0

Decent quality Coco Coir at Walmart

Brian Sakamoto (10a, CA, USA)
last modified: February 8, 2019

Expert Gardener Coco Coir is selling at my local Walmart. Brought it home for testing against 2 other highly rated coco coirs from Amazon. Sourced near the oceans, coco coir has salts that often need to be washed out prior to use. After pouring reverse osmosis water through, Expert Gardener measured with the least dissolved solids:

Triumph Plant Coco Coir Bricks $16.95 for 6.26lbs: 939 ppm (Poor, needs lots of washing)

Coco Bliss Premium Coconut Coir $19.89 for 10lbs: 594 ppm (Ok, needs more washing)

Expert Gardener $7.97 for 8.25lbs: 119 ppm (Very Good)

Keep in mind, tap water is typically 200+ ppm so if you're not using reverse osmosis water, this is perfect out of the package.

• jbclem 9b Topanga, Ca

I also picked up some of that coir at the local Walmart. And I have a TDS meter...how exactly do you make your first measurements? Do you put some coir in a cup of water and let it soak for a while, then measure the water? Or what??

Brian Sakamoto (10a, CA, USA) thanked jbclem 9b Topanga, Ca
  • Brian Sakamoto (10a, CA, USA)

With a big kitchen knife or screwdriver, I remove a small 1 cup sample of the brick with just enough boiled RO water to expanded it without drip (expands much faster using hot/warm water) into a large container. Not having a spare pot available, I put some expanded coir into a kitchen colander as if it were a pot. Very slowly & carefully, I dripped water through the soil until there is enough drips to measure in a container underneath.

• gardnpondr

I am new to this and working now trying to get all the things I need to do this. Slowly but surely I am getting there.

Brian Sakamoto (10a, CA, USA) thanked gardnpondr
  • hex2006

A lot of coco`s are buffered to account for the cation exchange capacity (CEC) characturistics of coco media. Comparing the basic difference using ppm doesnt tell you a lot unless you know the elemental makeup of the water you are measuring.;) The higher ppm coco`s in the test may be buffered,washing would remove them. The lower ppm coco may be unbuffered,which will provide poor results because its not buffered ;)

Brian Sakamoto (10a, CA, USA) thanked hex2006