Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robertgoulet

What should we do for a range hood?

robertgoulet
5 years ago

So I am planning to get a 36" bluestar RNB rangetop. I was originally interested in a 48" wolf with a double griddle, but realized the 36" would be better proportioned to my space. With a 36" I have 33" counters and cabinets on either side...with the 48" those would just be 27s. So anyway, trying to be sensible and all that but I think a 12" griddle is not much more useful than a 20 dollar countertop griddle and if I wasnt getting a griddle, I preferred the burners on the BS...

So now I am trying to figure out ventilation...and I want to do the right thing, based on all the info on houzz...so oversize it by 3" on either side...make sure its 24" deep and 18" high....and I dont want to have a kitchen I am frustrated working in every time I use it (with a jet engine for a blower) so I am trying to get an inline or external blower. We were planning on renovating the bathroom above the kitchen soon anyway so we just accelerated that timeline so if I need to, I can run a chase through the bathroom so the inline blower can be in the attic and go out the roof. If I did an internal blower, it would just bang a right hand turn and go straight for ~7 feet to the outside wall.

But trying to find a hood and blower is quite a mess..

A. Despite how houzz forums tell you that you *need* a 42" for a 36 range...no appliance store pushes this narrative, and no consumers who do normal amounts of research on their kitchen remodels (read: not spending days in forums online like we do) are aware of it. The result is a very limited supply of hoods to get deals on (IE...available used or floor demo models etc).

B. Despite the importance of having an inline or remote blower to making your kitchen actually livable and functional...it seems only range manufacturers' hoods are "designed" to work with them. And while a non range-manufacturer's hood can be had for ~1000...a range manufacturer's model will cost you ~2000. I am really not sure why a $1000 hood couldnt just be used without the blowers in it hooked to a 10" vent pipe with 1200cfm being sucked through it...seems pretty basic...but apparently not possible.

C. Despite a seemingly well functioning blower (fantech) being available for a really reasonable price, there is virtually no market for hoods with which to use said blower.

D. Virtually no showroom has a 1200 CFM hood hooked up to demo to decide if any of this complexity with the inline/remote blower is really worth it to you...most of them barely even have a 36" or larger hood by any non range manufacturer (XO/Zephyr/Windster/Broan/Best)...just small displays with recirculating or fancy island units.

So my options (which I am looking for input on) appear to be the following:

1. Deal with the fact that we could potentially hate running the hood while entertaining in our new kitchen....Buy a Broan/Best or Zephyr Tempest II brand new, with internal 1200CFM blowers, and just vent vent 7' away from the range out the wall. I like the tempestII look better than the Broan/Best setup although a rep from Yale said the iQ12 blower by broan is the quietest 1200CFM on the market.

This setup would run me about $1500 and would not require a chase in the master bath above it (which could work in the new layout, but obviously it would save some time/money in the bathroom remodel if we didnt have to do it.

2. Buy a manufacturer's 42" hood brand new (Bluestar since thats the RT, or Wolf because I think its the best looking hood on the market, and it has good features). ~2000+ for just the hood...then maybe 500 for the fantech inline...or is it going to be a headache pairing a third party blower with an OEM hood? In which case it would probably be more like 3000/3500 for the hood and blower if I bought them both through Wolf/Bluestar.

3. Move up to a 48" Incredibly I can find deals on 48" wolf hoods...either dealer demos or used ones, or ones that people bought but didnt use in their renos and are now selling on ebay or whatever. So I could go back to a 48" rangetop, get the wolf, and get a 48" hood/blower (no way I would oversize the hood on a 48...just dont have the space) and probably save money over getting a similar 42" setup just because there is no secondary market for them.

4. Compromise on aperture...I have seen a couple deals floating around on 36"x24"x18" hoods, or 42"x22"x10"....I could save a lot of money (over option 2) if I went this route and paired whatever size wolf hood with a fantech blower.

Seems to me like Zephyr(or XO or whoever) should just partner with fantech, maybe sell a kit for 100 bucks to modify their hood so it works well with an inline/remote blower...and fill a niche in the market with minimal effort...but that aint happening...so what do you all recommend?

1. Internal blower on a 42x24x18 Best/Broan/XO/Windster/Zephyr/etc and save ~1-2k
2. Open up the pocketbook and spend ~3k on a range manufacturer setup
3. Move up to the 48" rangetop and 48" hood for the same or less money than Option 2
4. Compromise on aperture and get an inline/remote blower on a good hood with a slightly smaller opening
Other

Comments (14)

• DrB477
    5 years ago

I guess it would depend on how much you cook and what you cook? How often do you expect to run the hood on full blast while entertaining? I can you I have done that literally... never. I rarely use my 1000cfm hood above the low setting and while you can certainly hear that its on, its not obnoxiously loud. At medium the kids give me a side eye & turn up the volume on the tv or ipad a little if they happen to be watching something in the kitchen. On high, it IS pretty loud.

I did some stir fry last night and even with that medium setting is fine (embarrassingly I cooked myself a hamburger this morning for breakfast, I also used medium for that). And when I use the higher settings, its generally for a few minutes at a time and rarely/never for extended periods of time.

If a quieter hood suddenly magically appeared in my kitchen, I wouldn't complain but the complexity of doing anything other than an internal blower just wasn't worth it to me. No regrets.

• robertgoulet
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

great input. What hood/blower do you have?

I cook probably 4-5 nights a week, and I dont stir fry (yet) but saute/pan fry often.

• DrB477
    5 years ago

It's 54" thermador and it came "free" with the rest of my appliances.

• wishiwereintheup
    5 years ago

I'm going with a 36" wolf (6 burner, no built-in griddle nor grill) with a wolf 36" hood at my new place. I, too, saw the recommendations here about going at least 3" over on both sides. I chose not to because:

1. Added expense of going to a 42" hood.
    2. Losing another half a foot on the upper cabinets. (Existing kitchen had a standard 30" range, so I've already lost half a foot on the uppers and lowers.)
    3. Wolf recommends 36" as a minimum (i.e. 42" would be better but 36" will work).
    4. Frying and stir frying, which I don't do much of, can be done in the center as well when using my Lodge cast iron griddle/grill.

Wolf offers internal, in-line and external blowers. I chose to go with internal because it's cheaper and easier to access the blowers should something go wrong.

• robertgoulet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

re:Kaseki

When you say the hood aperture should be able to overhang the burners by 3"..do you mean the burner itself? or the range? Just curious....I am 6'6" and there is no way I am going to go with a hood deeper than 24" regardless of what best practice or fire code or anything dictates lol.

The main reason I was thinking an inline blower would be better than roof mounted is because we live in the northeast...so anything on the roof is subjected to a lot more than anything inside the attic...and its also a 2 story colonial with a fairly steep pitched roof so accessing the blower for maintenance in the attic would be considerably easier.

Just e-mailed fantech to see if they recommend compatibility with some hoods over others.

• kaseki
    5 years ago

"When you say the hood aperture should be able to overhang the burners by 3"..do you mean the burner itself? or the range? Just curious....I am 6'6" and there is no way I am going to go with a hood deeper than 24" regardless of what best practice or fire code or anything dictates lol."

Specifically, I should have said the intake aperture overlap the largest (to be used on a front burner) pan edges by about 10 degrees relative to vertical at the hood mounting height. This is for full capture of the highest velocity components of the plume.

I think it is fair to note that I mainly address best practice (as I understand it based on physical phenomena) as a goal for design; any lesser configuration is a personal choice of the person who has to pay for the configuration and deal with the consequences of choice. It would be very expensive to set up a candidate range/hood/blower/MUA configuration and determine for a given person's cooking just what level of uncaptured cooking plume resulted from that configuration, much less evaluate for persons likely to be present the match between the plume escape fraction and their tolerance for odor and grease, and from that make a recommendation.

• robertgoulet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Does it matter if a hood, lets say its 42x24x18 has 3" of metal in the front of it for the lights and knobs, vs having 6 inches? Basically despite them both being 24" deep, your aperture goes from 21" to just 18" doesn't it? Just curious since with all the talk on these forums about hood dimensions and sizes and aperture etc...I havent come across much conversation about certain hoods being better than others due to the design (in the sense of the control/light bar taking up too much space and making the aperture smaller).

Also does anyone know a rough cost for a wood/cabinet to put a liner in? I wanted to go with a canopy system as I mentioned above but when I called fantech today to ask if they had any hoods that they worked particularly well with (I was thinking they would know some brands where their controls mate up especially easily) they suggested their own insert. I ddint know it existed until the call but all their stuff just seems pretty reasonably priced...only ~500 for the liner?

• pittsburrito
    5 years ago

When I called Fantech last week to inquire about about hood compatibility, I was told that if the hood has a variable speed control knob, then it should be compatible with fantech's variable speed inline and exterior fans.

The hoods I've found so far that meet this design requirement are:

* Broan Elite E64000 series,

* BEST by Broan Classico & Classico Poco,

* BEST by Broan Centro & Centro Poco.

There could be more Fantech compatible hoods, so please feel free to add to this list!

• robertgoulet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I believe wolf should work as well.

• robertgoulet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Broan Elite has some crappy reviews...though they talk about it being loud so who knows if thats due to the internal blowers (which you would not be using with a fantech inline blower) or due to poor hood design.

Incidentally a rep from Yale told me the iq internal blowers by broan were the quietest on the market...notably more quiet than other brands.

I find the classico and centro to be kinda weird looking...though I just saw a photo of the centro in an installed photo and it looked ok.

Conversely, love the look of the wolf.

• opaone
    5 years ago

Your hood decision depends a lot on what kinds of cooking you do, how often, what your tolerance is for lingering odors, what your tolerance is for noise, and of course... budget.

More: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5161173/hood-faq

If you cook infrequently and when you do it's maybe cooking some rice or frying some eggs then just about any hood will likely do.

On the other end of the spectrum... We pan fry 2-4 times per week and entertain (with dinner) frequently. I really dislike the odors of meals past, don't want our house to smell like that, don't want guests to smell lingering odors and I really dislike loud consumer hoods. So,unable to find a consumer hood with sufficient containment area to work well, we're installing a commercial hood with an inline silencer & blower.

• opaone
    5 years ago

BTW, a 12" thermostatic griddle is actually quite useful. We've had one for about 2 decades and been quite happy. FWIW, our new range will be a 48" with 4 burners and a 24" thermostatic griddle.

• theanswriz42
    5 years ago

I bought a Victory Range Hood and the reviews on here are pretty solid.