Software
Houzz Logo Print
pippacovalent

Favorite albas?

7 years ago

I'm feeling like I need an alba in my collection and so far I like the looks of Felicite Parmentier and Chloris. Does anyone have opinions on these or other fragrant albas? I love very fragrant roses and would likely grow it in both my arid zone 5 and semi arid zone 7 gardens.

Comments (19)

  • 7 years ago

    I only have one Alba, but I'm thinking of adding 'Queen Of Denmark' because I hear it's the most fragrant of this group... I don't know why I've not had it before.. 'Maiden's Blush' is another which I have grown and should be considered I think..

    I've no idea about your zone requirements though... so I hope someone else can come up with something... I don't think many active members here grow Alba's so much unfortunately..

    pippacovalent thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Oh yes, Queen of Denmark is a rose I put on my wish list some time ago and I forgot that it was an alba. It's definitely one of the prettiest. I can't afford to buy them all at once and will have to choose one to start with which is always a tough decision. I think my temperature is okay for albas but I'm not sure if the low humidity is an issue although it seems like typically low humidity is better for many roses. We get snow and rain in winter and some dry spells in summer but I have drip.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    If you have the space for several, I'd suggest getting any Alba you find NOW. They're not often available, and they sell out fast. I've been keeping my eye out for them for my cemetery project, and from previous experience, the nurseries carrying them tend to have them suddenly available right around New Year's, then within a month or two they're sold out. Very rarely will one suddenly become available during the rest of the year.

    High Country Roses' Albas

    Rogue Valley Roses' Albas

    Heirloom Roses' Albas

    Roses Unlimited's Albas -- just one ('Mme Legras de St. Germain'), or two if you count 'Mme Plantier', mixed in among the other miscellaneous OGRs

    Palatine Roses' Albas -- just three among their "historic roses", and one already sold-out

    Hummingbird Roses' Albas -- just two ('Maxima' and 'Semi-Plena') listed, but the ordering window is closed until May

    I don't know if Burlington Roses carries any Albas. I know Rose Petals Nursery lists 'Semi-Plena', but it's not currently available. Rosefire has many Albas listed, but only one currently available. I asked if more were to be added for 2019, and was told that other Albas won't become available until 2020.

    So, if you see any, get them. Even if you're not sure where they should go, they'll be OK surviving a zone 7 Winter in a large pot outside while you're deciding. If you wait until you've chosen one and have it's spot ready, you'll probably have to wait until the following year before you find it available again.

    :-)

    ~Christopher

    pippacovalent thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • 7 years ago

    I have 2; Mme Plantier and Pompon Blanc Parfait. Both have an incredibly long blooming period for once bloomers. MP is almost thornless, beautiful flowers and scent. PBP has small blooms but lots of them and lovely scent. Both are in quite shaded spots.

    pippacovalent thanked smithdale1z8pnw
  • 7 years ago

    mad, it sounds like you're trying to talk us out of it, but your picture is doing just the opposite! How pretty!!! I really like Blush Hip, although I've yet to grow any Albas. Maybe next year as I'm just moving into some once-bloomers for my lower level.

    pippacovalent thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Vaporvac I was thinking the same thing! Providing the cons of a particular rose with a drop dead gorgeous photo is a bit of a tease lol :)

    Christopher you make a great point...I'm always open to arguments in favor of buying more roses as soon as possible:)


  • 7 years ago

    I have an alba semi-plena that's growing on a fence next to and intermingled with a male hardy kiwi (A. kolomitka) with shimmering variegated foliage. The pure white of the rose blossom, the sparkling white leaves of the kiwi and the blue hue of the rose leaves. And the wafting scent of old rose jousting for supremacy with the lily of the valley aroma of the kiwi. Visions of Camelot.

    pippacovalent thanked loneroc1
  • 7 years ago

    I don't know if this counts but I have an alba hybrid by DA called "Royal Jubilee"

    It's only finished it's first year but It's been a delight so far. Very floriferous, beautiful purple/pink chalice blooms with a lovely fruity scent. What I like about it the most however is its lovely airy growth, the canes and side shoots spread around evenly leaving plenty of room for air to flow and looks pleasing even when not in bloom. It also makes for a long lasting cut flower. Really looking forward to seeing how much it improves in it's second year.

    pippacovalent thanked Magnus - England
  • 7 years ago

    Indeed it is Magnus, and wait till you see it in the 2nd and 3rd year when it really takes off... it's a non stop bloomer... with fine foliage..

    Another Alba hybrid is 'Scarborough Fair', which is also a favourite...

    pippacovalent thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    I grow 8 albas but some are planted in awkward places because they grow semi-wild in so many country gardens in Sweden, especially the ubiquitous Maiden's Blush, Maxima and Minette, that I thought they needed nothing in the way of light or care. That's not true for any roses but I didn't know better then. Madame Plantier is a favourite but it's probably

    an alba-noisette and a little less hardy than the rest of the tribe, at least in my zone 5b garden. It has frozen three times in 24 years. That doesn't sound so bad but it's a minor catastrophe when it happens because it means two years without flowers or only a few blooms far down and it's in a prominent position.


    Other favourites are Chloris, a very tall rose I grow in a plum tree and Queen of Denmark. None of my albas have any diseases although albas are known for rust. My climate is dry, especially at flowering time in early summer so the flowers don't ball on Chloris. It may be different for you.


    Chloris after heavy pruning at the top

    pippacovalent thanked mariannese
  • 7 years ago

    I just ordered "Queen of Denmark" from Heirloom. I was supposed to have it already, but experts here agreed I probably had a second "Maiden's Blush" instead. Speaking to Christopher's point, I needed to order when I saw it in stock. I'm going to see for sure this Spring what I do have already. Worst case scenario, I have ordered a second "QoD" which will be great too.

    pippacovalent thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Felicite Parmentier is my most fragrant rose. She is a super wafter too, so I can find her in the dark with my eyes closed, wonderful!! She blooms for about 2 months here in hot, dry southern California. Mine has been here since the mid 1990s. She's in partial shade and is pretty darn drought resistant. Gets none of the usual ickies that plague roses in this climate--namely rust and mildew. Shown here on April 22, 2016.




    April 25, 2015





    May 10, 2014 with a little friend



    pippacovalent thanked Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Pretty! I just got cuttings today of Madame Plantier. Wish me luck that they root it's so pretty!

    pippacovalent thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Oh that's such a pretty rose good luck!

  • 7 years ago

    I had 'Mme. Plantier' all over the garden when I bought my house in Washington. It's an easy rooter and such a superb rose--only defect, the old flowers ball and stay on the plant. One of the most fragrant roses I've ever known, and a very easy keeper.

    pippacovalent thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you. I really hope all three varieties take, but I'm so drawn to the little button eye of MmeP. the other two are William Lobb and Jaques Cartier.

  • 7 years ago

    I stuck a bunch of cuttings in dirt in the fall and ignored them and most are budding now so it seems the trick is to ignore them lol.

  • 7 years ago

    Ha! I did the same last year and also had good results! I'm nursing about 30 cutting through the winter as a result, but as luck would have it, only a couple are ones I don't have or really wanted duplicates. I did it just to experiment. The MmeP and others are dormant cuttings kept in a cold indoor room, so I'm uncertain. I may bring some them outside in a couple of weeks and let them get natural rainfall.

    pippacovalent thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley