Software
Houzz Logo Print
kaur12901

Need help with decor ideas for my living room and dining room!

13 years ago
Hi guys! My husband and I recently built a new semi detached house and love everything about it ! We furnished it as soon as we moved in and are very happy with the pieces we bought but now I'm I major confusion of where to start decorating. It's an open concept living room flowing into the dining room. I know I need a rug in the living room and perhaps some side tables but don't know where to start. P.s. we are waiting to finish our basement and when we do we will be moving this huge tv into the basement. Any advice would be great :) thanks in advance !

Comments (12)

  • 13 years ago
    Start with finding a rug, that always seems to be hard, first decide on the size you want, then start hunting for a rug that complements the space. You could always do a simpler rug and then have fun with the accessories and bring color from there.

    Also, where are you dining chairs from!? I've been searching everywhere for the chairs with the ring on the back. Would you mind sharing the Info
  • 13 years ago
    The chairs are from winners /homesense from Montreal Canada. I bought a plain grey rug and this lamp that I've been drooling about. Just not sure how it looks in the space. What do you think ?
  • 13 years ago
    I think the rug looks really great. I love what you have done so far.
  • 13 years ago
    I really like your curved sofas! If you wouldn't mind sharing info on those. I like your decorating! Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    You will need something important in the space now occupied by the t v as you do not have a fireplace for a focal point. I would consider one...a ventless indoor unit for that wall.

    Real Flame Grey Envision Wall Ventless Fireplace · More Info

    Vancouver Home · More Info

    Next I would get some fabric on the windows, the same for both.
    Marquee Shimmering Faux Silk Pinch Pleat Drape · More Info


    With your dining chairs and the crystal chandelier, I am not loving the sofa pillows...too bold...something.

    Gray Leopard On White Linen Pillow Case By Giardino · More Info

    If you have the time, would you take a picture of the dining chair front and back? Thanks.

    Doing a great job...don't you love Home Goods?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    It looks like you have made great choices so far, now is the fun part for decorating. I think the most important thing as this point in your design is to have a color plan., a guide to help you make decisions and inspire you!
    I created an app called Color911. (find out more about it at Color911.com) You can create your own palette of colors OR take/find a photo of something that inspires you and pull the colors from it.. or check out the color themes. Within the app are many pre-made color themes that are colors that all work beautifully together. You can choose any number of colors within a theme and use the colors for everything from wall color to accent colors to colors for a rug ... you name it! I have been an award winning color consultant and have authored two best selling books on color. I created the color themes myself. If you find a theme that inspires you it can be great fun to shop for anything when you have the theme to use as your guide. Each of the themes are different. This is just one screen shot of one of the themes... there are many of them. I hope it inspires you!
  • 12 years ago
    I loved the curved sofa's and the colors you are working with here. I think once you move the TV into the basement, you could do a lot with the bare wall whether it would be adding a mirror or an art piece. It looks great so far!
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe instead of a "real" fireplace, how about an aged/weatherd looking fireplace surround? Then you could hang/prop a big mirror or painting above, create a black area where the fire would normally go and decorate w lots of candles. (Hope this makes sense;-)
  • 11 years ago
    Love your sofas! I would do a soft grey & white scroll wallpaper to blend with the rug and cushions to blend with your dining chairs. A mirror on the wall where the tv is with a simple console under it. I like chemaynes ideas, especially the cushions and I would consider some plain grey(?) curtains. Keep us posted with pics.
  • 11 years ago
    Original post is from July 2013.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Nice colors! Put some artworks http://society6.com/prints
Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars40 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21