Software
Houzz Logo Print
cgreisinger

Living room layout

We have a huge living room with a dilemma for a good layout.

One wall is all windows with a beautiful Mountain view, another wall with a fire place, one wall that has a door to outside (kind of our main entry door), and one wall with a piano.

We find the layout challenging to create a cozy space that allows us to enjoy the view but also have groups of people for conversation, or sitting by the fire to read a book with the kids.

Please help!

Furniture shape, layout, new cabinetry, etc. All suggestions welcome.

Comments (20)

  • 7 years ago

    Some photo's of the space would help (and maybe even a floorplan).


  • 7 years ago

    Thanks. I am trying to post them now. I will make up a floor plan also.

  • 7 years ago





  • 7 years ago


    First I'd change the carpet, it matches the walls and fireplace just a little too much (as in: a little boring). Two similar sofa's with small coffee tables (so you can move them around when needed). Switch piano and cupboard. Less different styles of seating, more coherence. Paint the cupboard a little darker, green maybe?



  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Nice space with great potential! Assuming you use the piano, I would


    Option 1)


    -place the piano where the large amoire is

    -eliminate the amoire, sofa table and other furniture

    -sofa where ringcreation shows above

    -2 chairs facing sofa

    -coffee table in between.

    -add lamps and end tables and decor.

    -art over fireplace needs to be nonbusy or choose art that is not a picture.


    Option 2


    Depending on how you live or your preference, you could also have 2 sofas, as mentioned above, or have a sofa facing the fireplace and 2 chairs flanking the fireplace.


    The only items I would keep are the piano and sofa (assuming you can restuff the sofa and it is in good condition.)

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you. Yes, we have some hardwood that we are looking to replace the carpet with. There are a few other issues that make the room challenging:

    We cannot move the piano to an outside wall as suggested, where we live is very cold and it is hard on the piano (needs to be on an inner wall).

    The most spectacular focal point on the living room is the view of the mountains out those two large windows, but in the evening the focal can become the fireplace. We really want to showcase that more.

    Any curtains, paint colours, moldings around windows, etc?


  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Hi Cheryl. I don't recommend drapes in this room. I did not realize wall was an outside wall.


    The first thing you need to do is decide the floor plan. There is just too much furniture in the room. I would try now:


    Move the sofa back farther from the fireplace

    Eliminate the sofa table.

    Place 2 chairs flanking the fireplace and facing the sofa.


    You can do this with existing furniture to give you a feel. Please move out the other furniture, like the cabinet by the fireplace and small chairs, etc. This is making the place feel over-crowded and clouding your new concept of the space.



  • 7 years ago

    Here's a rule I just made up and it will serve you well in this room. Unless you have two separate conversation areas, do not put any seating with its back to the group.


    Put the sofa facing the view. Put the two bigger chairs opposite the sofa and angled towards it. Lose the little chair and the chaise.


    Remove the gorgeous painting of the Indian from between the windows. Nothing goes in that space. It's too small for anything and distracts from the view anyway.


    Get rid of the ladder and everything on top of the piano. That busy fireplace wall needs to be radically simplified. And we need to find a place for that Indian. He should be the inspiration for this room.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Groveraxle's arrangement was my first recommendation, but not sure how that is going to work if you have to have the piano on the wall where it currently is.


    I agree about the Indian art. I also love that coffee table which is currently not being highlighted well.


    You need to declutter, simplify, simplify this room.

    Cheryl Greisinger thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Is there anyway to move the piano to a different room?

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you so much for your feedback. I am going to work at decluttering and moving some of our furniture around. The piano is going to be very difficult to move, and we don't really have another spot for it.

    It is really interesting to see the picture of how it would look with those changes already made.

    I will post updated photos as I make some changes.


  • 7 years ago
    following
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you. I spent some time decluttering and changing some art around. These pics show the wall where the piano is and the view wall. I am working to convince my hubby to move the Native Chief painting and will work at moving some furniture next.

    I also plan on changing the window casing to a farmhouse style and painting the walls white I thought.





  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Hang the cuckoo clock between the view windows. Remove the ladder and hang the Indian there. If you have other Indian related art, layer it on the mantel. Remove anything you can hold in one or two hands, and be judicious in putting items back into the room. Try to create small vignettes of 3 items in focal areas. I only see one light source. You need some floor and table lamps to give life to the room at night. How heavy is that bison? You might set him on the floor under the Indian or on the other side of the piano. What is the seating by the armoire? Is there TV inside?

  • 7 years ago

    The horse is a bit too heavy to go on the mantle. Maybe trade it with the items+artwork over the piano?




  • 7 years ago

    And the fieplace wall asks for offwhites and beige/sand colors. My advice: Don't paint the walls white. And I like your window frames, but if you do decide on changing them, make them match the other windows, neutral offwhite.

  • 7 years ago

    Stunning outdoor view by the way ;)


  • 7 years ago

    wow on that view!! Please let these ladies help you. Room will be amazing

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Looks much better.


    The best way to do this is to remove everything from the walls and all of the clutter. I recommend even removing most of the furniture.


    Please take down the bison, remove large console by the piano all of the things on it.