Software
Houzz Logo Print
rosefollyz5

Liz Druitt Passing

7 years ago

And now we've lost yet another champion of the old rose world. It hasn't been a good month, my friends.


Liz Druitt was the author of The Organic Rose Garden and Landscaping with Antique Roses. She formerly worked at the Antique Roses Emporium and after that was affiliated with Peaceable Kingdom Organic Gardens. She loved dogs, any gods, but she trained and showed her two Rhodesian ridgebacks.


But this really doesn't capture who she was. She was a brilliant writer - clever and funny and kind. We developed a Facebook friendship over many exchanges. Liz even wrote an obituary for my dog when Freya died, which I loved so much I included it in the photobook I made of Freya's life. We never actually met - just didn't happen to attend to the same rose events - but it felt like a true friendship to me. Near the end of her life, I once told her that she was the best friend I never met. I suspect I am not alone. She had many, many friends in the rose world, and in the dog world, and, I suspect, just about everywhere she took a step.

Comments (20)

  • 7 years ago

    But she was young!


    I met her once at the Old Garden Rose event at Tufton Farm at Monticello. She had moved to Birmingham AL to work for Southern Living and she had become involved with Rhodesian Ridgeback rescues. I remember her joking that her dog could talk, she asked him to speak, and he barked two syllables and she...interpreted.... those two syllables to say Black Spot. Smiles at that one.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked stillanntn6b
  • 7 years ago

    I love her books. She sounds like such fun! So sorry to hear.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    I also had the impression that she was not terribly old. I'm so sorry to hear this.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    I have and love landscaping with antique roses. I had no idea the author was in Birmingham. That's only an hour from me. I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. sending prayers and love to her friends and family

    Rosefolly z5 thanked pat_bamaz7
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for posting this, Paula. It sounds like Liz Druitt's passing was a loss for the rose world, dogs, her friends....everyone.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 7 years ago

    I'm so sorry to hear this. In addition to her books, I used to enjoy her on a TV show on PBS, back in 1990's?- The New Garden I believe? I remember one show where she displayed her own collection of antique roses in Texas. It was obvious that she was a lovely person, my condolences to her loved ones.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked pacrnca
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I'm so sorry to hear this! My condolences. I never met or spoke to her but enjoyed her books. I'm glad you were able to have such a wonderful friendship with her. She sounds like such a great friend to you and I know you will miss her.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Alana8aSC
  • 7 years ago

    Alana, thanks. I certainly wasn't in her close circle of friends. As I wrote, we never actually met. But I liked her tremendously and enjoyed our exchanges. I would imagine that the people who knew her face to face are devastated.

  • 7 years ago

    We all owe Liz a great deal ... and this passing leaves a terrible empty space.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked jerijen
  • 7 years ago

    I enjoyed her books, shame to lose such an expert.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • 7 years ago

    Yes Rosefolly, I read. But it seamed to me that you still developed a wonderful friendship through writing! I'm sure her other friends and family will greatly miss her as well!

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Alana8aSC
  • 7 years ago

    So sad! I too loved her books. But what a wonderful way to be remembered, through her books, and to keep her passion alive.

    I’m so sorry for her friends and family. :-(

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    Liz was young, 60-ish at most. She had been ill for well over a year.

  • 7 years ago

    Why people like her, dying so young? That I will never understand.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    I'm so sorry - what a terrible loss for all.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked suncoastflowers
  • 7 years ago
    I am also sorry to hear about her death. My condolences to her family and friends.
    jin
    Rosefolly z5 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I am so sorry. I also own a copy of her book.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked monarda_gw
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Yes, she was a brilliant writer, not only the wonderful books, but also articles here and there. I remember she wrote one about little garden fairies that were a delightful addition to the gardenl at first, but then became a pest. It was so clever I wrote to thank her for a wonderful read and she replied which I appreciated. Does anyone remember that story? It was in a small gardening magazine, Texas based I think. I kept it for a long time, but don't know if I still have it.

    Liz -- we will love you and appreciate you always <3



    Rosefolly z5 thanked roselee z8b S.W. Texas
  • 7 years ago

    I only met Liz in person a couple of years ago, but knew her prior to that time through her books, her work at The Antique Rose Emporium and, of course, through The Texas Rose Rustlers. She will be greatly missed.

    Molly

    Rosefolly z5 thanked jardineratx