Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_45876390

Need Help designing master closet layout

7 years ago

We are halfway through our build of our new house and we are trying to think about how we will organize the master closet. The space is ~5'x11'. This is the room we have to work with and it's too late to change the floor plan so please hold off on the "floor plan modification" comments. We were thinking maybe 2 racks of clothes on either of the short ends and then trying to fit shelves/shoe racks somewhere? Any ideas on the best/most efficient layout? There is a 2'6" archway entrance to the closet area as seen in the photo.


Thanks!


Comments (6)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    The problem is this is not a walkin closet. Once you have naging space on one side you will only have 3’ walk space not even. IMO you would be better off opening the long side and doing a well organized reach in clost maybe like Pax from Ikea.

  • 7 years ago

    As stated above, this closet really isn't deep enough to be a true walk-in closet. Here's the best thing you could do with it:

    - Open the arch wider /in the middle of the closet.

    - One solid wall of hanging clothes across the back.

    - Two sets of stack-up shelves (sweaters, purses, shoes), which could be 2'9".

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Allow about 24" depth for hanging clothes, either double pole both ends with 1-2 shelves above or double the entire back wall as shown above. Shelving can be 12-16" deep. The remaining door wall could have hook strips.

    Worst case you have almost 20 lineal feet of hanging space. So how many pairs of shoes are we talking about ..... Imelda?

    With small closets sometimes a professional closet organizer/builder is worth the money.
  • 7 years ago
    Depending on budget, go to Container Store, Lowe’s, or a custom closet company. Look carefully at the clothes you will use. The booklets for closet systems ask you to inventory your clothes. For example, my closet needed double rods 36” long for shirts above, pants and skirts below. I needed 20” of longer hanging space for dresses, including floor length gowns and street length dresses. I needed 6 24” shelves for purses, sweaters, etc. I had room for two full width shelves over the rods for boxes to store out of season clothing. My DH’s closet required different configurations, including the double hanging rods to be spaced farther apart to account for his longer length shirts and pants. For us personally the Closet Maid system that has a fixed Shelf Track and standards and brackets that can be easily moved if your needs change.
  • 7 years ago

    My husband is sleeping so I don't want to go in and measure but it sounds about the same size as the closet in our new house. The house was built in 2006 and had built-ins already there. It works but is a little tight. since I have more shoes I had my husband move his shoe shelf to my side. I added a shoe cubby on the entry wall too that makes it tighter but gives a spot to put things temporarily and hung scarves above. Also added a couple doublue shelves from Walmart above the hanging racks. I got one of those folding helpers you see store employees use, couldn't live without it now. The bathroom is beige but all I see is pink. it really looks pink in this picture. it's the only room we haven't painted over yet I hate it. I don't like that they put carpet in the closet either instead of the extending the flooring from the bathroom.



Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County