Software
Houzz Logo Print
asif_ghani

Furniture planning and color palette

7 years ago
I moved into this condo few months back. But I can’t plan how to accommodate furnitures. Especially I have a small den where I want to have a home office and a play space for my daughter. But I don’t know how to do it.
First 2 pictures for the den. Next 2 pictures: where I did try to set up my furnitures. But I don’t know if it’s looking good.

Comments (17)

  • 7 years ago
    Hi there,
    Thanks a lot for your comment and advice. I took some pictures of my living room. I am so confused how to put everything together.
    My daughter is 7 years old. She needs a play space and I need a home office and I thought this Den is the only space where i can have both.
    I would like to move those kallax shelf (under the tv) to the opposite side of the pony wall. So that I can tuck toys and some files and mails.
    * but don’t know how to put it together so that it will look good.

    The whole furniture set up and planning to fit home office and play space in this den seem challenging to me. Please help
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Here's an option to consider. Take some measurements and see if your dining table and china cabinet would fit in the space by the pony wall and leave enough room to walk through. Turn the sofa to face the other way, put TV on the wall where the china is now above the piece that is against the kitchen wall. Convert the current kallax area to her play space and put your office in the closet.


    Carew Street, Sandringham · More Info


  • 7 years ago
    Thanks for your comment and advice. Well, we had the dining table and China cabinet by the pony wall before. The space became very cramped and didn’t have enough space to walk. Hence we moved it there.
    And there is no cable line or plug to have the TV at the opposite wall. And that closet is the only storage available in this apartment with a depth of a foot. I think this is how NYC apartments are designed.
    I wish it worked. Thanks for taking time to advice me and helping me to sort out this design dilemma
  • 7 years ago

    Is there an outlet near the short side of the pony wall for your office equipment?


  • 7 years ago
    Is that what you mean?
  • 7 years ago
    I have marked it for you
  • 7 years ago

    following...

  • 7 years ago

    What does your desk look like? How long is it and how long is that end pony wall? Would the desk fit there? Use the kallax cabinetry in the pony wall area for a play space. Put the piece on the kitchen wall under the TV if is is wide enough. You could slide that cabinet toward the window some to allow space for the desk at the short end of the stairwell. Not sure about the blue chairs yet.

  • 7 years ago
    Following
  • 7 years ago

    Following

  • 7 years ago

    What would be the cost of additional cable length wrapped around under the window to allow putting the TV between the windows? That might give you more options.

  • 7 years ago
    Hi there,
    I am so sorry to reply you late. I was away for a while to visit my sister-in-law in CT.
    This is my rental apartment so I can’t change any wiring or cable lines. I will definitely have the study table next to the china, but I can see the space is too cramped already. Having table there would have no space to move around. It’s an IKEA table belongs to my daughter. If I place the table in the living room or den, she will have some space to do her homework, arts and also I can use it for myself when I need it.
  • 7 years ago
    Additionally I will move the piece on the kitchen wall at the TV space and move the KALLAX shelves to the pony wall as suggested by you.
  • 7 years ago
    This is the table I am thinking to bring it in the den
  • 7 years ago
    How about I have the study table to the pony wall and place it diagonally where the blue chairs are now. And move all the kallax shelves on the kitchen wall. Please let me know if that sounds weird.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I've been away too. Not sure I understand your current plan. Try to keep things from being on the diagonal - it eats up too much floor space. Move things like you plan, photo and let's see how it works.