0

Will Monstera Adansonii attach to drywall?

T T

I just picked up a Monstera Adansonii last week, and decided to try training it up the wall, using Command clips and jute cord loops so as to not damage the wall. I saw some pics online where monsteras (deliciosa) actually attached to their wooden support poles. My monstera deliciosa never attached to its pole, but it's bamboo, and more slick/less porous. I live in a historic loft, and while the wall is already "artfully" damaged, I don't know if the landlord would be too pleased about me adding to the "art" with rootlets embedded into the drywall. Will the adansonii attach to drywall? I will be taking it down periodically for a good drenching. Will that be enough to prevent it from attaching?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I have a feeling it would attach to the drywall. Drywall is pretty soft. I dont know how much damage it would do. I know my big Monstera Deliciosas could do some damage lol.

• petrushka

Epipremnum aureum attaches to paint/dry wall and makes rips/holes. even young plants. I think M. adansonii would too: it produces a lot of aerial roots.

• T T

Thanks, ya'll. That's what I was worried about. I'm gonna watch it for a few weeks, and see if periodic movement prevents attachment. If that doesn't work, I'll trellis it on wood.