Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
g123123

Help Boost Curb Appeal

g123123
4 years ago
Hello, we have lived in our home for a few years now and I really think it is time for the exterior to be updated! I would love to change the colour, I really can’t stand the green...

We plan to remove the shutters however we would love to hear some other ideas for how we can make this house look better.

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Removal of all the overgrown shrubbery on the left end would be a start. A solid front door; you can see who's there through the sidelights. Larger, lower lantern light by the door, or maybe take the entry up into the area where the plate glass window is. I think it might be interesting to change that siding for a different style.

Dramatic entry and interesting siding.

Mid-Century I Kenmore, Washington · More Info

• houssaon
    4 years ago

This color blue would look good on your house.

Marvin Ultimate Windows & Artisan James Hardie Siding Glencoe, IL · More Info

Can your window trim be painted? If you can paint the window trim, then how about painting you house white with black (or super dark green) windows?

Front Exterior · More Info

• Jonny Quest
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

If you are amenable consider three paint colors. One for body of home, one for window trim, and another for door and shutters. You're right about current color it is very flat and adds no dimension. I probably wouldn't recommend removing the shutters. Windows without shutters sometimes look a bit too stark.

Like another poster mentioned I'd lose the overgrown shrub or at least do a hard prune depending on the type of shrub. Also a small tree with multi seasonal interest would be good. If you're not one for gardening consider revving up things with hardscaping. Whatever you do consider using plants with textural interest and with different mature heights.

You have a great entry and color would be wonderful as well as a more substantial light fixture.

Ultimately this may mean you have to pick a style you'd like for your home.

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

I would paint the green areas a much lighter version of the body color. It would help if you knew which color they used.

Remove the shrubs on the left side.

I'd paint the door a different color. Maybe dark blue.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

some modern updates would look great. think about adding some wood or stone work, update the colors to something more dramatic. Remove the shutters.

these are all updated split-levels. maybe they'll give you some ideas

this one is my fave:

• g123123
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    I was able to find the colours they used on the house:

Exterior Wood and Shutters - Sico: Mermaids Eyes (6200-63)

House Exterior and Stucco - Sico: Portobello (6185-41)
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

• User
    4 years ago
    Change your landscaping. A beautiful lighted pond on the right side and beautiful smaller plants on the left side
  • Marci
    4 years ago

Holy moly those are awesome inspiration pictures, Beth H.

After seeing those, I think the question is how big do you want to dream?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I like that last one, celerygirl. Can you play around and do something w/ wood ?

• leslieap10
    4 years ago

The roof is light gray, right? If that's staying or to be repeated, and you already have new/newer windows with white vinyl, I'm thinking a navy could look really nice on the body of the house, with white trim. A red, or a tangerine-colored door might be nice. Or a beige-gray even.

• g123123
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Wow! Thank you everyone!

The roof is on the newer side and it is gray so it will be staying. The windows were replaced recently also so they will be staying.
  • Jonny Quest
    4 years ago

Some practical issues to think about with your updates...

Make good choices with your landscaping. I like celerygirl' mockup very much but that pyramidal evergreen could be a bad idea. Even if dwarf evergreen it has the potential to have a mature height that means it's placement that close to the foundation is not good. I know this because I bought a home that was just fine when I purchased it but a monster river birch planted too close to foundation caused some damage that was repaired but I could have used the time, $$, & distress over losing such a beautiful tree on other areas of my landscape.

Also for the garden beds be realistic about what you want to take care of on your own or if you can find a great crew to take care of it for you. Choose your plants wisely to match your lifestyle. A well tended garden takes time and effort but can be managed by choosing the right type of plants Or incorporating hardscaping.

Also understand how you may be able to get supplemental water to your new beds before they are installed. Initially they will need water to get them established but less so once that occurs.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I love some of these suggestions.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

Yes, I can play with wood.

• PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

oh I love that celery. the darker one looks so cool.