Software
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_puttre

Before and After Pics

13 years ago
New paint colors really spiffed up my kitchen and dining area! Some new fabric for windows, recovered my island chairs and few new accessories. When hubbies job settles down, I hope to have him add some backsplash tiles around the counters--maybe those mosaics that are so popular right now?
Did I do okay? Or is it really awful.......

Comments (16)

  • 13 years ago
    I think it looks great - that rich dark blue (grey?) really brings out the lovely wooden cabinets! Good for you for not painting the cabinets ;)

    What paint colour did you use?

    And, is that the microwave, or a TV, in the corner over the red mixer?
  • 13 years ago
    It's not awful at all. How can you say that?!!
    Your hard work has resulted in a very charming kitchen area.
    KUDOS
  • 13 years ago
    Nice job, I would just add darker hardware on cabinets.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks. A bit nervous about such a dark color but "I" really like it. It is SW Navel. I too like how it brings out my cupboards. I painted my back mudroom and half bath SW Peacock. Love that too. I plan to paint the great room a gray color......later this fall. Thanks for the comments.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh and that is a TV in the corner. The microwave is over the stove. :)
  • 13 years ago
    the hardware pictured is nice but too rustic and heavy looking for this kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I can't see how your hardware (knobs) are made...but, this spring I refinished my cabinets and bought all new gold hardware, after putting them on, I didn't like the look.....so, I took them all off, hinges and pulls, and sprayed them with Rustoleum hammered black.... they turned out awesome! Just an idea....and btw...your kitchen looks great!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the comments and encouragement--absolutely an amateur here. :O Regarding the hardware, I will consider a change, but as the whole house has the same cupboards and built-ins throughout, I would hesitate to change just the kitchen? I would be afraid to change without having to do all and then that would lead to changing faucets,......... Just trying to do an update with minimum $$ and work. But thanks for the ideas! I love this site and drool over such spectacular rooms and homes.
  • 13 years ago
    Well done. I love the simple window treatment.
  • 13 years ago
    It looks BEAUTIFUL! Great job! I get nervous about darker colors too, but you can always repaint ( although its a pain in the rear sometimes ) I love your color contrasts. I wouldn't worry about trying to match all the hardware in every room because the cabinets are the same. Each room has it's own personality. They should blend and have a flow but don't need to match exactly perfect. That way each room has something interesting, subtle and it's own. I like Jean Ouellette's spray paint idea. You can always buy one hardware set similar to yours and do a test spray. If it doesn't work out you can just use that spray paint and hardware set on a different project down the line. There is ALWAYS a use for extra spray paint and hardware! :) Beautiful kitchen!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks again. Next is a new table cloth (wish it was a new table....) and I will use top fabric for table runner. Still not sure what to do with the door treatment. The fabric is so heavy it won't drape well is a small space.
    Also, any rug suggestions??
  • 13 years ago
    Love the dark paint. I wouldn't worry about changing the color of the hardware. It will look great with dark pulls! And the spray paint is the perfect solution. Go for it!
  • 13 years ago
    Ok, a trip to Lowes or Menards and I will get one or two to try out. :)
  • 13 years ago
    I have to say that I normally wouldn't like the idea of a dark color in a kitchen, but I think that what you've done is lovely! It's making me rethink my own (future) kitchen ideas.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Great job taking the info you were given and making it your own. Like the dark color, still bright and makes your wood cabinets look so rich.
    Great job!