Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haleyjread17

Colour Scheme Assignment

Prairie Modern Designs
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hey everyone!

I am currently completing my Interior Design Certificate online and I've hit a snag with my current assignment on colour.

A Little Context: After graduating high school, I was terrified to attend college or university. I was diagnosed with ADD & Mild Narcolepsy (at the age of 13) which made everything about school very frustrating. It prevented me from developing self awareness, realizing my passions and created a constant feeling of doubt. At 28, I am now aware of my strengths and weaknesses. Distraction, procrastination and motivation are my current demons with this assignment.

The Assignment: Choose 3 colour schemes (analogous, monochromatic, achromatic, complimentary, split complimentary, triadic, and tetradic.

My struggle...

1. Where to start. Do I pick a colour and select a scheme that goes best? Find inspiration and choose the scheme that corresponds?
  2. I find that colour comes to me when I enter a space. It will usually tell me what it needs. In this case I don't have that option and I'm new to the process of a preconceived colour plan. Any advice? How do you guys/gals develop your colour schemes on paper?
  3. I've found myself getting so distracted with the colour of the counters, cabinets, furniture, etc. that I'm losing focus on the only areas required to be included. This assignment only requires colour choices for walls (and feature walls if applicable), trim (architraves, doors, baseboards, windows), & ceilings. How do you stay focused on the basics?

Mainly, I'm looking for advice. If anyone else has struggled in these areas or if you've found a way to conquer your distraction demons; please let me know!

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

- Haley

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

Did they provide a client profile or are you supposed to create your own client?

Prairie Modern Designs thanked Filipe Custom Woodwork
  • PRO
    Prairie Modern Designs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The home is a 1950's two storey home. The client is a young family of four, with requests for a modern design, open floor plan and casual dining. The attached photo is a rough floor plan I completed.

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

To me it sounds as though they are going to be the clients who will embrace the whites and wood tone colors in their designs. Wood tones are becoming popular again and will help with the wear and tear of a family of four. I would stick with a neutral palette and add color in the decor so it will give them more mileage in the new design in case they want to change their theme, they can just replace items as opposed to changing more permanent items such as flooring, cabinets, etc.

I would possibly think about going with the "greige" palettes for the walls and whites on trims. For this plan think about what type of flooring you would use since a lot of it will cover the layout. Pick something neutral and from there you can select your paint and so on.

Hope this helps

Prairie Modern Designs thanked Filipe Custom Woodwork
  • PRO
    Nanke Signature Group
    5 years ago

Much of your distraction likely stems from your passion and excitement for design! While a burden, it is also a positive thing.

In the design world, typically the best place to start is finding inspiration. This can be a tough thing to force, but for school, it's a necessity in efforts to meet assignment deadlines. After finding inspiration through magazines and online resources- Pinterest can be a great resource for this- determine a concept for your design and stick to it. Keep reminding yourself of the design concept as you make your selections. Doing so will put necessary limits on some of your distractions.

When you find yourself getting distracted, give your self a break and take a quick walk. Take LOTS of these mini-breaks. It helps refresh and refocus your mind.

For this assignment specifically, focus on the knowns -there aren't many- before trying to determine the unknowns. A web search for " modern color schemes" or "modern design" will help ignite the process. Given this color selection is for a young family, consider low maintenance colors and finishes, some relating to an inspiring yet calming environments, and those that are good for resale value.

Best of luck to you!

Prairie Modern Designs thanked Nanke Signature Group
  • PRO
    Prairie Modern Designs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you to every one of you who has commented. Maybe the reason I am struggling is the fact that I'm confusing myself. Your comments are very helpful!

Nanke Signature Group - You are so right. I need to remember that my distractions are just that; excitement! I am so loving everything about this learning process and I couldn't have pictured 10 years ago that I would be so in love with what I'm doing!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

The Assignment: Choose 3 colour schemes (analogous, monochromatic, achromatic, complimentary, split complimentary, triadic, and tetradic.

This is a specific assignment.

You need the framework of a color wheel. Determine hue family of fixed finishes and contents first and then plot them on the color wheel like this.

Prairie Modern Designs thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • PRO
    Prairie Modern Designs
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Lori :) I do have a colour wheel, however, the concept of colour without the physical perception of the space has been overwhelming haha.
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

Use the big infographic on this page to determine if it's analogous, complementary, tetrad, etc. Can also download this color wheel from the same page - just scroll to the bottom. https://campchroma.com/color-strategist-color-wheel/

It's a 10 hue family color wheel based on Munsell hue families. And the schemes you map out are based on the geometry of a circle - which just means there is a sense of balanced spacing between colors.

Prairie Modern Designs thanked Lori A. Sawaya