0

Planning for a build - washable surface

Deborah Britton
We are building a new house and I'm looking for suggestions for what to do with the walls in the mudroom/laundry room. My husband is a truck driver and although he washes his hands a lot, it still seems like we end up with handprints everywhere near the door. Any suggestions for a surface that's good looking and extremely stain resistant or scrubbable?

• remodeling1840
    Are the handprints because he needs to support himself while he changes shoes? Maybe a bench would help solve the problem?
  • Deborah Britton
    Yes we are also planning on doing a mud bench for shoe removal, however it's almost as if the cherry bomb type hand cleaners leave behind a greasy residue. We also have 4 grandchildren and a dog so I'm looking for something I won't have to touch up every couple weeks.
  • Annette Holbrook(z6b-7a)

What if you paint with exterior grade paint? That’s what I did in our kennel, I can wash when needed and it’s held up fine.

The interior walls of our kennel are hardiplank siding with exterior grade paint.

• bpath Oh Sophie

It may not be cool, but vinyl wallpaper is outrageously durable and scrubbable.

• enduring

I like the ideas mentioned. Because of my bathroom/mudroom remodel 8 years ago now, I tiled it in 4x4 white simple tiles. I put epoxy grout in the spaces to prevent staining. My DH is a farmer, so the room sees dirt and grease. I ran my tile about 48" up the walls, with a crown on top. But if I thought that the upper areas were going to get dirt or grease on them, I would have gone higher. The tile wipes up very well.