Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_428543685

Yes or no to the ottoman?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I recently purchased an ottoman for my living room. It was on sale and I thought it would look great. But when I added it to the livi room I don’t know if I should Keep it or return it? My husband and I feel like it kind of closes in the room especially since we don’t really have a big living room. I am posting pics with and without the ottoma. I’m not a designer can someone please help me?



Comments (26)

  • 7 years ago

    would help to see more pictures. It looks to me like you have a sectional and a couch and that is closing off your living room. Don't like ottomans that look like tables. I keep thinking people will set food and drink on them and spill.

    Rachel O thanked Suki Mom
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for the feedback. Here’s another view. I have a chair and a sectional.


  • 7 years ago

    The size is fine but the chair would need to be moved out a bit if possible. The color looks stark white, while the other accents in the room are off-white. That is what I notice the most. A picture of more of the room would be helpful.

    Rachel O thanked Susan
  • 7 years ago

    Would you be willing to turn the sectional? I would turn it so that a side faces the window then place the chair at an angle on the window wall. Then see how the ottoman works. FIY your end table are too low, they should be the height of the sofa arms so as to be useful. Very difficult to reach over the large arms.

    Rachel O thanked jck910
  • 7 years ago

    I agree with Susan it might help to put a black tray with light accessories on the ottoman.

    Rachel O thanked C Marlin
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks. Yes it is a white color which is the same for my end tables. I also have white sheets between those navy blue curtsins. I’m thinking of getting a new rug since everything is startin to look dark especially with the grey furniture and dark floors.

  • 7 years ago

    White sheers*

  • 7 years ago

    OH I see now. I think it looks fine.

  • 7 years ago

    I think the tufted, upholstered top is too close to your existing sectional and chair. There's too much upholstery going on for my taste. It is a terrific looking piece though! Have you considered a glass top table?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    It looks ok. I be a little weary of the material getting marked up. I rather have a flat surface to place stuff on, but if it's just for looks & slippers should be OK.

    Rachel O thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • 7 years ago

    I never thought about turning my sectiona. I would be willing to try that. Didn’t even think about the end tables, thanks for the tip. Here are a more pics of the whole space. Please ignore my remain Christmas decor that I plan on taking down today.



  • 7 years ago

    My second option was going to be a glass too table. Also the material is white leather. It’s a beautiful ottoman but I think it probably doesn’t go with the space.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I was thinking glass table, too.

    Rachel O thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • 7 years ago

    I think you should consider replacing the rug as well. If it fits in with your lifestyle, I'd suggest something that pick-ups and repeats the cream? / white? color of your end table tops and "furry" pillows.

    Rachel O thanked missenigma
  • 7 years ago

    I have been wanting a lighter color rug and but worried about maintenance especially with school age kids. I will keep that in consideration it might brighten up the room some more.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Maybe, A white or cream shag on top of existing rug under glass table top slightly past legs.

    Rachel O thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • 7 years ago

    Interesting idea! Never though of layering rugs! Thanks for the ideas! A rectangle glass tablue or square?

  • 7 years ago

    no. its doesn't seem "full" enough

    Rachel O thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • 7 years ago

    I wouldn't do a rectangle because the space you're filling is square. I might even consider a round top. It might provide a nice counterpoint. You could cut a piece of cardboard to mock-up a round top and see if you like it.

    Rachel O thanked missenigma
  • 7 years ago

    @RL Relocation- can you please explain what you mean by full enough?

  • 7 years ago

    Round glass table sounds like a good optIon. I will start searching for one.

  • 7 years ago

    I'm thinking something round and non-tufted (the couch has enough tufts for the space).

    Rachel O thanked rcarterworld
  • 7 years ago
    No
  • 6 years ago

    Hi Rachel. I really like your sectional. May I ask where is it from? I have been debating a tufted sectional and just wondered if it was comfortable.

  • 5 years ago

    I purchased it from overstock. Yes, it’s very comfortabl!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH