Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aigredoux

Pimp my dining room

Butternut
5 years ago

I "did" this room in a rush before Christmas, but it still needs work.

The furniture was my grandmother's, early 1970s Kindel Cherry. I had the chairs reupholstered from the original 70s fabric (an orange and avocado stripe) to the current cream damask crypton.

The wallpaper is new and I love it, Farrow and Ball Hornbeam.

The light is also new, and maybe a touch big for the space, but is staying.

The rug was inexpensive ($200) and I think a bit too short (9x12). The color matches but I don't think it's giving the "feel" I want for the room, maybe pulling it a bit too contemporary. I'm willing to take that as an oopsie and replace if necessary.

I use the room frequently to seat 10, including 4 little kids under the age of 7. So I need more seating (to replace the green Ikea chairs).

The tablecloth is there for function, not form, and is not beautiful but cleans easily.

My biggest issue with this room has always been the window treatments. The blinds are "nice" (hunter douglas) wood blinds, but I don't love them. I saw a picture long ago that I can no longer find with a curtain that was sheer on top and silk on the bottom, in white, a little bit whiter than the trim. I have been thinking about doing sheer from the top of the wall down to the bottom of the windowsill, and then silk below. I, with my mom's help, could make these myself.

So chairs, rug, window treatments, new tablecloth? Thoughts? TIA!

Comments (188)

• Butternut
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, I finally got the portrait of "Edith"...OMG this thing is huge and heavy. I struggled getting it into my car. My mother hates it. My husband hasn't seen it yet but will likely hate it, and think I've lost my marbles. My daughter loves it. Does it belong?

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I hate to say this, just being honest didn’t want to say anything before. But I’m in your mother‘s camp. I am somewhat traditional maybe more transitional but not that traditional, but maybe others will chime in that have different styles.

Butternut thanked wmsimons85
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

I think she's beautiful

Butternut thanked Cheryl Smith
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    That is a beautiful portrait and the story is precious. I love it. It looks like the background of the painting coordinates with your wallpaper. It’s a keeper for sure. Love it! Will look great in your room emphasizing your commitment to family!
    Butternut thanked Flo Mangan
  • salonva
    5 years ago

I think she totally belongs.

Butternut thanked salonva
  • Aphaea
    5 years ago

The portrait works fine, and if you love it then keep it. What I don't like about it is the frame. It feels out of touch with the dining room and much too traditional for your wallpaper. I'd probably take it, and a sample of your wallpaper if you have it plus the pictures you have posted here, to a professional custom frame shop (not Michael's) and ask for suggestions. I think the picture is a definite possibility but not the frame. You can put the frame up on CL or even just give it to a thrift store.

Butternut thanked Aphaea
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

I agree with Aphea. Maybe I would like the painting better there if it was in a different frame.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    The frame is part of the whole. If it feels too hold, give it a black wash to tone that down. Plus, if it is original frame, don’t separate the two. History is worth preserving.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    * gold not hold
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

How old is it do you know? Is it oil? I cannot tell in the photos, for some reason it doesn’t look like it.

• IdaClaire
    5 years ago

I think the art is the perfect complement to your beautiful room and would not change a thing about it. It really does look like an heirloom.

Butternut thanked IdaClaire
  • Butternut
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I wish I knew more about the actual provenance of the painting. I purchased it from an estate sale, so I don't really know. It's obviously a copy of a famous painting, Elizabeth Jane Gardner's "A Young Girl Holding a Basket of Grapes", as Penny so astutely pointed out.

It was advertised as 20th century and oil paint. I don't believe it is much more valuable than the $100 I paid for it. I hope it doesn't look like I'm pretending it's some rare art. But I do like it! Someone else must have liked it a lot too, to have chosen such a heavy and ornate frame. It probably weighs about 60 lbs.

Anyway, my DH got home and looked at it and HE LOVES IT. He never likes anything! I think I will hang it.

• Butternut
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm also looking at this rug...it's also at auction so I don't know what I would have to pay to get it. It's 10x14, which is the right size I need. I think the blue color looks promising. But it's a used rug I would have to buy sight unseen. It's hand knotted and wool, though.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Yes!!!! The frame new would cost $300-400 Great find.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I like the rug but not sure about color and so unless you can get really cheap it is big risk. I thought your wallpaper was more green than blue??
  • J Williams
    5 years ago

It has an amazing frame. My grandmother used to do oil painting copies of old ptgs.

Butternut thanked J Williams
  • Butternut
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ya, I don't want to think about what it would cost to buy that frame. A lot.

The wallpaper is blue, with definite green undertones. most "navy" doesn't match. The lighter color is sort of aqua.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Ok. I think you can do better on rug.
  • J Williams
    5 years ago

Oh, she’s a Bougereau? That’s interesting..

Butternut thanked J Williams
  • lynartist
    5 years ago
    I never got one notification for this thread!!! Anyway, like the art!
    Butternut thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    5 years ago
    This painting “ in the style of William Bouguereau “ is absolutely apropos to the time period of your wallpaper! It’s a great fit for this room! Great find ; keep it and the frame!
  • wmsimons85
    5 years ago

Well if you and you husband like it that is what counts. I didn’t think it was that old but it is charming. Love the rug but like Flo said maybe the colors could be iffy which is a shame.

• doods
    5 years ago

Your table is beautiful, when not in use get rid of the table cloth, you must have a drawer somewhere for linens, not too hard or time consuming to pull it out when needed! A nice centre piece and voila, I would sure want to show off that table!

Butternut thanked doods
  • RedRyder
    4 years ago
    Love the painting and it think it’s great for your room. Keep looking at rugs. Such a gorgeous place to eat - no wonder your family keeps showing up!
    Butternut thanked RedRyder
  • User
    4 years ago

That mirror is the unsung design hero of this room. Love it!

Maybe a sisal or jute rug would be nice (although not as comfortable). I love how neutral they can be. Something close to the color of the flower so it's adding texture but not competing for centerstage. White sheers or white linen drapes would might be really beautiful. I think those natural textures (like linen and sisal) go nicely with refined decor like the cherry table and chairs, the mirror, the chandelier.

Butternut thanked User
  • User
    4 years ago

How are the drapes coming along, Butternut?

Agree that the rug is going to be tricky...but I know what color the wallpaper is...and I know there's a color match carpet somewhere :)

In the mean time, get some paint chips and find the matches to the wallpaper. Keep them in your purse...

Butternut thanked User
  • Butternut
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Penny, I have a swatch of the wallpaper around somewhere...just don't find myself in the company of rugs for sale too often! Wish I had more time to shop in person. The curtains are a work in progress and I wish I had thought to take a photo when I had the semi-finished panel up, but they are down on the sewing table now. I hope to have them finished by this weekend. Here's what the sheers looked like when I had them up to measure:

She's up. I think I love her. My mother refuses to speak with me about the painting, so we will leave it unsaid :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Stunning!! Just perfect for this room! Great find.
  • User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Why does your mom dislike it? I have trouble really "hating" much of anything, so it's always interesting to me when anyone has a visceral reaction to a thing...

I love sheers...do you think that, being SO sheer, they should maybe be lowered to the height of the window?

Butternut thanked User
  • vandar
    4 years ago

Following.

Butternut thanked vandar
  • Butternut
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don’t know why she dislikes it! It’s really not like her!

Im afraid im not going to move the sheers now. I really tried hard to make little flaps in the wallpaper while hanging the rods but don’t want to test how well they cover if I were to move the rods. Plus the curtains are half done and I’d have to redo that too. Ah well!

• Amanda Smith
    4 years ago

I’m also finding the height of the sheers to be not quite right. I think they should be lowered to the height of the window. I noticed that they are not hitting the floor right now.

I love the painting and the frame but I think it’s a bit unfriendly for a dining room. I would relocate it to a hallway. Personally I’d like to see something happier in this space. Maybe dog art.

Butternut thanked Amanda Smith
  • doods
    4 years ago

Oh I don't like the positioning of the sheers either, imo would certainly be better at window height, they way they are now just looks out of place, with seeing the wall paper through them at the top and not going to the floor at the bottom. I agree with your Mom too about the painting, sorry, I guess we all see things differently huh.

Butternut thanked doods
  • lynartist
    4 years ago
    I would like you to push your sheets closer together. I think what is bothering everyone is the solid white header. If these aren’t so spread out it won’t be so obvious.
  • lynartist
    4 years ago
  • Butternut
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Geez guys. The curtains are not finished. They are just hung there for measuring. The curtains are not finished. They are just hung there for measuring. The curtains are not finished. They are just hung there for measuring.

I’m obv not going to leave them a foot up off the floor. And I’ll arrange them properly when they are done. I only posted cause penny asked about the progress.

I am not moving the curtain rods, no matter what you all think.

• lynartist
    4 years ago
    I think the height is just fine! I’m sure they will look great once they are done. I know once they are finished you will position them properly and that will make all the difference! Everyone is judging the look before these are finished and they are will be fine!!!
  • Amanda Smith
    4 years ago

If the curtain rods are staying there, maybe solid panels would look better.

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'm so sorry Butternut, I didn't mean to start anything. But...threads do help others that may have a similar issue and discussions about it might help them.

Anyway---like all things it's great to live with it for a bit and either love it as is, or change it if you so choose.

Butternut thanked User
  • Amanda Smith
    4 years ago

...And the rods extended to make the window appear wider.

• lynartist
    4 years ago
    I would have everyone look at this pic to see when they are drawn back a bit they look just fine!
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

This is a good lesson in how to choose art for a room. Choose what pleases YOU for your space, not what pleases others (even if it's your mother lol) or what matches the curtains or flooring or walls : ) .

Butternut thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • lynartist
    4 years ago
    I think she looks charming!
  • Butternut
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I got the curtains up, just in time for my SILs baby shower today. I like them and I doubt I’ll change them, but feel free to tell me your opinion of them anyway :)

And a gratuitous photo of Edith ;)

• jjam
    4 years ago

Turning into such a charming room! The curtains are great and I'm not usually a fan of sheers. But I love the way you attached panels to the bottom. The portrait looks like it's been there forever. It's lovely.

Butternut thanked jjam
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Beautiful! Love panel on drapes! Perfect touch! Nice job!!
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Lovely! I agree about the portrait. It belongs there. :)

• lynartist
    4 years ago
    Perfect!!!
  • PRO
    Kimber Feece, A Smith & Noble In-Home Designer
    4 years ago

LOVE lots of things about this room but you need drapery or some fabric shades...the wood blinds are fine but do stationary panels on either side to it to the next level....maybe in a stripe. Gorgeous room.

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

Kimber, you are commenting on old and/or resolved threads. Must check date of thread and read the comments