is helpful to me to get different perspectives in the context of “but you’re the owner and it’s your decision." I’m pretty sure the story here is garden. The blue and white ginger jars, as I recall, were suggested for a few accents. I can’t speak for Parker, but I would never put all those blue ginger jars in one room, let alone on one table. To me, the mockup looks like a shelf display at a wholesale place. Notice the “to me” aka “imo." Just common courtesy--and courtesy is one mark of professionalism. Basic people skills. Might you just recognize that you are not the right designer for Parker? If she wants more help from you, she is perfectly capable of asking you specifically. Please do us all a favor and limit your input to threads where people just want the job done.

I’m going to be embarrassed if I’ve misunderstood, but I am really tired of the few pros on houzz who have this attitude. I usually cringe when I see those names and prepare myself for bullying. If I am off-base, I will remove this post.

Parker Murphy thanked dsimber
  • dsimber

Parker, I had forgotten that you have that style of frame in your living room. Nevermind! I don’t dislike the print or canvas with lemons, but I prefer the print you already had there. Maybe I’ve missed that you are trying to downplay the red-orange? Will it now be limited to your chair cushions? Whatever direction you take, we know it will be as charming as all of your other rooms. 🥰

Parker Murphy thanked dsimber
  • liasch

Soooo.... where are we at with these ginger jars and the top of this piece of furniture under the painting? The last I heard Parker wasn’t really feeling the ginger jars… Is that still the case Parker? If you love the lemon tree idea I think either of those work fine.

Parker Murphy thanked liasch
  • ladma

dsimber, Jan doesn't use her filter, and tells it like she sees it. I don't think she has malice in her heart, but gets frustrated when the OP takes a long time to make decisions, and crowdsources the details. but sometimes the OP likes to crowd source. parker weighs in on all the advise and finally comes up with a stellar design.

Parker Murphy thanked ladma
  • liasch

Ladma, Great explanation about the protocol in this group. You either enjoy this process or you don’t.. and if you don’t it has been suggested several times that those that don’t, MoveOn.

JAN MOYER

It's not "imposing" . You can't turn your fun of "chat room options" into a lesser result for your CLIENT.

It's not about the time you spend. It is about the result. That I get to result faster? Welll yes. I get paid to do just that.

There are a million ways to have fun, certainly design is but one! But. More is not better in design, Editing is very good. You are telling your story. PARKERS STORY. The best stories and the best books and the best designs of virtually anything......go through an editing process. Sorry..........it's fact.

If you are not clear on the intent? Your message in written text or in visuals? ? Nor will your brain eye understand that intent/

I DO GET THAT YOU ARE ALL HAVING FUN........ HAVE THAT, HELPING YOUR CLIENT EDIT. : )

Arduous "process" doesn't make it "" better" ........that's a choice. When you have "it"? Yeah..........you have it.

Parker Murphy thanked JAN MOYER
  • Julie Zygmontowicz

Jan you just talk in circles....we don’t have any problem communicating at all and we can do it in a fun nice way....Parker loves to play around...every last simple thing...why not! Edit edit edit until we can’t edit anymore🤗👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• happyleg

I like the art u picked out! So cute tree & ginger pots. :)

• Parker Murphy

Liasch and Dsimber - I know I am sounding confusing. I am going to keep the ginger jars until I see how it all works together with the lemon picture.We all know Julie has good ideas! I must say if I had to make a choice without seeing the art and the jars together, I would choose the geranium picture because its safe. We had that picture there for years. I know it works. I want to be open and try something different! Maybe I will end up with the geranium picture but at least I tried.

Dsimber- I am going to keep the lower shelf empty or with one thing. It does look better.

Julie-I have decided to keep the darker lamp. Don't tell Seajay. I left the light one there for the day and when I walk by the porch, it does look like it fades away.. But it is so pretty. I love the color.

I got confused with Jan's rant. Whats my story? What exactly does that mean?

• Karon Long

I really like the lemon tree, I like that it's vertical it seems to fit the space better. Love the darker lamp, I'm going to hold on the ginger jars until I can see the whole thing put together...I have no imagination. 🙂

Parker Murphy thanked Karon Long
  • dsimber

Parker, I don’t think you are confusing. Confused, maybe? No. Totally teasing. You are trying to mix in the blue and white without giving up your idea of what feels like a porch--bringing the outside in. I see that with the use of clay pots and plants in your hutch and on your table. I think you found a perfect way to refresh your room by adding the blue area rug and now some ginger jars. I, too, would need to play with different combinations. Sometimes I FaceTime my sister for help; she owned and managed a shop for ten years, and she always seems to come up with just the right change that makes me say, “Yes!” For me, houzz is the next best thing to that! and I’ve learned that from you. Thank you for bringing me joy!

Parker Murphy thanked dsimber
  • Molly
    yesterday

Look how pretty these yellow flowers look. 🥰

Parker Murphy thanked Molly
  • liasch
    yesterday

I think the darker lamp works fine. I noticed in a couple of shots exactly what you were saying it kind of faded so it really depends on the angle and you would know best as you’re actually in the space.

Parker Murphy thanked liasch
  • Parker Murphy
    yesterday

I like those yellow flowers in a ginger jar! Maybe?

• liasch
    yesterday

I have no idea what Jenn is talking about but I do know one thing; text on the thread like this or on Facebook for example is no place to try to hash out personal or philosophical differences and opinions. It’s fine if you’re dealing with something very concrete, which we are here… Even that ends up with a lot of opinions but it’s not A matter of life and death! However... if you start getting into opinions on other matters It can be a slippery slope. It’s sort of like the wisdom that at family dinners don’t talk about religion… or politics...LOL. It’s a rabbit hole.

• liasch
    yesterday

Jan not Jenn...my autocorrect is working overtime.

• Parker Murphy
    yesterday

I sent back the lighter blue lamp today and ordered the lemon tree. Decisions made.

I am going to Vegas tomorrow til Friday. Excited to go- its in the mid 80's there and sunny.

Keep posting any ideas- I will be checking! Thank you all!

Flo Mangan
    yesterday

Great! Once you see your art, it will inform your other choices. Art first, then accessories. Go win some money! We have shopping to do!

• dsimber
    yesterday

Enjoy your trip, Parker! Safe travels. 😘

• Molly
    yesterday

Lucky you, have a great time!

• Julie Zygmontowicz
    yesterday

Have fun! Hope you have a lucky streak!

• mary44
    yesterday

Have a great time! Enjoy the warm weather 😊

• liasch
    22 hours ago

Ahhh...Vegas! Enjoy!