carmen_pangelinan

time to remove the boob looking flush light...for my son’s

My son is four, turning five.
The theme on his room was Greek theme.
I love chandeliers, but most say go with the fan. ....but, another friend said don’t do fans because of mites.
He doesn’t run hot, yet, or say he is too hot.

• IdaClaire
    last year
    last modified: last year

He actually likes rainbows, not planes and robots...my husband is military and would never allow rainbows on his room.

This is heartbreaking. It really is. Your baby boy is four. FOUR. For the love of all things holy, give that child rainbows in his room, and tell his father to get over himself. (What, precisely, does he find so objectionable about rainbows?) Your little guy's room doesn't LOOK like a little guy's room. He'll be 14 before you know it. Then you'll turn around and he'll be 24, then 44. Point is, he's going to be a small boy for such a very short time. Let him BE a small boy, and celebrate with him the things he loves most.

Featured Answer
  • iheartsix
    last year
    Carmen, just to be clear I was not suggesting planes and robots for your sons room, simply sharing what my boys were into at this age :). You know better than anyone what your little guy loves to play with and be surrounded by. Enjoy this time fixing up his space :)

Help creating a welcoming foyer

Yes, lose the glass doors to the living room. Add a small Oriental rug at the door to protect the gorgeous floors. Install a ceiling dome to take the eyes up for visual height and install a hanging fixture that more reflects your style. How wide is the space between the staircase and living room? If there is room for it, add a round table under the light fixture so you don;t worry about hitting your head on the new fixture. Keep the chair rail and consider adding framing beneath to resemble raised paneling. Paper above with a warm welcoming paper. Some framed prints going up the stairs will also carry the eye up. I suggest you remove some paint on the stairs to determine if the are a nice wood. If they are not, consider painting them an espresso color. and perhaps add a sisal runner. Hope this helps! Enjoy you new home! :)

Ugliest wall ever?

Maybe take shelves and put in another room? I then would take fireplace mantel out and add one that is a more rustic wood just above fire place and then add rustic floating wood shelves on both sides of fireplace not many 3-4 on each side. Paint metal on fireplace black with heat paint/spray paint. Now walls on either side should be the same paint tone, a warm glow tone. Then I would add more modern curtains and a rod, a black rod and softer toned curtains with large rings for hanging, then add bamboo shades or wood looking ones to match the wood on new fireplace. I would also paint the coffee table and end tables maybe a mat Black to incorporate the dark grout in the stone wall. I would recover the white pillows on the couch with a beige tone. Then accessories. If you can get a cover to match the grey/blue green couch and put on the white one I would, or like I said just try to match the pillows then. I like the stone wall :)

please help, I can't decorate my livingroom

Hello I have been reading the post and wanted to add some ideas for the Livingroom. 1. Furniture does not have to be on a wall. You can put the loveseat back on to the stairs leaving walking space behind it to go up the stairs and in the other rooms. 2. The TV should only be mounted on a wall with a mount that you can move around, swivel. Tv stand would to big. 3. Rug that fits the room. Not float in the middle but goes under the front of all the furniture. 4. Drapes 5. Cool standing lamp. Something that is you. 6. Round glass coffee table as the couch is dark 7. One end table 8. Plants 9. Pillows that match your drapes 10. A throw for the back of the couch in a lighter color in the winter to make it warmer. Hope this helps

Help! Ideas on updating my new kitchen

Well it has now been 3 months since we moved in and you guys were right. The progress isn't at all where I thought we would be at lol
  • gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    last year

As a mother of 3 (now adults), I'm sure your 4 year old son doesn't care that there's a "boob light" on his ceiling.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    Maybe a drum light?
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    ?
  • oaktonmom
    last year

All of the lights you are posting look like they belong in a dining room, kitchen, entryway or stairwell.

• pandtkendall
    last year

Forget picking out a darn chandelie! Here is the perfect opportunity to try to bring your child and his Dad closer together. What interests do they share or have in common? Sports, watching on tv or your son learning to play? You need to get these 2 guys together. Kids books or movies? Pets? I doubt many 4yr olds have an inate interest in Greek architecture. He’s 4 and a kid! Let him and his Dad find each other. If they pick the wrong fan or lighting, so what?!

• Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    @pandkwtel this is a decor app lol
    No my four year old doesn’t like sports, he doesn’t even like playing with boys that are rough. His highest interest is Food.
    He doesn’t even care for super heroes. Yes he loves going to the movies (he goes for the popcorn and candy) doesn’t matter what we watch, as long as we packed a bunch of snacks.
    So he doesn’t know about the ancient times...he actually loves his room.
  • cawaps
    last year

There is a whole world of neoclassical and classical revival lighting that would be appropriate for a Greek themed room. I think flush mounts are most appropriate for bedrooms, especially when ceiling aren't particularly high. Maybe something with a Greek key motif.

• oaktonmom
    last year

Does your son spend any time playing in his room? I think a kids room should be happy and cheerful. Honestly, his room looks depressing and dreary.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    @oaktonmom. No, he has a play room downstairs that he shares with his sister.
    And our house only the bedrooms and bathrooms are upstairs nobody hangs out there we just go there to retreat to go to sleep.
  • oaktonmom
    last year

Carmen, in that case, I think the boob light works well in the room. Any type of pendant or chandelier doesn’t work. As your son gets older, he’s going to be into many more things other than food. Before you spend money on a replacement fixture that you’d like to work with your theme, wait a few years and let you son give some input Into what theme he’d like.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    Thank you. Oaktonmom. He’s had his room like that it’s been like the nursery I still have his baby picture it would be very hard to remove lmao this is a Pano of his room
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    I think the star one would be cool...
  • oaktonmom
    last year

Carmen, I’m beginning to see that your son’s room is more about you than about him. Clearly you’re sentimental about the room. The baby picture is adorable and okay for now. Having raised children and have grandchildren now, the first thing kids ask when they visit a friend’s house is if they can see the bedroom. That’s because a child’s bedroom should reflect who they are and what interests them. The room as it is now isn’t a child’s room. It’s kind of a scary, mideval looking room. Please don’t take offense at my remarks, it’s just my opinion.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    Honestly I’m a little shocked and everyone’s opinion on how my sons room is decorated it is simple, it is clean, there’s no junk or clutter everywhere... people trying to assume that my son likes a bunch of over the top boy things.... my mom’s side of the family came from Malta which is also very rare because Malta is a small island and famous movies like gladiator, Troy, and games of thrones was filmed there.
    His first out of the USA trip will be to Malta.
    This is him whether he knows it yet or not.
    I asked for opinions specifically on lighting that suits this room, whether or not it suits your opinion on his room Decor.
  • Lil S
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think what we assumed is that a child's bedroom is playful, rather than mature. Any suggestions are meant to be helpful and are merely opinions.

• vinmarks
    last year

Did you ask your son which light he likes? You asked which of the lights suits the room of a 4 year old boy. The responses you got were none of them suit the room. They don't look like lights that belong in a 4 year old boys room. They look like something that belongs in a dining room or foyer. And what does Malta have to do with a light in a 4 year old boys room? There are plenty of ways to teach your child about where you are from without decorating his room like it is an adults room.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    Believe me if I could give him llamas and rainbows like he likes I would but I don’t want to fight with my husband every day here it he fights with me when I paint his toenails as he requests and he also wanted these white kids that just had a rainbow tongue.. it’s annoying I know, but if I did something like this for my son I’m just starting a fight with my husband. Plus again my Son loves his room and he does take his friend to it and they all go in there. Thank you everyone who took the time to post I think I will do probably just recessed lighting, although when I asked my son what he wanted he wanted a sparkling crystal chandelier (yes that would go great with the rainbow)
  • dchall_san_antonio
    last year
    1. Anything that hangs from the ceiling in a boys room becomes a target.

2. This is him whether he knows it yet or not. YIKES! My adopted daughter was born in the middle of Russia. Now at 20 years old, she could not be more American. You may have a rude awakening before this is over.

3. my husband is military and would never allow rainbows on his room. Your husband definitely has a rude awakening coming.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    @dachall I just asked him AGAIN, “do you like your Room?”
    He said Yes.
    So just because you think he doesn’t, you are wrong.
    Same with my daughter. Who is Six, she has her one year baby photos up and I asked if she wanted to change it. She said “No” she like them...
    And I enjoyed seeing my baby photos up, too.
    When he actually asks for change, I will give it to him but right now he’s not and he probably won’t, still, when he has six just like my daughter.
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    @dchall. Well yeah your daughter was raised as an American we actually still have culture and we have a house in Malta and go there every year.
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    On top of everyone who does not think that he likes anything he’s actually always asking for more Maltese shirts (and yes they actually have knights on them, or maps, and he loves to wear his Maltese necklace and he knows what it is)... you guys are by far so rude in assuming you know my family.
  • Lil S
    last year
    last modified: last year

Has anyone commented about the (very cute) baby photo? I don't think so. It's the wall sconces, ram's head, urn and chandelier that are atypical.

• oaktonmom
    last year

Carmen, I don’t believe anyone who has commented on this thread intended to be rude or insult/your family. Asking a 4 or 6 year old if they like their room is like asking them if they like their mommy or daddy. Why don’t you google pictures of ‘little boys rooms’ and see if he likes any of them. I wonder if it’s not you that’s imposing your culture heavily on your children. I’m not saying that your shouldn’t expose your children to your culture, but I’ll bet he doesn’t own any character T-shirt’s other than the Maltese. Seems to me you havent given your children any options other than the Maltese options. Just wondering if your children are home schooled.

• Lil S
    last year

Back to the original subject...are you wanting to replace the overhead light because it's too harsh? How about a lamp on the nightstand? That would be a quicker fix and more pleasant for bedtime stories.

• Bluebell66
    last year

Out of all the lighting you posted I like the Monrovian star the best. The others don’t seem quite right for a kids bedroom. I have seen the star used in nurseries and kids rooms and think it could be used for many types of decor. A teen boy may not like it, but you could change it by then.

Depending on the weather where you live, you might want a ceiling fan. I know some people don’t like them, but we love ours in warm weather.

I do think your son likes his room because that’s what he knows. I have four little nephews under the age of 6 and none of them cares what their rooms look like, and not one of them has asked for specific type of decor. (I just asked the two moms!)

I love the baby picture, but agree with the others that the rams head, sconces and such aren’t quite kid decor, but who cares if that’s what you want in there and clearly your culture matters to you. His friends are not going to look at those sconces and say they don’t look age appropriate, either, and since you have a playroom, they may not even even hang out in the bedroom.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    He also pointed to this room however I don’t think his dark furniture will go well with this type of brown.
  • melle_sacto
    last year
    last modified: last year

What about a neutral ceiling fan that doesn't have lights, and a switched outlet for floor or table lamps. We use the specific task lighting in the bedrooms quite a bit.

I love the bedroom you shared with the brown/tan rainbow, I see it as a nature-themed bedroom for a boy or girl.

This is just anecdotal, but my youngest son loved pink for years. Around age 8 he told me that he still likes pink but that it's a color for girls. So he had picked up on social cues and changed his behavior accordingly. I guess I wouldn't worry too much about a 4 year old boy liking things that are traditionally girly, it sounds like he's just wanting to share activities and interests maybe with his older sister and his mommy! :-)

• dchall_san_antonio
    last year

Please don't blame us for not knowing your family. You are introducing more information with each of your posts. That all helps. If you have a Maltese culture in your home and visit often, then your situation is most definitely different than with my Russian daughter.

I still say a hanging light will be come a target. As soon as he gets a baseball or football, the light is a target.

Why not paint the walls with images of Malta? One of my daughters liked horses, so we had a 4-foot tall picture of a horse face painted on her wall over the bed. Or if you're going Greek, paint a mural like the Parthenon, but with a rainbow in the background. Symbols and images from Greek mythology??

• k9arlene
    last year

The room that your son pointed to is light and cheery. Perhaps you could get some lighter curtains and add some art to lighten up the room and remove the sconces. Maybe even paint a color of his choice.

• Mrs. S
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think if the boy has a strong cultural affiliation, then it's nice to celebrate that. He has expressed his likes as much as any 4 year old, pointing out he likes rainbows, and a nature-themed decor. He likes to paint his nails. OP, you are right that many folks want to decorate a boys room around what he likes. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with keeping a kid's room simple, and not decorating it like everyone else does. But if you come to a decorating forum, you're going to get that kind of advice. And a lot of probing questions, because people are trying to help you, and it's natural to want to help your kiddo.

I do think that a discussion about a light fixture seems sadly irrelevant if the kid's father (because he is military? I don't understand that...) won't support the boy in his un-traditional likes and activities. I'd support the kid in what he likes, and take some of the advice about murals with rainbows in them, to make it nice, and reflect his cultural heritage. I'd gear up to be the support that kid might need in the future, and to help the dad appreciate the kid he has, whatever his interests.

• IdaClaire
    last year
    last modified: last year

Seems to me the OP baited us by alluding to her husband as a "manly" man who objects to a small boy's effeminate tastes. Don't come in here giving us that kind of unnecessary and inflammatory "information" if you intend the discussion to ONLY encompass the damned light fixture.

• Kate E
    last year

I like the fan!

• Steve J
    last year

As a guy, when I was a kid and had 3 of those lights in my room, they'd automatically become a swing. I'd choose the fan also, as it's also functional.

• k9arlene
    last year

Pretty harsh words Ida. i didn’t see her “information” as being inflammatory. She was just describing her situation. Your post, however, was inflammatory.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    Update. I brought all his toys to his room (cubby, rocking horse, books, he picked out super blue curtains)
    Basically, I reclaimed the formal dining that was the children’s play room for 6 years (I have a daughter) and now their toy/ fun/ stuff can all be in their bedroom.
    And I moved onto changing other parts of the house.
    I will be paint his room eventually.
    I feel like the Gloomy feel might be solved with paint. Example, my whole house is beige and I have painted two rooms to “agreeable grey” here are a few before and afters to lighten up the mood.
  • k9arlene
    last year

I love agreeable gray. My daughter‘s whole house is painted in it. Your rooms look great! Glad you are getting new curtains for son’s room. You might think about getting new bed linens to coordinate with the blue curtains. I’m sure your little one will enjoy having his own space to play in without having to share it with little sister. Lol. Glad you found the motivation to change things up in your home! Enjoy. Also, please thank your husband for his service.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    So when ahead and just chose a light and after painting my room walls I honestly feel like this room just needed a paint job... despite the other comments.
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    New paint, new feel
  • iheartsix
    last year
    Very nice Carmen. I love how you’ve been able to incorporate the Greek feel along with the fact it’s a little boys bedroom. Nice job. In the end it’s all about what you want your home to be and it should reflect the people who live there :)
  • Marian Macias
    last year

Hi Carmen, in no way I am trying to offend you or the way you have decorated your home. That being said, your son's bedroom do not scream "kids bedroom" to me.

This is how a kids bedroom should look like, should be decorated with things they love, things they have created, like their paintings and crafts, their favorite stuffed animals and favorite books. Things they have collected from countries or places they've been to, picture frames from their favorite vacation.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    @marian and I am sorry, if this offends you, your kids room had too much going on for me. And the color is too strong.
    I like when toys can be all put away. This is my daughter’s room and all her toys are in the closet.
  • oaktonmom
    last year

Nice job. Your daughter’s room is very pretty As well.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    Thank you @oakonmom and @iheartsix
  • Marian Macias
    last year

Carmen, no offense taken here. My daughter loves her room and her collection, she feels cozy and comfortable. I agree the color is too strong, when we painted the room we thought it would be a lighter pink, no problem, we'll let her enjoy it for a little bit and then I would like to convert it to a young girls room. I love what you've done with your daughter's bedroom, it looks beautiful.

• nhb22
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think your sons room looks nice. And if your son likes it, that's all that matters.

I appreciate that you are incorporating your heritage into his room. It's also a room that your son can grow with as he gets older. The new blue walls and white curtains depict the blue ocean and billowing clouds of Malta and Greece. Having a few toys in his room, as you do now, and a separate playroom for both of your children is a perfect solution!

My 5 year old grandsons room!

As you can see, my grandsons room is a seaside theme. His nursery was similar. The room does not always look like the above photo. LOL He has toys that are either kept in one of his walk-in closets, or in the playroom that he shares with his little sister. The playroom is very large and the primary play area. It's more colorful, and full of toys for a young boy (and girl) to enjoy. No restrictions on the mess, either! My grandchildren are very lucky to have all the space to play. Not every child needs to have a bedroom that is for both playing and sleeping.

BTW - Malta is one of my favorite places to visit. We have been there 3 times and will probably go back again some time. The history and beauty are a big draw to the area. The Blu Grotto is a favorite area of ours. Malta has great souvenirs!

My grandson. :)

• nhb22
    last year

Marian - I know what you mean about the color pink!

I made these curtains for my granddaughters nursery. The fabric is a very pale pink when loose and held in front of a light source. But after gathering them on the rod, we got this! Yikes!

• Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    @nhb22 thank you so much for the support and your share!!!! Love the photos:)
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    last year
    @nhb22 I love the girl room too! Looks very classy and clean
  • nhb22
    last year

Thank you so much!