0

what size island?

thaberman
Here is the new kitchen floor plan for our remodel. I have deleted the island from the floor plan as I would like to see what size and shape others would recommend. Keep in mind the island will house the sink and dishwasher.

• damiarain

Your picture is pretty blurry so I'm not sure what I'm looking at... can you label the various appliances and where the one doorway leads to? (see "???" in the below picture). Also, are there no windows? How do you plan to vent your hood? Do you have a picture of the existing floor plan? What are your goals for the renovation?

Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

I don't really know how to put this, but this is probably the worst kitchen design I've ever seen. It will be impossible to work efficiently in this space, island or not. If you're doing a remodel this needs to be addressed ASAP

• artistsharonva

to see better

• artistsharonva

Problem area

Have you seen a 3D of this layout ,yet? That corner is creating a cave back there.

With all due respect, there's got to be a better way. This layout honestly is bizarre.

• thaberman
    Sketch of original floor plan
  • artistsharonva

Spacing to determine island

• thaberman
    Labeled areas
  • Kristin S

What does the current space look like? What was the original plan for the dark corner? Is there no way to straighten the angled walls as part of the remodel?

• thaberman
    The kitchen is on the interior of a very open layout. The plan is to use the space that is now a small office located on the other side of the freezer wall. I will attach current photos
  • thaberman
    Behind the angled wall is the mud/laundry room which would become nonexistent if we were to straighten out the walls
    The Cook's Kitchen

Clearer pictures just make for a lot more questions. Who designed this remodel? Are you working with an architect? A kitchen Designer? An Interior Designer? Why are there so many odd angles that eat up space and create pinch points and other problems?

Can you post an as built floor plan of the existing home?

• artistsharonva

I am not seeing the true advantage of loosing the office to expand the kitchen due to the angles & it's taking everything the opposite way of the workflow.

Maybe squaring it off to recess fridge then make a pantry or storage closet behind.

This is possibly the most unfuntional kitchen I have ever seen Get some roller skates to start cooking a meal, why you have needed to add space is a mystery to me.You need a kitchen designer and not some cabinet sales person but a really good KD ASAP.

• artistsharonva

Why not adjust the space behind office to be a bar lounge on it's own without tearing the whole wall? Maybe just open the entrance more or a pass through?

• artistsharonva
    Here's a partially cleared layout so others can think on other ideas.

• artistsharonva

Here, maybe recess the fridge to keep kitchen more functional across. Scratch all those double ovens & get a slidein & undercounter oven.

It makes a huge space behind for something else. it's definately a more challenging layout.

It's not perfect, a sketch of concept to build on.

• artistsharonva

I would get some ideas here, then get a Pro Designer in your area to work on this unique floorplan. There's got to be a way to make it work. There's a lot of things that won't on the 1st layout posted. Glad you posted it before you did that.

• artistsharonva

Any houses in your neigborhood on Zillow which has a similar floorplan you can get ideas from for the kitchen?

• artistsharonva

maybe open to bar area on right of stove.

• thaberman
    Working with a design build firm, not a cabinet person. Reason for remodel is to get more counter space and a more functional island. Right now, the fridge is across from the dishwasher with only 38” of space between and it’s also one of the only prep areas. Same problem with 36” freezer and microwave on other corner of island. This is not a cookie cutter house but a great prairie style ranch that is different from any typical layout which does make it a challenge.
  • artistsharonva

Have you seen their proposed plan in 3D in that corner? I would request that to see why there is concern. At least make the bar shorter in the corner & or corner end cabinets.

• Kristin S

Any chance you could move the mudroom/laundry room to the current office space and then square off the kitchen?

• live_wire_oak

You aren't working with the right design build firm if they came up with that. That is horrible and wastes a ton of your money making your Kitchen worse. If that's their idea they are incompetent. If it's yours, they're still incompetent. Because they should have told you how bad it was. Move on.

Find a real Kitchen Designer who isn't trying to sell you anything. And who gives you feedback that dumb ideas are dumb ideas.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH

I don't know if this is much of an improvement (and maybe not worth the cost), but I'd try to keep the fridge on the working side of the main entry. Exact pantry configuration TBD: