Software
Houzz Logo Print
jjcatalano

should I get a sectional?

7 years ago
Help, how should I furnish my family room? I have attached current picture with my old couches. I have 2 small children and 2 large dogs (one having white hair). Looking for dove gray performance velvet. Not sure if we should go for a section?? Main room for entertaining. Trying to keep room looking nice but functional. Keep seeing couches across from one another but not sure if you want to watch tv like that? Looking into getting Pearce sectional from PB but not sure if too causal? Love sloped arms but not sure if that is for formal. Please let me know what you think. I can fit 120 x 120

Comments (22)

  • 7 years ago
    Hi, Jamie! No, that’s not gonna work, cuz you will be walking into the back of the sectional, whether you buy right or left orientation. Generally arrangement around fireplace should be two symmetrical coaches with a coffee table in between, but it is awkward to watch TV that way, at 90 degree. The only other thing you might try is putting a circular sofa in front of the fireplace, or perhaps attempt to orient the sectional at an angle. But that last arrangement will depend on the proportions of the room. The angle should be fairly easy to move around, not crushing the space.
  • 7 years ago
    yes to sectional. flank the other side with smaller chairs. round coffee table.
  • 7 years ago

    like so

  • 7 years ago

    maybe this west elm one? the pottery Barn one is too fussy .

  • 7 years ago
    Thank you for the response. Actually, I went to West Elm and really like their fabric but they feel a little too modern and less comfort. Please explain what “too fussy” means? I did like the arms on their couches like the Paidge but they were much smaller
  • 7 years ago
    it seems like a casual great room to hang out with family..so will little kids and such I wouldn't do any rolled arms etc. seems too 'formal'. But if you love it go for it!
  • 7 years ago

    Sectionals can seat 3-4 adults max. (West Elm is for 3 adults only). Currently you can have 5 people seating comfortably on your couches and talking to each other. In both situations you can have 2 extra chairs. So, 7 adults vs 5 or 6 (depending on the sectional). Do you host parties? Do you have friends oor family members visiting you often?

  • 7 years ago
    I have a sectional. We seat 5-6 comfortably. all the time.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Comfort comes from an arm rest and 5 people lined up is neither comfortable or good for conversation IMHO. A sofa and 2 chairs is a nice combo with 5 people seating but at least they can have a conversation. I think your old furniture is a bit large scaled for the space and I would not do a velvet in a family room no matter how high performance it is . With dogs and kids leather is the way to go and a good quality all leather sofa can be both comfortable and easy to care for. Stay away from super soft leather and get a nice color there are 100s of colors to choose from in a good quality leather sofa. You could do 2 sofas and 2 chairs I think in your space .

  • 7 years ago
    Hi, Jamie! Just to avoid being a purist, let me say that the earlier suggestion of keeping two parallel coaches in front of a fireplace will preserve the fireplace as a focal point of the room. But if you don’t mind it being hidden by furniture arrangement, such as sectional then go for it. Who says otherwise? Still, it might be worth thinking long term, as our lifestyle always evolves. Is there any other room, a den perhaps for TV viewing? You see, there had been many discussions on Houzz about this dilemma (fireplace vs. TV) and a lot of folks feel that preserving a fireplace as a tranquil corner of the house, for reading or receiving guests, is a great move. But you would need another room for TV, of course. Seeing that you already mounted TV over fireplace I am guessing that you don’t have another room, or the idea does not appeal to you. So give it a think, and then do whatever your heart desires.
  • 7 years ago
    5 on sofa, 2-3 on facing chairs, I promise everyone has the best most rowdy good time at dinner parties.

    no to leather. It is tacky. it's just stuff. get something you like that isn't so precious you get mad if people actually use it.
  • 7 years ago
    Thank you for all your comments. Leaning towards pottery barn Pearce square arm sectional 120 x 120 however I do like the Beverley sectional but looks smaller 90x90. Just having a hard tine with fabric. Thinking light gray...
  • 7 years ago

    Love your new look!

  • 7 years ago

    It looks beautiful!

  • 6 years ago

    Just added these 2 new bench stools. I’m not sure where to put them?? On the rug or off the rug??
    Do they go?

  • 6 years ago

    We traded our 2 facing sofas for a sectional in our very small living room and love it!!! We easily sit 6 and have lively conversations. I have a large rectangle coffee table and can serve 8 a casual dinner. 6 on the sectional and 2 on small stools that fit under the coffee table when not in use. Enjoy your new sectional!!!

  • 6 years ago

    The 2 footstools look like something extra to walk around to get to the sectional. :). In my house I would probably stash them to the side and pull them in closer when you need them.

  • 6 years ago

    hey! love the sectional but most importantly, is it working for what YOU envisioned.
    I wouldn't put the stools there...perhaps a couple of soft bean bag type things that the kids can sit on while doing stuff on the coffee table.

  • 6 years ago

    PS - you could go bigger on the coffee table if you want!

  • 6 years ago

    also, scoot the sectional a little bit further away from the window...center it to fireplace?