Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_660000958

Which spice rack do you like best?

7 years ago

wall mounted spice rack or others?

Comments (18)

  • 7 years ago
    I am building a new home and the spice rack in the drawer like the previous post, sorted alphabetically and next to the range is one of my must haves. I have had the wall rack, the lazy Susan in a cabinet and the most awful..the two under cabinet pullout contraptions on either side of the range. Had to move the rug just to slide the things open.
  • 7 years ago
    No to this!!!
  • 7 years ago

    I prefer a drawer too, though in my case I buy spices in bulk, so I put them into low, wide jars that fit upright in the drawer, with labels on the top.

  • 7 years ago

    I have these pull-down racks, but I'm tall. I have one on the opposite side as well.





  • 7 years ago

    I keep my spices in squat metal jars with windows in their lids. The jars live in a drawer to the left of my stove. In the upper cupboard, at eye height is a little lazy susan (~10" diameter) for my bottles of oils and vinegars. The key, I find is to make sure you can easily see and reach any item in a storage space.

  • 7 years ago
    I also have the metal tins in a drawer-it works well for bulk spices but then I still have a bunch of jars with spice blends, etc. Trying to decide what to do as we remodel-separate our baking spices and other cooking items? Drawer next to stove and narrow cupboard by vent?
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Originally planned to store spices in a rack mounted on the inside of an upper cabinet door. That is, until we saw how bulky the rack was, and also realized that the shelves would then be cut back to accommodate the rack.

    We ended up having our KD order an in-drawer insert (rev-a-shelf?) for spice storage, and his installer added an additional step or riser to it. Love it. No more falling spice bottles. :)


  • 7 years ago

    My dad had our GC build one between the studs in our kitchen. It was stained to match the trim, and holds a ton of spices/extracts, and is right next to the stove and baking area.

  • 7 years ago

    We keep our smaller spice bottles in a drawer where I used spring loaded dividers and also have an upper cabinet next to range for taller spice containers.

  • 7 years ago

    Most people store spices in the worst possible spot for the spices. Close to the heat and steam of cooking is the worst place. Bulk spices should be stored in your freezer and decanted to smaller 1 week’s use amounts.


    Immediate use (with expiration dates of 1 month) are best stored in your prep zone, further away from the cooking zone. Food that goes to the cooking zone should already be seasoned. The cooking zone should have a bit of salt and pepper, and that’s it.

  • 7 years ago

    We store all our spices in an upper cabinet. It was difficult to find and / or use anything that wasn't right up front.


    Bought some pull-out racks from Vertical Spice and have been very pleased with the improvement in organization and accessibility.



  • 7 years ago

    I use a lazy susan from Rubber Maid purchased back in the Pleistocene era that I keep in a cabinet away from the stove. Certain things are kept in the refrigerator.

    Everything is dated when purchased, and every 2 years I go through it all and through out what is old, unless I taste it and it tastes good.

    I do love to save those little bottles. They are great for making your own spice blends, sorting buttons of different colors, screws of different sizes, making your own spice blends.

    My mother used to keep her spare buttons in beautiful cake tins.

    Remember when people gave you gifts of cake in beautiful colored aluminum cake tins or beautiful boxes that looked like hat boxes?

    Well, they were our repository for buttons. It made it a treat to hunt down that special button for mom.

    Too bad those days are gone!

    The tiny jars from jam samples are good for storing those tiny quantities of saffron that might come in a cellophane packet.

    Or craft supplies.

    Who said recycling is a new thing?


  • 7 years ago

    I had one built into a wall in my last house. I really miss it.



  • 5 years ago

    I love my new spice rack. Easy to install, convenient to use and holds a lot. I still have to transfer some of my bulk spices into jars and add them to the shelf.



  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I use a lazy susan


    I have two small lazy susans /small triangle-shaped spice tins that stack up and fit on them -- LOVE this system. The company that made mine is out of business (wish I'd bought a few more tins), but Joseph Joseph makes something similar.



  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I prefer a drawer. I love the look of pullouts on either side of a range, but as a cook I found them impractical. Anything below the top shelf gets lost, then I'm down on my hands and knees hunting. Upper cabinets can work well for me, but only if I get those "stadium seating" organizers so that I can see all the spices at a glance. But the best way to see all at a glance is drawer organization. I'm not a decanter—I've learned to say no to any organizational tool that takes longer to maintain than is practical. In our latest kitchen we have a cooktop in a drawer base and I designed a hidden drawer for spices. This is my favorite so far.


  • PRO
    5 years ago

    We use a system from Youcopia that allows two units to sit side by side within a 30” wide upper. Each unit holds 30. You pull out a small drawer that then angles down for convenient access. Labels are included for common spices, along with some blank labels, so you can see what you are looking for without having to pull out the drawers.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting