Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

Surprisingly good in a vase . . .

7 years ago

"Schmidt's Smooth Yellow"



Comments (18)

  • 7 years ago

    Wow, that is gorgeous!

  • 7 years ago

    Picked yesterday -- so It's got a bit of a vase life.


  • 7 years ago

    Looks lovely, Jeri!

  • 7 years ago

    So beautiful, love the color!

  • 7 years ago

    Absolutely gorgeous. So charming.

  • 7 years ago

    What a marvelous golden yellow rose; it reminds me a bit of Lady Hillingdon.

  • 7 years ago

    I have been experimenting with SSY - my oldest bush is 15+ years old now. It came into bloom in Jan, and even with our relentless rain, it is now on its second flush. Once it got to be over 5 years old, it does bloom in flushes from Jan to Nov here. Most of my other roses are just peeking out - banksia lutea and Belle Portugaise have finally decided to bloom, late for them. My other 2 SSYs have taught me something. One is in good sun, and is doing well. The other one I tried to push the sunlight envelop a bit with, and it is planted on the South side of our house, but sort of below a huge Cl Cecile Brunner. Well, it is 5 years old now, and still sulking, when it is not going backwards, so I have taken this as a data point that SSY is NOT one of those roses you can talk into being happy in partial/mostly light shade. The next time we get a several hour break in the rain (it is pouring right now - second rain storm this week so far, rain total since Oct 1 here 45 inches and counting..), we will dig it up and put it in a big pot while I try to imagine where I might be able to put it - since it is able to grow in a pot, it might just end up staying in one, and living on the patio.

    Jackie

  • 7 years ago

    Ours is in excellent full sun, and it really is almost never without some bloom. I have been fascinated to see that the blooms have quite a nice vase life.

    This is day four, and the blooms really are pretty much creamy white, but still quite lovely.

  • 7 years ago
    HMF says Hybrid Multiflora, Hybrid Musk, Polyantha but since it must have full sun it sounds more Polyantha/Multiflora than Hybrid Musk. The pics on HMF also look pretty similar to Perle d’Or both for the shape of bush and flowers, except yellow instead of apricot. Does anyone know how it compares to Perle d’Or?
  • 7 years ago

    TOTALLY different from 'Perle d'Or'. Different in every characteristic.

    And I don't think it has a high % of Multiflora, because this is where Multiflora goes to die -- always chlorotic, and lacking vigor.

    This rose is NEVER chlorotic, foliage always dark and semi-glossy, and totally free of disease.

    It certainly is Polyantha-like in growth habit, (but not "Poly-Tea-Like") but has more of a Hybrid Musk "feel" to it.

    It has suprised me by being an extremely-durable cut flower.

  • 7 years ago

    I've never been a fan of Perle d'Or (I know, what is wrong with me?) but I've become fascinated with SSY as I've watched it unfolding here. It's utterly charming with those fluffy petals and how the color changes and is beautiful at every stage. The color is a rarity among polyanthas and for that reason alone it deserves to be passed on, and how nice that it's also disease-resistant.

  • 7 years ago

    Stephanie - after years and years of trying to figure out who SSY is by rose folks all over the world, it has been narrowed down to 2 possibilities - a truly LOST rose called 'Eugenie Lamesch' (Lampert, 1898), and a rose which HMF does not have a current source for called 'George Elger' (Turbat, 1912). Amazingly (to me) both of these roses have pictures or illustrations on HMF which do, indeed, look just like SSY. GE may be in commerce in Australia, but the US will not let anyone import roses from Australia.... sigh. Both of the options are polyanthas accd to HMF; I have no idea where all of those other types of roses named on HMF for SSY came from - possibly they just list any type they think it might conceivably be. Anyway, it is evidently either a lost or very rare rose indeed. But, that is not the important thing. The important thing is that it is a great rose, and is coming back into commerce. It will be sold at the OPEN GARDEN of the Sacramento Historic Cemetery April 13th, but you can also get it elsewhere. That is mostly thanks to Kim Rupert, who sent cuttings from the original bush I rooted all over the US and the World. Preservation is more important than an ironclad ID, IMO. Since it has NO THORNS whatsoever, none, period, I think it would be good for next to doorways, where children play, etc etc. Stays a nice smallish size, and blooms (here, at least) 10 months of the year.

    Jackie

  • 7 years ago

    Jackie said: "Preservation is more important than an ironclad ID, IMO."

    And that is SO TRUE.
    For me, a Study Name is just as good as any assigned name.

    And this rose would be a great one no matter what it were to be called.

  • 7 years ago
    I may need to add SSY to my garden! I do have a strong preference for thornless roses and love yellows. I have Perle d’Or and actually had to buy it twice since it was the only one that died on me, overwatered while learning the new drip system and I read later it’s known to be sensitive to overwatering. BTW does anyone know if Schmidt’s Smooth Yellow is shade tolerant?
  • 7 years ago

    Very interesting info, Jackie, thank you. The lack of thorns is certainly an added reason for this rose to stay around.

  • 7 years ago

    Here, SSY is in morning shade, but full afternoon sun.

  • 7 years ago

    My original one, which is doing great, is in sun in the winter, but high shade from street trees in the summertime. I do have one small one which is in more shade, and it does NOT like that! Going to move it.

    Jackie