Software
Houzz Logo Print
diane_mclean8

Bare Wood Staircase ( 2 )

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are painting our upstairs family room. The ceilings are 8 ft. The trim is wood and has not been stained. It is a large room, at 23 ft x 19 ft., which includes a staircase on the north side of the room. My dilemma is whether to paint the staircase. It is currently wood, the railing has been finished by urethane or a clear finish




and the spindles appear to be unfinished wood. The wood has darkened over time. The door to the garage is in a awkward spot and I don't really like the circular iron wall decoration in this location. I am thinking of painting the hand railing and posts. Possibly a darker rich colour for the railing and posts and paint-staining the spindles. I don't know much about paint-stains, but I like the idea of keeping the wood identity of the spindles, but lighting the pine and the knots.

And there is the wooden base board and the stringers to decide to paint or stain. The garage door should be painted the same colour as the walls and the trim surrounding the door removed. The garage door needs to disappear as much as possible ( in my opinion ). Possibly replace the paneled steel door with a door with no panels?



The windows and doors in the living room have been replaced and douglas fir trim added. We have urethaned the trim. My husband is a woodworker and loves the natural look of wood.

So... the question is do we stain or paint the baseboards the same colour as the new Douglas fir window trim or paint the baseboards the same colour as the walls. We have used the Farrow and Ball colour "Joa's White" on the south wall of the livingroom. It is a "safe" colour but calming. Perhaps a runner on the stairs? What colour for the risers. The runners have been recently refinished.




This a view of the south wall of the livingroom, showing the windows with douglas fir trim. Should the baseboard be painted or stained the same as the window trim or the wall colour.

The crown molding will definitely be painted the wall colour. The 8ft. wall needs to appear higher. Ceilings to be painted same a walls or add 20% of the wall colour to the white ceiling paint? The pot lights are new! I like them but the safety of LED lighting is now in question by some.

Sorry to have taken so long to describe all this. I am in a quandary about how to proceed. Your suggestions are quite welcome!

Comments (7)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I think a different style of window (if not in conflict with your home's exterior style) could have helped visually with the height issue. The three panes up top tend to lower the path the eye travels. I think it is a shame to match the crown exactly to the wall color. Maybe take it just a shade or two darker than the wall color, using the same paint color card to find a deeper shade of what you're putting on the walls. Do that first and it may help you see what to do with the baseboards.



    Diane McLean thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for commenting. Unfortunately, the cottage style windows will have to stay. They are just newly replaced. I like the idea of making the crown molding a slightly darker shade. A sketch is so effective in demonstrating design elements. Using a simple graphic program called "Paint" allowed me to draft up various replacement window configurations on the exterior of our house and choose the best one. We are thinking of using roller blinds as a window treatment. Perhaps a program like PhotoShop or Illustrator would help with colour decisions.

  • 7 years ago

    In general, I like to keep all the trim the same. Trim does not have to match doors - I have white trim, but natural wood doors. I would keep the baseboards the same as the window trim. Baseboards occasionally match the floor if it works with the other trim colors too, but the flooring looks like you are refinishing it? - not sure from the photos.


    For the stairs, I would either keep it natural to work with the rest of the trim, or keep treads and handrail natural and paint risers and spindles white. I am not even sure about doing the spindles white if the rest of the trim is wood. I don't see adding another color for the handrail - and painted handrails are an upkeep issue. The natural wood looks pretty and you've done a good job of finishing fir without turning it orange - good for you! You could stain the handrail a slightly darker color - but don't let it stick out as the only dark stained thing in the room. If you do that, treads should be stained darker too. The finishes all need to work together and doing things too many different colors / stains will not work together.

    Diane McLean thanked jhmarie
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks so much for your comments jhmarie. My issue with the staircase is that the wood looks drab or maybe its the orange look of the staircase which impacts the overall appearance. I am looking for some miracle product to lighten it to match the Douglas Fir trim.

  • 7 years ago

    In our previous home, I had the painter paint the interior of our doors the same as the wall color to blend in better, as they stood out to much for me.

    I don't have any photos to share, as we are now in our new location/ new build. We have a T&G fir ceiling & alder doors & trim. You can go view on my page, under idea books; New Build/Gabe. I would have a hard time painting over the wood myself..

    Diane McLean thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • 7 years ago

    Hi jhmarie, your pictures of the staircase clearly illustrate what the white spindles would look like. My husband and I are thinking of painting the walls, and at that point we would have a better idea about what to do about the staircase.