Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youreunique

Treating termites DIY and what to do with vegetable garden

So we have eastern subterranean termites in the house, behind master shower. It's pretty bad and we have to replace a lot of wood. We're on a slab and the termites entered in around the plumbing. We've never seen mud tunnels on the exterior and I frequently check for them. Based on the estimates for termite treatment, we've decided to do it ourselves because we simply can't afford to pay someone right now on top replacing the shower. But I want to double check our termite treatment plan to see if there are any extra steps we can take or eliminate. What sucks the most is that last year, we poured a concrete patio and laid pavers that extend 43 ft. across the back of the house and then poured gravel on the other side. If we had used our noggins, we would have treated the exposed dirt prior to putting in all of this concrete and rock ugh. : / The house was built in 1996. I'm assming having an infestation would mean that we have more than usual activity underground.

We plan to trench and rod and to drill the holes in the concrete around the house to treat the perimeter with Termidor SC. We will pull back the pavers to treat underneath. Inside, we planned to treat around all plumbing. Boracare was recommended for the fresh lumber that we're replacing and for treatment of any exposed lumber but others have said that it can't pentrate the wood deep enough to be effective. My questions are as follows:

1. Should we use Termidor SC or something else to treat indoors around the plumbing? Just a little concerned about the chemical fumes emitting from the holes. Not sure if we need the bait and killer or repellent in the affected area. What is usually used for this type of application? Any type of caulking better to use after sealing the holes?

2. Should we drill into and foam treat any of the lumber adjacent to the damaged area? If so, any product recommendations?

3. I would like to place interior baits inside the exposed walls and ceiling. I thought about soaking cardboard in the Termidor SC and stapling it to some of the studs in the celing and wrapping it in tinfoil to minimize gassing off of fumes. Would that work for interior bait?

4. Should we drill into the concrete interior and apply the same treatment? Concerned about future cracks in the foundation from interior drilling.

5. We have a small wooden front porch that is about 2.5 to 3 ft. off ground. It's going to be difficult to trench underneath. What is usually done in areas like this?

6. We have wood mulch next to house and cedar mulch in garden area. Should this be sprayed or removed and replaced? It is my understanding that any mulch attracts termites.

7. Raised garden beds: This is really the only area besides my front yard, that I can utilize for vegetable garden so this makes me sad that I may have to remove the whole thing. The foundation for the garden is on a very slight downward slope away from house. I thought that I might remove all the dirt before treating so that I could use it again but not sure if this area will ever be safe to use for gardening again. I guess I would rather buy veggies and avoid termites but if there is any way to salvage this, I would love to know. I suppose I could have a flower garden. :)

8. How should we treat around wooden retainer wall?

9. Should we install bait stations after all this? Where do you put them if the majority of your home is surrounded by concrete?

10. Finally, should we remove all fallen trees that are in the woods around our house? Most of this is more than 50 ft. away. Or should we inject with Termidor SC to kill as many of the buggers as possible or leave them?

I know this is a lot so thanks for all of your help and advice! And I will post pics of the garden area as soon as I can. :)

Comments (5)