0

Awkward Corner Space - HELP!

Ali R

I'll take all the help I can get. I'm struggling with what to do with my corner space between our couches. We have a small house and our layout options are limited - see pics. Additionally, I'm stuck in a brown rut and am open to any color suggestions or really anything you see could be improved.

TV on left hand side, stairs on right

TV cubby area... help!

Another view of living room

TV on RH side, limited space with piano and stairs...

Spenard Builders Supply - Eagle River

I like the idea of the lamp. Just not a fan of that particular lamp. I searched to find something that I thought I would use in the space just couldn't find anything that really looked awesome.

As far as the color issue. I would add a few throw pillows for a pop of color. Maybe add wall decoration in a different color see if that gets you out of the Brown Rut

Ali R thanked Spenard Builders Supply - Eagle River
  • chijim

I think the space may look a bit more open if your sofa went on the wall and loveseat in front of the windows.

Do you have an objection in general--meaning not a budget thing, to just a bigger endtable and table lamp in the corner?

I think you thought leaving the corner more open would open your small space, but unfortunately, IMO, it's coming off as more of a hole

Would pole lamp work over by piano?

Ali R thanked chijim
  • Ali R

No objections, I'll do some searching and see if I can find a bigger end table and table lamp. Thank you both!

• Ali R

thoughts on what color / style I should go with for a round end table or where to find a larger one? Doing some quick google searching and they are all pretty small.

• Susie .
    Are the sofas slipcovered? I can’t tell from the pic. That’s an option - different color slipcovers. Agree you need more lamps, and end tables will make it more inviting. They will also distract the eye from the brown mountains. Throws and pillows add color. Different curtains can also help. The TV seems too high, but maybe it’s just the perspective. I’d also get a large round coffee table or ottoman in a color other than brown or possibly a nice print.
    Ali R thanked Susie .
    BeverlyFLADeziner

So the sofa should be placed on the long wall. Lower the sconces.

The loveseat should be placed on the windows wall

Place a tall lamp on the end table and move the floor lamp somewhere else.

Add a matching round ottoman for the room.

Lower the TV

Ali R thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • groveraxle

Replace the wreath between the sconces with art. I wouldn't lower the sconces; I'd remove them altogether.

Your TV is too high and your console is too short. Since you have it on a small wall, the best you can do is a console that goes from one end to the other.

Ali R thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle

TV lowered. floating cabinet end to end:

• latifeh hammad
    What do you think of adding some greenery on the side table or a small tree
    Ali R thanked latifeh hammad
  • groveraxle

Because of the angle of your photo, I couldn't actually install your furniture, so I just dropped it in your room. I agree with switching the sofa and loveseat. Get a big square table that isn't brown for the corner with a proper lamp. Get an ottoman with legs. Hang big art over the sofa. Use the colors in the art to inform the colors in the rest of the space.

Ali R thanked groveraxle
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Move the furnitures as suggested and then take a new picture of the area. There is no room for a tree in the corner where the end table is placed.

Ali R thanked BeverlyFLADeziner

The first thing i would do is get a new rug that is any color but brown. You got yourself into the brown space now it is time to get out.Put some actual art on the walls and the wreath can go on the front door. As for the corner a table and a nice large lamp is the answer.Take all the little stuff off the walls it is all too high anyway. The TV needs to be lowered , some colors from the new rug for pillows and I agree the sofa and lovesaet need to switch places.

Ali R thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Pat, the carpet is wall to wall.

Ali R thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • groveraxle

Oh yeah, curtains need to go to the floor.

Ali R thanked groveraxle
  • Ali R

you guys are awesome. This is my weekend projects. Updated pics to come. Thank you!

• chijim

I would do a square endtable big enough to fill the space/void--and to balance the sofa/loveseat, with a table lamp on the larger size in base and height too.

Curious, is the sofa in front of windows for TV viewing?

Ali R thanked chijim
  • Ali R

Mostly, yes. Although the walls the sofa and loveseat are currently on are the only places we could fit the furniture

• Ali R

OK, only change I've made so far is moving the couches. Is this spacing good in the corner our should I push the loveseat closer to the sofa? (ignore the dogs and hideous vikings blanket!)

• Ali R

Is this art too small for the wall behind the sofa? (obviously would be hung)

• Kate W
    I think the art is too small and needs more color :)
  • groveraxle

Yes, that art is too small for over the sofa. Your art should cover 2/3 - 3/4 the width of the sofa. Also remove the art from between the windows. Nothing belongs in that space.

• groveraxle

Suggestion on the art: since your room is so thoroughly brown, look for something lighter with a bit of color.

• groveraxle

Here are some budget ideas that will take your room to the next level:

1) Raise the curtain rods and get curtains that go to the floor. Get enough panels so they don't look skimpy. When you close them, they should still drape in nice folds and not look flat.

2) Get some larger pillow inserts so your pillows look plump instead of flat. Maybe add a pillow to coordinate with your art.

3) The photo grouping I show above is from Ikea: 8 frames with coordinated art for $40. I chose the blue set to add a bit of color to the room.

4) A square end table in metal for a bit of shine in the corner between the sofas. I moved the sofa forward to meet the loveseat and might put a sofa table between it and the wall as a place to set your wine. I wouldn't load it up with a bunch of stuff.

5) Replace the current brown ottoman with one that repeats the colors in your art.

Ali R thanked groveraxle
  • Ali R

Making progress...waiting for some purchases to be delivered. Wondering for the curtain rods if the oil rubbed bronze is ok or if I should go lighter (off white? White?) Or darker (Black?)

• groveraxle

Your current curtain rods are fine. Just raise them to as near to the ceiling as you can and still have curtains reach the floor.