Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8029771

Bedroom make over

User
10 years ago
Hi does anyone have any ideas of colours, and style for my bedroom?

Comments (104)

• olldroo
    10 years ago
    Trial and error is definitely the best way, at least you have things to try. Great if you can get out of the pictures so easily and I like that that style is not feminine so isn't out of place for a MB. When you arrange the furniture, make sure you lay down on the bed too to view, put a book on top to check that and also thinking if you had a clock, you wouldn't be able to see it.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Dressers next to bed
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do have a beautiful antique vintage gold and white fur chair to sit next to far dresser.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My thought was to keep the far dresser, the one without the cupboard attached and move it to its original place. Then have 2 bed side tables?
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    How do you feel about it? Photos don't always give a good perspective but things don't look like they are drowning each other out. The mirrors are a good size too and don't really intrude and I think you could still do artwork over the bed, but take it higher than the mirrors. Lovely timber in your furniture too, it all looks good together, and the mirrors give it a lovely colonial/country look that I think is restful for a bedroom. I don't know if I would put any artwork in matching timber frames though, it could be too much.

The chair sounds gorgeous but I wonder at the value of putting it there? You can't sit close to the dresser because of the drawers and even angled the mirror height probably wouldn't work. Have you tried it out?

Lights are going to be tricky, I think the ones you have are a bit commercial, but I wouldn't rush to get anything till you are sure of the arrangement.

I suppose the next question is wall colour??
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes from here it surprisingly looks good. Our weather today is gloomy and taking pictures in this room is tricky as is, haha. Both dressers are very antique and worth lots. I love the natural wood for the bedroom, it creates a warmth. The lighting I was thinking the lamp you suggested before? Also wall colour...hmm not sure yet? Any ideas?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agree with frames I wouldn't go the same as the furniture ether. I agree about the chair I wouldn't use it in there any way.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What about art work? Still the botanical prints idea on the other wall?
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Haha, can't work out what I suggested before, I think we talked about a few things. Because of the Colonial influence of the dressers, I'm wondering about something like the lamp in this photo only smaller. I remember when DD moved into her first house she had two lovely old iron stands with a clear glass shade with flowers etched on it - old Federation type of thing. It wasn't very bulky, the shades angled towards the bed for reading light and they always looked lovely. Unfortunately, 4 kids sort of put paid to them, they constantly broke the shades. Don't know if you would even find anything like that now.

[houzz=
    Bedroom · More Info
    ]

I'm still in favour of a warm green for the walls, just how dark to go is hard to say when your light would be tricky. Go back to Amy's Fields of Gold chart, that is where you will get your colour, if they work with your linen, otherwise go with the linen colour, it works with the timber. The Oakland Hills Mansion photo Saya posted gives you a good idea of green with your timber too, the furniture is very similar in colour.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Yes, I'm still very in favour of the botanical prints, they are pretty timeless and I feel will add to the era of your furniture. Of course in those days, people embroidered that sort of thing, like you are just going to do that!!! lol. I actually have a whole book on embroidering field flowers and that sort of thing.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Funny you say about that particular lamp... I have a candle holder version. I'm pretty sure I know where to get them :)
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Haha funny you say about embroidery flowers, I have some in my cupboard which were my grandmothers. They were to sit pot plants on. White frame for botanical prints?
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    You mean you don't already have some in your garage??? What do you think of the idea?
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Why did I not guess that??? Yes I think white frames will look good, particularly on a green wall. Wonder if you might pick up any old ornate ones at Vinnies? The type that look like they have scrolly/flowery sort of things embossed on them or might they be too much.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love the idea. I just went looking for frames and found the frames you were talking about in white :) the take 8 x4 size pictures. Is that too small or ok?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love the idea of green walls and white ornate picture frames with botanical prints and I love the lamp style :) any ideas for a picture above the bed?
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Do you mean 6 x 4 or 8 x 6? I think you would probably need an 8 x 10 to look any good. I thought this was for above the bed?? This is something you could paint -

[houzz=
    Morgan Creek Residence · More Info
    ]
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Haha I saw this image the other day :) ok I thought you originally meant over the bed which I like the idea of :) how many botanical prints over the bed?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    3?
  • Catherine Giesige
    10 years ago
    Hi Shondelle, I just found this thread and love the two pieces you have in the room. I saw one of those Gentlemans Wardrobes on Gumtree, being sold by some who did not understands its value, for $45.00, but I was too late and it had sold. I think they look great there and think botanical prints would look lovely for the green and colour they would add. I think Your grandmothers embroidered doiley's would look fab sewed into a runner for the end of the bed. If you don't have enough there are plenty to be had at many op shops.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    A lot will depend on size and style and the amount of colour. I think maybe 6 so they aren't too high from the bed but then rise above the mirrors. Did you go through this - there are a lot ideas for totally different effects. You can go more with something soft and simple, where something bolder could be too overpowering.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/botanical-prints-phbr0lbl-bl~l_3507
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thankyou cathieg, I love the doilies idea and I can't believe the wardrobe sold for 45 dollars. So sorry you didn't get it on time. Roo - thanks for the heads up on botanical prints I shall have a look :)
    I also went to bunnings and went through the dulux and British paint colours. Colours gecko, umbrella green and olive reserve in dulux are close to the bed cover green and the colour called get together in British paints is close too.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Haven't got any BP colour cards but I have a Dulux booklet with Gecko and Olive Reserve. I know the colours still aren't 100% accurate in the booklets, but Olive Reserve looks very promising. Gecko in the booklet doesn't seem to have enough yellow in it, but there are two other colours called Wiggle and Enigma that have promise - a little bit lighter than the Olive.

Do ask to see their atlas - they usually hide it under the counter, but there are so many more colours and variations you wouldn't ordinarily see. Unfortunately at my local shop the tradies use it a lot with their grubby fingers, so I make the guy wash any pages I want to look at.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's strange gecko is lighter on my colour card apposed to inside the booklet. The colour enigma in the book is almost the exact same colour as gecko colour card? Strange....almost makes me not trust what I am buying.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was just thinking the colour the room will be is similar to the colour of a golden delicious apple. Leans almost more to a yellow?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If I can't find those particular federation home style lamps is there any other lamps that you could suggest?
  • Catherine Giesige
    10 years ago
    I have a matching pendant to this and it's on sale at Beacon Lighting. Is it too much for you? I personally love it.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Shondelle, don't trust the booklets, the card chips are almost 100% accurate. I think I would prefer a more green/yellow green than too much yellow/green, I think it would look a bit sallow with your furniture. With your south light though, I would still try a couple of sample pots first.

Cathie - LOVE that lamp, it is gorgeous and just what I had in mind. Do you feel it will compliment Shondelle's furniture?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    C
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Cathieg, that is exactly what I was looking for! I am going to beacon lighting :) I had a lamp like this when I was a little girl, takes me back, haha. Thanks roo for the colour advice I haven't ever painted my own house before so I am a bit nieve about it but very excited!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Isn't it amazing what a few heads together can achieve. When I first started my renovations, I found Houzz photos and ideas books were that extra brain for me - highlighting the obvious really, but I just hadn't stretched my brain that far.

When it comes to painting Shondelle, the lighting is the most important aspect, it can really enhance a colour or totally kill it. Even after years of experience here, I still never paint a room without using 2 or 3 sample pots first. I also get at least 6 sample cards of each colour and stick them together to decide the sample pots to try.
  • Cathy Ford
    10 years ago
    Hi, I suggest using a stencil on the wall your bed is on in a very light sage colour! That's it! (take your bedspread to the paint store with you to match the shade of sage! That way it's something new and not a fortune! Enjoy :)
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great idea cathy! It would be so easy to match the colour then :) roo I graduated from fine arts and love colour studies but when it come to my own things I'm hopeless even more so when it comes to my own house, haha.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    You are trying too hard!!! hahaha. The thing is, it only takes one suggestion and you can see straight away where to go................ until you get another suggestion and then you become like me, a headless chook.

Putting paint on walls is definitely in a category of its own - there are too many other influencing factors.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Agreed roo! Haha
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My husband and I went looking for lamps this afternoon and that one particular lamp is very hard to find here and when we did find some they were worth over 100 each. That's little tassie for you! Haha
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Any other styles lamps incase?
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Christmas is coming??
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Actually, that is Aussie prices for you!!
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Haha true! We went to beacon lighting but they don't stock what we were wanting. They mostly had ultra modern, sleek designs. Unfortunately tassie stores aren't as big.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We even went to antique stores and retro stores and nothing there too.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Shondelle, I just found those lights on Beacon's website - $79.96 with free shipping over $100. Is that a bit more affordable for you?
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    What I have in mind is basically something intrusive, but give you good light if you do a lot of reading in bed. I don't feel you want something too big or wide there, there is enough going on with the mirrors. There were a couple of other possibilities on the website - still having trouble downloading at the moment, but see if anything grabs you.
  • Catherine Giesige
    10 years ago
    Someone in Granton is selling these on Gumtree two for $20
    http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg1NzU=/$(KGrHqJHJEUFIfi,MQSeBSLqCNMwWw~~48_20.JPG
  • Catherine Giesige
    10 years ago
    That didn't seem to work
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow cathie I didn't see that on gumtree, thankyou :) thankyou roo also, beacon lighting didn't have those in the store but nice to know you can ship them down :) I really think that lamp is ideal for the bedroom :)
  • Emily H
    9 years ago
    Shondelle, Any updates to share? Would love to see how the space has evolved!
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    That is funny Emily, I was just thinking of Shondelle last night and wondering how things were going with her. I was especially interested in her kitchen and whether she had replaced her cupboards.
  • Duc Aaron
    8 years ago

What colors are you drawn to?

-----------------------------------------

Nimbus Bonus

Nimbus Review

EZ Popups Review

EZ Popups Bonus

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor