Software
Houzz Logo Print
dcrites

Rug for Front Doorway

7 years ago
Hi there! What type and color rug do you think we should put in our front doorway? We live in Chicago so it has to be big enough to take our snowy boots off.

Comments (13)

  • 7 years ago
    Not a pro but you probably want a good sized rug... like 6x (4 or 8 depending on your dimensions). Personally I’d use something multicolored to hide dirt and debris. Beautiful room.
  • 7 years ago
    Not multicolored like blue and red but more in keeping w your warm neutrals. The palette you have is pretty limited/narrow ....
  • 7 years ago
    I can see something in a velvety green - would add color but still be earthy with your neutrals. Some ideas:
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I'd prob do a small bench in front of that window (you'll have to move that chair) with a large basket underneath for shoes.


    and if you can swing any of that wall space, maybe hang some hooks or :


    For the runner, in the winter, try a chunky jute or sisal type of rug. it should be at least 4'-6' in length.






    you have a very nice looking space. few ideas on styling your console (the top looks a little bare)


    I think a white orchid in the blue/white chinoiserie pot would be a perfect addition







  • 7 years ago

    What a gorgeous room.


    I'd go as wide as the door with sidelights and something black and ivory that will obscure debris.



  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    grover, can you try the middle or the right one? I like the middle one because of the golds. would look nice w/her room.


  • 7 years ago

    Looks like that is the direct entrance from outside? If so,then I would look into Waterhog mats and/or a boot tray.

  • 7 years ago
    It's a beautiful room...and some of those rugs certainly would work in your color scheme ...but , to see all those winter boots as part of the living room ..? And where do you hang your clothes , coats , parkas ?? I would make a little mud room in the future ...out of the entrance space including the window ...as a second entrance ...just enough space to come in ..hang your winter coats ..put your shoes and then come into your beautiful living room , or , extend a little area outside the door ...moving the front door out by 1.50 m or 4.5 feet ...to create a mud room outside and separate from the living room .
  • 7 years ago

    I thought that about the boots at first, too, silvia, but with the dark jute rug above, everything kind of disappears. The rug disappears into the floor, and the boots disappear into the rug and don't bother me anymore.


    I also thought about a large basket to throw the boots into, but I assume wet boots need to dry and air out after you come in. (I live where the only boots we have are cowboy boots.)

  • 7 years ago
    Thanks so much for all of your great feedback! I’m loving the idea of the dark jute rug... Trying to find that patterned one. This seems to be a close second...
    Bohemian BOH315 Area Rug, Black, 4'x6' · More Info

    Also- I agree on styling the credenza!
  • 7 years ago

    Diane, I think that may be it.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I like the dark rug. As for the wet boots, our layout is similar and the front door is our most practical entry so we use it mostly. I put a 25”x18”and deep, lidded dark brown basket from Michael’s on the side wall and put the boots in it with a towel to wipe the water. Works perfect for us And keeps it tidy. Baskets breathe.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH