0

Best way to identify a plant.

Md Arshad Ali

Hello guys, I started taking care of plants on my terrace 3 months ago. But I am still not so good at raising them{(few are like half dead). So, I decided to identify the name of the plants and learn how to grow a plant to its best form. I used Google lens in my smart phone to identify 15 plants till now (I just visually compared the photos to my plants.(I am not sure if my jasmine is Jasminum Auriculatum or multiflorum. I am not sure if my other Jasmine is a Star Jasmine....) Also, I thought I could figure out how to grow them after a few months of experience but its not working for every plant.

Finally, my 2 questions are

1. How to identify a plant accurately?

2. Where can I find a reliable guide or manual to grow a plant?

Post clear photos showing any details like leaf attachment, undersides, flowers, fruits/seeds, etc. on the Name That Plant forum. It is very rare that one of the experts there will not accurately ID the plant!! And be sure to divulge where in the world the plant is growing. Limit the number of different plants in each post to just one or two as it starts getting confusing with too many.

Once you have the plant identified, you can find various online resources that will tell you growing conditions and care requirements.

Md Arshad Ali thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)

As far as I can tell none of the plant pics you posted is a jasmine. The third plant with white flowers looks like Nerium Oleander. I have mainly encounter pink flowered variety.

Generally speaking, tropical plants need a lot of light and warmth. Indoors it is hard to provide the required amount and levels of light unless you have a sun room or very large windows facing the Sun. Plants that have adapted to grow in shade are much easier house plants.

Most house plants suffer because the soil stays too wet too long with very little air in the soil. Most commercial bagged soil are poor choice for container growing - they hold too much water and have very little air.

Soil needs to be free draining loose textured soil. If you would like to spend some time understanding soil start here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2842847/container-soils-water-movement-and-retention-xxii

Md Arshad Ali thanked tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)