Software
Houzz Logo Print
pugmomma3

Make my closet gorgeous!!!

7 years ago
Have done some sprucing up of my closet but need more ideas, please!!! Want to make it more luxurious. I’m a mom of 3 young kids so many of my gilded clothes are nice work out clothes that I wear every day. I am trying to move away from using dressers in my bedroom and move all into my closet. Thanks!

Comments (20)

  • 7 years ago

    I recently did a redo of my closet unfortunately don't have a photo to share right now. I don't have a dresser in my closet either and I love it! Ditch the plastic hangers, Invest in some nice wood hangers. I found a good price on amazon. I also think there is just to much white, add some wicker baskets or cloth boxes, and if you have any white plastic handles on drawer replace them with something better. the shelf under the mirror is the perfect place for a jewlry set up. stop at Home goods or TJ maxx and pick up some display pieces.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    A few good tips:

    -Use matching hangers for the whole closet. Wood ones are nice, but they can be too bulky sometimes. The thinner black felt ones are nice if you don't have as much space.

    -Use matching baskets. Anything that's smaller or you want hidden, put in a basket.

    -Color coordinate the clothing

  • 7 years ago

    What's in your dressers that you need to store in your closet? Have you looked at Marie Kondo's clothes folding techniques? They optimize space. What says "luxurious" to you? If you know that, you're that much closer to your goal. :) (Your plastic hangers are fine. You just switched to these, right?)

  • 7 years ago

    A couple more ideas as I look at your pics again: the hanging shoe storage bag would not feel luxurious to me. I'd want pretty shoe bins for the shelves, I think. And pants hangers with clips. While I was at it, I might prefer see through sweater boxes as well. What about painting the walls a light pink or raspberry? Would you appreciate a full length mirror on the wall? Buy an inexpensive mirror and spray paint the frame gold. Love Karen Rose's idea of an ottoman. Also, the chandelier. What's your lighting situation in there? Flattering? Glam? And whatever random stuff you're storing on your shelves can go in pretty boxes. Just label them clearly so you don't forget what's in them. The Container Store is full of options to part you with your money! Just make sure you measure everything before you go. ;-)


    23 gorgeous pink colours

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    You've already got so many good ideas, and your closet looks great as is!

    To add, I would rethink that corner you have there. How do you access things that are in that dead corner? Also, I recommend these two things from The Container Store:

    1. Drop-front boxes. They come in the variety of colors and sizes. They are very convenient and yet, add that organized, uniform look to your shelves. You can see what's inside easily - awesome!



    2. FlipFOLD laundry folder. I don't know how I lived without one! I use it for practically everything, towels, t-shirts, you name it! Again, adds this nice, finished look. Goodbye, sloppy piles!



  • 7 years ago

    Karen Rose, that's one gorgeous closet!

  • 7 years ago

    Those are the garment boxes I linked to, Hamma. Gorgeous! I used to have a FlipFOLD laundry folder (thanks to Sheldon on TBBT) but it broke and I finally got tired of seeing the duct tape holding it together. Bid it adieu and adopted Marie Kondo's folding methods. Btw, for drawer organization, I'm loving Ikea's Skubb boxes.

  • 7 years ago

    tartanmeup, I think our wires crossed, lol :). I was writing my post whilst you were writing yours! DH used to watch TBBT, and this is exactly where I got the idea re: FlipFOLD :).

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I also think there is just to much white, add some wicker baskets or cloth boxes

    Wicker baskets also add some organic texture, which will be a nice contrast to the white.

    Your plastic hangers are fine. You just switched to these, right?

    I went with plastic too. I wanted to like the wooden hangers, but they're just so bulky, and I think MATCHING matters more than MATERIAL. Also, I like to hang my blouses on hangers to dry -- and, obviously, I want to transfer them straight to the closet. Plastic just makes sense.

    the hanging shoe storage bag would not feel luxurious to me.

    Agree.

    I'd want pretty shoe bins for the shelves, I think. And pants hangers with clips. While I was at it, I might prefer see through sweater boxes as well.

    Disagree. Shoe and sweater boxes make it more difficult to put things away, and the more trouble you have to go through to put things away, the less likely you'll keep it neat. I dislike pants hangers because they can leave an "indent" on rarely worn things.

    What about painting the walls a light pink or raspberry?

    Since the walls are covered with clothing, I'd paint the ceiling -- you know, the fifth wall -- instead.

    Would you appreciate a full length mirror on the wall?

    A mirror is just common sense.

    Also, the chandelier.

    Yes to something fancy.

    FlipFOLD laundry folder.

    Eh, what's the point? Everything I fold is exactly the same size /stacks perfectly ... where I mess up is when I pull things from the middle of the stack; to say it differently, I don't need help with folding .... I fall down on maintenance. I'd rather have nice dividers to keep stacks neat. Personally, I like wooden corbels:

  • 7 years ago
    Karen i love your closet! Where did you get that stool? Also where did you get the fabric colored boxes?
  • 7 years ago
    Just got the Joy hangers and LOVE! Also i just can’t color coordinate. I dont have that much color variety with my clothes. I live in New York and wear a lot of black LOL. I also found that when i tried tk coordinate by color it didn’t make sense for me bc evening clothes for date nights were paired with work out tops etc. i mostly wear work out clothes during the day i have young kids and so those are the clothes i make the most use out of and want readily available. And Jared i love your shoes but i dont have a ton I’m not a shoe person and we don’t wear shoes in the home so we keep them by our mud room areas.
  • 7 years ago
    Yes I have the Joy hangers too! Love them. Thank you all. I love love love it, my girlfriend came over and we drank champagne in it Real Housewives style. Haha haha. So fun. Boxes are from Amazon, 2 for $22 and they have other colors if that floats your boat. https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-File-Organizer-Box-Set/dp/B07N5XJHCH/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3HTU4M6XAT3M8&keywords=file+boxes+fabric&qid=1555632791&s=gateway&sprefix=File+boxes+fab,aps,153&sr=8-9 Ottomans are from All Modern/Wayfair https://www.allmodern.com/furniture/pdp/mercer41-hedrick-velvet-ottoman-ispi1369.html
  • 7 years ago
    I like a multi-color runner rug as wide as you can fit on the floor. Pretty baskets. Shoes on shelves. Art...yes, art in the closet if you have a bit of wall to hang it on. A pretty light fixture with good bulbs that don’t distort colors.
  • 7 years ago
    following
  • 7 years ago

    Great idea with painting the ceiling, Mrs Pete. I think you suggested that the first time around as well, didn't you? I also agree wth you about making everything as easy as possible to put away and dividers might indeed be much easier than garment boxes for that.

  • 7 years ago
    I’m thinking of doing a pretty floral wall decal or wallpaper for the ceiling? My bedroom is green and bathroom is yellow. Any ideas for prints? There is recessed lighting in there so prob won’t do a chandelier but a cute idea. Yes i need some sort of full length mirror but not sure where to put it? I have a wedding photo on one wall. Need more pics and ideas for baskets for my hair dryer makeup etc which i keep in my closet which is right next to my master bathroom.
  • 7 years ago
    Adjoining bathroom
  • 7 years ago

    I was thinking the full length mirror would replace the small gold one you currently have. Yes to a pretty floral wallpaper on the ceiling. What fun! Do what makes YOU smile and feel pampered. Use leftover wallpaper to cover inexpensive shoe boxes for your hair dryer, etc. Gift wrap paper can work as well. Heck, someone posted about decoupage on another thread and she used paper serviettes and PVA glue. So much can be transformed with a bit of imagination and elbow grease. :)

  • 7 years ago
    Made more progress! Thank you all! Going to add a vase and flowers near the vanity. Added baskets. Do you all like them? Will also prob add a full length mirror! Thanks for all the help!