Software
Houzz Logo Print
shayne_estes

New home - minor kitchen dilemma!

7 years ago

Just bought my first house, a "built in 1949" coastal cottage and am moving in a few weeks. I am working with a very interesting looking kitchen. I'd like to keep the cabinets and counters in place, as well as the flooring. I am open to painting, replacing fixtures, changing out cabinet hardware, adding crown moulding around the window, backsplash, etc. Not ready for a floor or counter/cabinet replacement.


I already picked up new appliances. I will add those pictures as well.


Looking for any suggestions!







Comments (19)

  • 7 years ago
    A Roman shade from the ceiling would be good acoustically, and would be more in line with the cabinet style than crown moulding would be.
  • 7 years ago
    Cute kitchen!
    Definitely build on the cottage look. If you are happy with the blue colour then leave it, if not paint walls white. I would put tongue and groove white paneling on the full wall or add some wood shelving. Portable kitchen island in the middle of your kitchen would look good. IKEA if you are close to one has some nice and economical kitchen island without looking cheap. A kitchen island can be as simple as a long narrow pine table.
    You can build on this kitchen without spending a lot of money


    Notice the white wood walls and wooden shelves.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    It looks cute! I am not a fan of whatever that pole is above the window. I would also explore a real venthood instead of the microwave above the stove. A small counter mw could go above the dw or in/on a purchased/refurbished furniture piece by the wall with the small metal stand or under that window.









  • 7 years ago

    It’s super cute! Whats behind the curtain next to the fridge?

    Do you need the door between the kitchen and the rest of the house? It might help the flow to just remove it.


    i would recommend a large rug centered In the main space and an antique wood table in the open corner. You can use the table for extra prep space and add some storage below it in baskets or a shelf.


    For the rug, you could go with a real rug if you’re comfortable getting kitchen mess on it. Or you could go with a vinyl kitchen matt in a cool pattern like one of these https://www.rugs-direct.com/Store/nav/Category-Area-Rugs-Collection-Spicher-and-Company-Vintage-Vinyl-Floor-Cloths




  • 7 years ago

    There is a small pantry behind the curtainback. I was thinking of trying to find a small french door for it. The cabinets need to be cleaned and repaired a little bit as well. The counter is all scratched up. I think it's soapstone? But needs to be repaired a little as well I think.

  • 7 years ago

    If the counter really is soapstone, you can get someone in to fix it very easily. I don’t know where you are, but forum member floridajoshua does trips all over the east coast, if you don’t want to diy. Love the idea of A French door.

  • 7 years ago

    I am thinking adding a back splash all the way to the ceiling over the sink might help

  • 7 years ago

    I also think a glossy backsplash going up to the ceiling would be really pretty. The kitchen already looks good so just a few tweaks needed to put your fingerprint on it!

  • 7 years ago
    What a cute kitchen. Good shopping for a house! Wish we could see the rest. I would remove the rod above the window; I’m assuming the S hooks held pots. When you start looking for a door to replace the curtain, try a Re-Store or salvage store. You might find something unusual and perfect, and it’s great recycling, not to mention usually less expensive.
  • 7 years ago
    All your ideas sound great! You are on the right track! I would add a narrow counter height island in the middle of the floor. Maybe something with a coloured painted base and butcher block top. Good luck!
  • 7 years ago

    I wouldn't do anything except maybe remove the pantry curtain and add a rug.

  • 7 years ago
    Congrats! Adorable kitchen.
    You don’t need the black pole above window. You have a nice view and don’t need any window treatment unless you need privacy. You only need window trim if all the windows but this one have trim. You have a backsplash, and don’t need any more tile on the wall. However, if you want wall tile behind the cooktop, use glass Subway tiles in sea green or sea blue or any color of tile in fish scale shape. Keep the cabinet hardware unless they are worn. (Rose gold seems to the new rage in cabinet pulls.) Put something in that big void above the microwave. A wooden bistro set and small rug where the wine rack is now would be cute and practical. Is that a pantry behind the curtain?
  • 7 years ago
    Rolling bar cart or a movable island. You could find an old dresser, fit it with a butcher block top for a smaller useable island. Remove the glass door to make the space feel more open. Take down the curtain/pantry cover maybe leave it exposed?
    A new backsplash could be stained/pained tongue n grove or shiplap.
  • 7 years ago

    Wow, congrats on what looks like a really neat house!

    I'd just clean, fix what needs fixing, remove that pole with the hooks, add a cafe curtain or blind, or leave as is for now.

    Rug, maybe a small movable island.

    Will you be eating in the kitchen? If yes, a table, chairs.

    I wouldn't put trim around the windows. Just add some herb pots to the sill.

    Personally, I wouldn't add a backsplash, except try to match the soapstone and add a panel behind the range. I like the English look with a 4" backsplash and just something behind the range.



    In ideal world, I'd try to find a door for that opening above the microwave, replace the MW with an under cabinet hood and find a different space for the MW.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Congratulations on your new purchase. I agree with wlallen57 suggestions to add some white paneling on the full wall (Above Cabinets and Behind Shelves in Picture) or add some wood shelving.





  • 7 years ago

    There are no other windows in the house framed really, however we wanted to add marble to the backsplash. Significant other really wants a backsplash. I figured a window trim would make it look better than trying to wrap the marble backsplash around the window.

  • 7 years ago
    If the window frame is uneven (most likely) using a tile trim would be a nightmare. A nice wood trim around the window will help hide those possible issues.
  • 7 years ago

    Very lovely kitchen! And congrats on your new home.

    This kitchen doesn't need much.

    I would remove the rod over the window and fix little imperfections. Your floor is beautiful ( is it slate? ), it doesn't need a rug. It will make your kitchen busy.

    I think you still have to install your watercooker and coffee make, perhaps a butcherblock and other accessoiries? A small bistroset will be nice.

    Go live in it for a while and you'll see what your kitchen needs.