0
Find the right pro for your project

Looking to identify this large flowering shrub

Donnie

This is at the edge of a bank parking lot here in my town in northeast Georgia. Here are two pictures from spring (April) and one made recently (early winter). Can anyone tell me what this is?

• Donnie thanked Annette Holbrook(z6b-7a)
  • Donnie

It could be...but I'm thinking the leaves don't look much like those.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

I also don’t think it’s a Viburnum which has leaves that are opposite on the stem. That typically creates a visual pattern from a distance which I don’t see here, but a photo that shows clearly a branch and attached leaves would clear that up.

Viburnums also have buds with fuzz rather than scales, and yours appear to have scales in the last photo.

Donnie thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • macranthos

Some sort of prunus? It’s not a Heteromeles arbutifolia, right?

Donnie thanked macranthos
  • Donnie thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

You can eliminate Viburnum since the foliage is alternate, not opposite. It's something in the Rosaceae. I've never seen Heteromeles arbutifolia. Could that be it? Or perhaps Photinia?

Donnie thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I have never seen toyon outside of California.....not even here along the upper west coast where a lot of CA natives are well adapted........but I guess it is possible :-) I am still leaning towards Stranvaesia/Photinia.

Donnie thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Donnie

Thanks for the responses, guys. Googling photos, I'm not sure it's any of the above. The leaves look different. The evergreen leaf does resemble a great deal the cherry laurel which we have a lot of around here, but it's not that, due to the berries.

• macranthos

Could you zoom in on a picture of a leaf and a picture of a berry? The uploading feature on Houzz results in a drastic reduction in resolution. All we can see is this...

... which isn’t good enough to tell features clearly.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b

Not Heteromeles (toyon) but looks to be Rosaceae for sure.

• dbarron

Could it be Enkianthus? That stuck in my mind, but I don't know if it makes berries.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I'm viewing on an iPad and can zoom in excellently. But I'm none the wiser. Definitely Rosaceae and definitely not Enkianthus.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b

Photinia of some sort?

Donnie thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Photinia/Stranvaesia was suggested above.

• Donnie

Looking around a bit further, I'm thinking maybe Chinese Photinia? Whatever it is, it is certainly beautiful and apparently thrives with little care in this area. The only other Photinia I'm familiar with is the red tip—those were wildly popular around here many years ago, but they were all destroyed by a fungus. So if this is a type of Photinia, it must be resistant to that.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b

Thx did not catch that Stranvaesia was the same as Photinia.

• thedecoguy

Photinia serrulata looks good.

• Donnie

Yes, I'm almost certain now that's it. Thanks.

• Embothrium

Looks like Fraser photinia to me. Photinia serratifolia (P. serrulata) is so named for its coarsely toothed leaf margins. Something I am not seeing on this plant, which also looks structurally like Fraser photinia otherwise.

Donnie thanked Embothrium
  • Lindsay K (DFW, Zone 8a)

Looks like Chinese Photinia?

• Embothrium

Best way to finalize particular kind of photinia at this point would be to compare representative clipped samples of it with other plants elsewhere of known identification. As might be found at arboreta, botanical gardens and college campuses for instance.