Software
Houzz Logo Print
steph_millington

Pantry-less kitchen

7 years ago

We have lived in our current home for about 1 year and the kitchen is something I can not seem to get organized to function well for us. There is ample cabinet space but no designated pantry. My thoughts are to add on counter cabinets or a reach in pantry off of the kitchen to the left . But not sure if I'm sold on either solution.






Comments (9)

  • 7 years ago
    You have the perfect space for a reach in pantry, question is, can you find a match to your cabinets?
    Steph Millington thanked K R
  • 7 years ago

    we had a corner cabinet that had a 2-level lazy susan inside. it was deep and held bigger pantry items. two upper cabinets held the smaller things. anything really big (like bulk packages of paper towels) got stored somewhere else, not the kitchen. worked just fine for us, but we're just two people.

    Steph Millington thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    I would not do counter cabinets, no. And IMO you have way too much dark wood in your kitchen as it is. I would not put another wood piece of furniture right next to all of that existing cabinetry. You won't be able to match that color of cabinetry, so even if you did find a standing pantry, you would need to do an obviously different wood finish so that it didn't look like you were TRYING to match it to the cabinetry and failed, and I don't think that would look very good. Before I tried to do anything in that area, I would see if there wasn't any other space (like a small hall closet close to the kitchen) that you could turn into a pantry instead. Another option might be a free standing stainless steel rack to stack dishes or to stack canned good. Or a free standing metal bakers rack. Or you could get a free standing metal piece with tiered baskets to hold all your root vegetables, etc. In other words, I would do something more creative to create more usable space that is also decorative before I just did something functional in more wood that didn't look very good.

    Steph Millington thanked cpaul1
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    That space to left can add a furniture hutch.

    Or

    Stack 12" deep wall cabinets to make a pantry. If 8' ceiling, build a base as tall as existing toe kick wrap with toekick. Then hang a 42" cabinet on top, then another 42" on top then crown. Skin sides. Or get 2 panels on both ends.


    Example of stacked cabinets




    The regular 24" or 27" deep cabinet party could work but probably too deep there.

    I think going white to match trim would work, plus brighter keeps room looking bigger.

    Steph Millington thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    What items are you having needed space for?




  • 7 years ago

    I would rather move your huge fridge into the space on the left side of your sink. Build a cabinet around it, cover the sides. Then see what makes sense for the old fridge space. Everyone has to walk through the one-way-in kitchen now to reach the fridge...you would improve the flow a lot by making it easier to access.

  • PRO
    Steph Millington thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • 7 years ago
    You have a very sizable kitchen, I would consider going through your things and seeing if you can pare down on anything. It looks to me as if you probably have kids, So I would imagine you might have a collection of Tupperware/other containers, there are a lot of options on the market now for more space saving alternatives and more modular systems. You could also try going through your pantry goods and putting them into modular containers that fit close together.
    I would just consider what is currently inside of my cupboards and see if everything is actually serving me.
    Steph Millington thanked Plantmom Meli