Software
Houzz Logo Print
sheryl_nikpoor

side by side islands

7 years ago

Hi. I am considering putting 2 islands in my kitchen, but I prefer them to be side by side with a space of about 3 feet between them, rather than just one long island. Do any of you have any suggestions or experience with this type of design? how about pics, i haven't been so successful at finding pics of what I want. thanks.

Comments (10)

  • 7 years ago

    Why have 2 islands with just a 3’ passage between them? That is a tight squeeze. I’d rather have just one island I wouldnt have to squish to get around.

  • 7 years ago

    "Squish to get around" . . . most interior door widths are 30 - 32". The typical front entry door is 36".

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I guess it comes down to the reason you want 2 islands. Is it just because of the look or are you having , meaning one island with a sink and the other with a cooktop or something? The other question is , how big will each island end up being? If they are less than 5 feet in length you really are better to go with one 8 or 9 foot island. If you have a really huge space then definitely do 2 islands. So give us some more info and we can help you .

  • 7 years ago

    Can you post your room dimensions/layout?

    I assume you mean something like this first image (islands are side by side on the short side) vs the second image?

    (Side by side on long side:

  • 7 years ago

    What is the reason for doing two islands instead of one? I have one long island (15’), but we have seating at one end (2 stools on the short side and 4 stools on the longer side) and then storage on the other end. I could understand it if you had the stove on one side of the island and the fridge on the other, for example, but if you don’t have to constantly walk from one side to the other, then I don’t see the point and you just lose storage space. We did have to have a seam in our countertop, but I barely notice it. I considered doing two islands because someone suggested it, but I didn’t think it would look right in our space because of where the windows are and the stairs to the family room on the other side of the kitchen.

  • 7 years ago

    Would help if you could draw a floorplan showing the proposed two islands...show the surrounding rooms as well so we can see how everything relates

  • 7 years ago

    Hi. Thanks. We have a long space rather than wide, I mean there isn't room for one in front and one in the middle (back to back), so 2 longer ones would work better. Also we do a lot of entertaining and I think one for prep and one for seating might be more practical

  • 7 years ago

    Hi. Yes, I think we are going to have an island in the center and then an "L" shaped island around it. I have hired a designer, so we are waiting on the plan. Once we have that, I can better decide what to do. thanks for asking :-)


  • 7 years ago

    Hi, thanks for the reply, I hope you post update when you finalize everything.