0
lulusflowers

IKEA KITCHEN CABINETS

lulusflowers
April 14, 2019
Thinking about using IKEA cabinets for my kitchen remodel. Concerned they might look cheap and I don’t want that. Any opinions on IKEA cabinets?

Beth H. :

there are at least 1 million pictures/posts on here of people using Ikea.

Garner · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/query/Ikea-kitchen-cabinets/nqrweh

you can also go to Design Dilemma and search "Ikea kitchen cabinets" for specific issues.

I have used Ikea cabinets in my design biz for over 20 yrs. They look cheap if you buy the cheap ones like any other thing you buy. I have had Ikea in my last two homes and IMO did not look cheap.

The red kitchen is my last house and the gray is a clients . It is best to get a kitchen designer that has worker with Ikea cabinets to get the best results.

ikea kitchen cabinets

I have used Ikea cabinets for clients for almost 20 yrs and many of those kitchens are still in great shape, these have been installed in all price ranges of homes and some of my clients tell me that the kitchen is what sold the home. As with anything else they need to be installed perfectly so make sure your installer is picky or if you do it yourself take the time to be exact. This Ikea kitchen was in my home, it is now 15 yrs. old and the new owner still loves it, by the way to get this custom would have been about 50,000 we did the whole thing for less than 15,000 neither of these prices included appliances.

Need your honest advice on IKEA kitchen cabinet.

The issue you are going to have with long term reports is they VERY recently changed the kitchen system entirely and so the number of people with the current system for any significant length of time is quite small. (I imagine they did test installations before they released it to the public so some people have had them longer than they have been commercially available, but I don't know if any of them have done reviews.) That said, we recently bought a single base cabinet to use to fill in a space in our kitchen and we are super impressed with the build quality and performance so far. We will likely do Ikea when we redo the full kitchen, although we may get third party doors as only one of the Ikea options seems right for our house and I am not sure I love it. (This is a problem in part because the house is 1930s and Ikea as a rule has a more modern/Scandinavian design style so they just aren't targeting the aesthetic we want.)

opinions on IKEA kitchen cabinets

Why not search the forum for IKEA kitchens. There are scores of comments posted. You'll find many architects and designers have them in their own homes.

How to paint IKEA kitchen cabinets from off-white to bright clean whit

Send the doors out and get them sprayed for a good final appearance.
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

IKEA makes fine cabinets, but with their terrific metal coved drawer boxes and excellent hardware, they draw lots of hate from mom 'n pop cabinet retailers that can't compete on price.

• Helen

IKEA cabinets don't look cheap.

However, much of the cost savings is because they aren't assembled. If you are having all the work done by hired help, the savings might be gone - depending on your labor costs in your area.

Also, depending on your kitchen, there is less flexibility than one might get in a semi-custom line. If you have a large kitchen, that's less important than if you have a small or otherwise odd kitchen which might benefit from non-standard cabinetry.

• Donald
    If you think they might look cheap, then don’t use them.
  • pippabean.

Cost savings due to diy assembly depend on what other cabinetry line one compares Ikea to.

We had a diy Ikea kitchen in the 80s which we absolutely loved. With its white fronts and modern, clean lines, it didn't have that now so dreaded "80s look" and years later it sold the house.

A year ago we installed another Ikea kitchen in our 60s custom house that's assessed in the high 6 figures. The Ikea kitchen does not look cheap, or out of place at all.

We had considered a German Leicht kitchen, as very conveniently, a showroom is located 5 min from our house. Their quote came in at around 70 or 80k for their high gloss cabinets with glossy white fronts. While I love Leicht kitchens (our lake house came with one) we think they, along with all other European kitchens are way over prized due to the logistics of shipping from Europe.

So we went with Ikea, diy'ed the install and paid all in all around 8 to 10k for the cabinetry with white glossy Ringhult fronts, all drawers in the base cabs, plus interior pullouts where practical and loads of interior organizers. Ha, we paid quite a bit more for the appliances.

A year later: No regrets whatsoever.

That said, if we hadn't wanted a high gloss white kitchen, we probably wouldn't have chosen an Ikea kitchen. Plenty of cabinet lines out there with more of the choices that go with a more traditional or transitional style kitchen.

Also, a kitchen looks only as good as the planning that went into it. Personally I like and enjoyed the whole planning process and both DH and I knew exactly what we did and didn'twant in the new space, in regards to function, as well as to the aesthetics. Therefore, I wanted to be in control, vs handing over the space to a KD. I planned that kitchen for over a year. Trying every reasonably conceivable layout, eventually settling on the one plan that best combined function and form to suit our needs. Then I tweaked and tweaked the details, until, try as I might, I couldn't find anything that could be improved by tweaking. Glad I did, as the devil really does live in the details.

As mentioned above, Ikea cabinets come in limited sizes, which can be challenging when trying to fit them into small spaces. That said, some out of the box thinking can overcome a lot of perceived problems. While ours is by no means a small kitchen, challenges still arose. For example, I wanted my cooktop centered between two windows. No combination of Ikea cabinets allowed this without added fillers. I really, really don't like fillers other than at the end of a cabinet run where the last cab sits next to a wall. What to do? Well, to get things exactly centered, I decided to widen the existing exterior walls by a adding 2x2 lumber and replacing the existing 4" inferior insulation with 6" state of the art insulation. That did the job and is a definite plus for our climate here in the Chicago area. To clarify, adding the 2x2s barely added any cost to our project, as our town demands new insulation be added in any room where construction work is done anyway. Would a KD have thought of this though? Maybe? But somehow, I don't think so. Would I have, if I hadn't been that deeply involved and didn't plan every detail? I doubt that too.

So, if you choose Ikea, make sure to either hire a really good KD that listens to how you use your house and kitchen. And if you decide to plan yourself, only do it if you don't mind educating yourself on good kitchen design, really enjoy the whole planning process and have a good eye for architecture and interior design.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Edited to add photo.

lulusflowers thanked pippabean.
  • Jennifer Svensson

Love, love, love my IKEA kitchens. Plan well and it’ll look a million bucks!!

lulusflowers thanked Jennifer Svensson
  • sushipup1

Links to company blogs are considered spam.

• lynartist
    This is a smaller IKEA kitchen I had installed in a beach condo a couple years ago. Do find an installer who is familiar with IKEA cabinets. Good planning and a great install are your best money spent.
    lulusflowers thanked lynartist
  • jdesign_gw

Another Ikea thread (must be a popular subject). Obviously

"Main line design" above has never really looked at an Ikea cabinet because they are not "terrible 5/8" construction" they are actually 13/16" a bit thicker than even 3/4" standard. Maybe he is confused with the "Costco" brand. As far as looking cheap well some or their door styles can fall under that category but others are ok. With custom doors they can look anything you want. Not just because I make custom doors for the cabinets but the fact that you can buy all the components without the doors means you can have any look you want. Here's one example of a customized Ikea kitchen we did. Doesn't look that cheap. Super matte doors and acid etched back painted glass uppers. Don't think you'll find this at Costco. And no it wasn't super expensive.

lulusflowers thanked jdesign_gw
  • pippabean.

Deleted my comment re: the spammer post. As the post has already been flagged and removed.

lulusflowers thanked pippabean.
  • lulusflowers thanked mabeldingeldine
    Main Line Kitchen Design

IKEA changed their construction a couple of years ago. I was just in an IKEA examining the poor construction as I wound my way through the IKEA maze on my way to some delicious meat balls, I don't trash IKEA or praise Costco because I have an agenda other than to help people make informed decisions. There are now many RTA cabinets sold that are much better constructed and less expensive than IKEA. We do not sell any of these lines nor do we sell Wolf, J&K, and some other assembled brands that are also better constructed than IKEA and no more expensive plus already assembled.

.

I like IKEA in general and still find great values there for many items. It is just that since the wave of imported cabinetry and with IKEA changing their construction, IKEA is no longer a bargain and now even less well made than they were in the past. They do look attractive especially for contemporary styles but people are deluding themselves due to the IKEA EFFECT if they believe they are durable. Houzz and HGTV both benefit from people being less informed and believing overly optimistic DIY scenarios. Unfortunately we now live in a world of "alternative facts".

Joseph Corlett, LLC

"Links to company blogs are considered spam."

It's more complicated than that. If a link to a company blog answers a specific question posed by someone else it's not.

Anyone who thinks they're going to get business from posting on Houzz is seriously mistaken. I've gotten a couple $300.00 paying jobs and a Starbucks gift card for four years participation.

I will beg to differ I have clients with 5 kids and an Ikea kitchen I installed22 yrs. ago and it still looks awesome and not one warranty issue in all that time. I also still think they are a bargain and putting them together is actually kind of fun once you get the knack

• jdesign_gw

Yes, Main Line Design. " Alternative facts" like Ikea boxes are constructed of "terrible 5/8" construction" as you stated previously. Fact: 13/16" (actual thickness of new Ikea cabinet) and 5/8" are different measurements. One is greater. "Ikea cabinets are not durable" maybe you could explain which part of the cabinet you have seen continuously fail over time. Would that be the Blum drawer system? "There are better RTA cabinets, better made for same price" Without a name that's just an "Alternative fact". Not shilling for Ikea just trying to get the facts straight.

• pippabean.

Joseph Corlett - shushipup's comment re blogs being spam was a response to a post by Mainline which was flagged and has disappeared. For good reasons I think.

And I don't think anyone would flag any of your always helpful posts and links. Your insight is being missed here.

Mainline on the other hand, has been posting "alternative facts" for a long time here. Long epistles about all frameless cabinetry being terribly inferior construction and how they fall apart in no time.

Never mind that European cabinet brands are all frameless and people pointing out that Europe doesn't seem to suffer from an epidemic of failing kitchen cabinetry. He would come back and double down. Sophie Wheeler used to take him to task in her usual style and using FACTS. Alas, it seems to no avail. Now he's zeroing on Ikea's newest line. Ikea must be a big threat to some in the biz.

.

.

• sushipup1

Joe, " If a link to a company blog answers a specific question posed by someone else it's not (spam). "

Yes it is. It's just driving traffic to their website. Most good pros can answer a question without having to post their website. They can cut and paste relevant info to answer a question, if they need to. Same goes to YouTube videos, as well, since they have become monetized and pay for clicks to the content.

It's a sad world we live in.

• sushipup1

Twist? He's a contractor and has to follow the Ikea instructions? What support does he expect? Heck, once you assemble your first one, it's not hard at all. Sounds like your husband has zero experience with Ikea.

Main Line Kitchen Design

No comment of mine was marked spam nor has any comment "disappeared"

Directing people to articles that address an issue in great detail is not nor will it ever be spam just because the article happens to be on a pros web site. Remaining uninformed and not clicking the link is always an option.

Getting free help from generous professionals on Houzz is a benefit for the people looking for knowledgeable help. .Being picky about how pro's help you and being rude to pros trying to help is why the Houzz Design Dilemma forum gets fewer comments from truly qualified professionals now than it did in the past.

.

On the pro section of Houzz many of the most qualified professionals have expressed frustration with how their free advice is treated and have bowed out of participating.

• bbtrix

Lulusflowers, I have built 3 Ikea Akurum and 1 Sektion kitchen. I'm getting ready to put together another set of Sektion kitchen cabinets for a laundry/mudroom. They look great and have endured years of abuse while still looking new and have no damage. Two of my kitchens live in my rentals and take tons of poor care. Their construction did not have a change that has resulted in poor construction. They made a few very small changes as jdesign stated that have done nothing but improve the design. My husband is contractor and carpenter and cannot deny the cleverness of this system. Everyone that sees my kitchens absolutely cannot believe they are Ikea, inlcuding my good friend that's a realtor.

Do a search in Gardenweb on ikea. You will learn a lot and also see the same comments by so called Pro's that have never installed nor lived with an Ikea kitchen yet have big opinions of them. As others have stated, Ikea does their livelihood no good. You will also find Pro's that design and install Ikea and have good opinions of them, and 100's of very satisfied customers like me.

lulusflowers thanked bbtrix