Shop Products
ddawkins27

Pour Basement & Garage slabs before or after framing??

Hello! We are getting ready to start construction on our new custom home. It's a 1 story home with a basement foundation. Ive noticed that there seems to be some debate over when it's best to pour the basement & garage slabs and it seems to vary by contractor/subcontract. Some contractors prefer to pour the slabs after the house and roof are framed and some prefer to do it before. Im of the thought that it may be better to pour the slabs before framing is started but wanted to reach out to some other professionals for opinions. We live in North Carolina and anticipate having this foundation work started in the summer so it will be hot with some potential rainy days.
What are the potential cons of pouring the basement & garage slabs prior to completing the frame work?

I always pour garage floors after the house is framed, this is usually industry standard practice. The garages are back-filled with the foundation so you want for the dirt to settle before you pour a slab.

Here is a picture from a house I did a while back, right after roof was installed the garage slab was poured.

• 5 years ago

Thank you so much! Would you recommend doing the same thing for basement floors/slabs?

• 5 years ago

Different climate. But I have always done the concrete after the framing is done as that has been the preference of the second and third generation concrete and drain contractors I've employed. When access is difficult, you just remove a section of subfloor and/or wall to get the chutes in.

If you pour before there's the protection of a structure, you risk digging and setting drains and concrete in a soupy mess.

Building on a slab is virtually unheard of in southern Ontario.

• 5 years ago

Our garge and porch slabs were not poured until later on. We did have our basement poured but we are finishing the entire basement.

• 5 years ago

As Worthy suggests, for any slab, If it rains soon after the pour, you would be in a difficult situation. For a basement slab, if it rains before the roof is on, you might need to pump the water out. I've never seen a slab poured before the roof was on but in a very dry climate, it might be a risk contractors are willing to take.

I've seen here and there some builders pour the slab before the framing stages and by the time the framing is completed and roof is installed, concrete slabs have all kinds of stains on them, from weather or natural elements like water, leafs, construction elements like sub-floor glue being dropped on it, rusted nails etc, not to mention some start framing before concrete is cured completely and lumber being dropped on it, etc.

It's not a good practice to do it before.