0

Laundry room dilema...

Gail Cannan

Is it a bad idea to expand a tiny laundry room into an adjoining bedroom to create a much more useable laundry/mud room area, but eliminating a bedroom? Would be going from four bedrooms to three bedrooms. While I would love a larger laundry area, I think it will ruin the value of the house. I would say most, though not all, homes in our neighborhood have four bedrooms. Thoughts?

• Jennifer K

It depends on how long you're staying in the house. If you intend to live there a long time, make the house work for you. You'll get much more value out of that than any notional loss you might eventually suffer during sale. But if you intend to move in the next 5 years, the best idea would be to talk with a real estate agent familiar with your market. They'll know what kind of hit you might take.

Gail Cannan thanked Jennifer K
  • Debbie Garrison

The last house I lived in had a mud room/laundry room/office area that was 12’ x 12’-

I took one look and said, I’m sold. Of course I loved the rest of the house even though it all needed updating. Everyone who ever came over was envious of that room. Three bedrooms is plenty, if you wanted to go from 3 to 2, I’d say no.

Gail Cannan thanked Debbie Garrison
  • tartanmeup

Is there any way to add to the laundry room without totally eliminating the bedroom?

• Gail Cannan

Unfortunately, no.

• ldecor54

Speaking just for myself, I would definitely do something like that. Three bedrooms is very common. I’d be surprised if it literally ruined the value of your home.

Gail Cannan thanked ldecor54
  • kazmom

An easy way to get an idea is to look at current listings in your area. What are typical 3 and 4 bedroom homes going for?

• Anne Duke
    If most homes in the neighborhood have 4 bedrooms, then you will lose value on resale. Everyone will like the large laundry room though.
  • artistsharonva

Ask a local appraiser or real estate agent to do an appraisal with & without bedroom to know in confidence.

Usually when a house is listed marketed comparables CMAs are done to like homes in the nearby neighborhoods.

Could technically lose value when a room is lost,however it's not to say it will prevent it from selling to the right buyer for the same price. But be prepared to possibly lose some.

• Susie .
    First, I’m not a realtor, but I am a real estate investor. It does depend on your market and neighborhood. A three bedroom/2 bath home is usually the highest in demand. However, your neighborhood may be different. It may lower your selling price, nonetheless.