0
shwshw

Hallway Help !!

shwshw
April 22, 2019

I have done nothing to my hall for 25 years, except put new knobs on the hall cupboards and prep it for paint.

I have 2 wool oriental rugs and two small light fixtures that are 25 years old

I started a redesign around the idea of using the original rugs for 2 reasons;

1. they are wool and I thought replacing would be too expensive,

2. I wanted to use the same BM Muslin paint I had leftover from the living room. and the rugs would look fine with that color

Issue 1, is that although my rugs may still have a lot of life in them, I just don’t love them,

especially the color.

Issue 2, When I took out the BM Muslin paint, there was not very much left and it has

hardened.

Issue 3, our ceilings are only 8’.

I realized that if I was not forced to use existing paint just to “use it up” that I was free to a find a new paint color and new rugs.

I just started painting the woodwork; Behr Ultra Pure White High Gloss. I know some of the designers hate high gloss, but just I love it.

I am currently looking at 2 matching rugs that I may purchase. They are both wool and in colors that I love.

If I buy those rugs, I will pick a neutral paint color that compliments them

I just ordered new bulbs so my existing ceiling light will be brighter, but it would be fun to replace one or both of them. In my floor plan the lights are centered between D&C and between A,F,E.

Most important, I am on a tight budget.

I would love help with rugs, paint and lighting.

• shwshw

julie, glad you are up and about. ortho surgical pain is beyond challenging...

• lynartist

I don’t think it has to be an arial pick. If your neighbor has an old pick or several of the farm from way back, printed in sepia tone that would be very lovely.

• shwshw

here's one i was playing around with. i can photoshop any changes i want to make already started with stuff at bottom.

• wmsimons85

Yes Julie glad you are up and about. Sorry to hear you had complications. Hope you are pain free and heal as soon as possible,

• wmsimons85

• lynartist

I know this isn’t your neighborhood but just an idea.

• lynartist

Hope this coming week will be easier for you Julie.

• Nora

Shwshw, like the last chicken print you posted in IB. Colors are great.
    Houzz is going nuts. I have had six notifications in the past 10 min that rred commented on my discussion. No she did not. What is going on? Weird!

• Molly

Posting to see pictures

Flo Mangan

Postings are all messed up and has been for last couple days at least.

• Lisa SW

Nora, I’m suddenly having same issue on phone but not iPad. Yes, I know Seajay commented....yesterday.

• shwshw

nora, lyn found that one i'm kinda in love with it. this is such a fun adventure

Home Interiors with Ease

Shwshw..did you look at HeatherSimsart..on Etsy?

• Nora

The colors are so great.
    I know Lisa, beginning to get annoying. I’m on IPad also.

• Lisa SW

This has been so much fun to watch all the creativity. I can’t wait to see the final choice. It will be something unique and perfect for shwshw’s home and probably for no other.

Home Interiors with Ease

Thank you everyone for your well wishes..was in an ambulance yesterday morning..horrible day to say the least..concerns of a lung embolism..had severe chest pain........but all is fine and resting..my dear 87 year old mother flew in to take care of me...crazy never thought that would happen...has been the other way around for a while!:)

shwshw..sounds like you are healing well..just dont push it!

Flo Mangan

OMG Julie. That sounds really scary and awful. Hope you are better now. Sure has been terrible time for you. Praying things improve dramatically soon for you. Did they figure out what was going on? Man. You need to take care now.

• lynartist

Omg Julie! That’s awful!!! Sure hope your recovery goes better from now on!

• Molly

Yikes Julie that is so scary! Glad your mom is there to help and keep you company. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

• shwshw

Julie. Yikes! How awful. Sending prayers

• niccidhg

So glad you are alright, Julie, after that frightening experience. Take care and rest, rest, rest . Hope you will soon feel better, be pain free and well on your way to restored health. There is nothing like a mother’s presence to bring comfort in times of hardship. Bless your mom’s heart ! Take care now, Julie .

• wmsimons85

Wow Julie how scary for you! Thank goodness they were able to treat it. Do you think it was a result of your surgery? As said, hope it is smooth sailing from now on.

• mary44

OMG Julie.... How scary that must have been..I hope you are feeling better today.. I know mom will take good care of you...they always do :) Take care and get well soon :)

• shwshw

new ideas

Flo Mangan

I like the chicken with aerial in background on top of the Trumeaux with the "name". That just is so welcoming and interesting and such a conversation starter. I like the two sketch type pieces like in the second rendering. That leaves the bigger aerial.

• shwshw

thx, will continue moving things around. i like the bright chicken, but i don't feel like i can hang it with any of my existing art. back to barn wood

• shwshw

flo, how about this?

like the mirror i can make old aerial any size, with or without map

Flo Mangan

Yes, you can make things just like you want them. Yay! I like the big one with the two sketches, I would just center the smaller one to the horse, I think.

• Molly

Another Houzzer fell today and may have a broken arm. What is going on??!!

Flo Mangan

Oh no. Who broke their arm?

• Molly

Parker Murphy over in I need Help Finishing My Kitchen. Right now they think it's a bad sprain.

• shwshw

yikes molly it's almost an epidemic

Flo Mangan

That is no fun. I have to go over there. My hubby had a bad sprain of his ankle and it took about 4 weeks before he was moving more normally. He started back on his running schedule a little over a week ago. I will see if I can find her thread.

• shwshw

flo, sounds like your husband fell right around when we both did. oh my...

Flo Mangan

He fell before your injury. He has taken some rough falls over the years. Been running for about 35 years!! Started running to support our daughter who had decided she wanted to do track and field. They ran together for 3 weeks and she quit and DH has been running ever since. We call him our Forest Gump, except he is brilliant. Guess Forest was too in his own way! How is your wrist doing? You may not like cold weather with all the metal you have in your wrist now!

• shwshw

so cute how your husband started running. wrist is pretty good. close to full range of motion, but sore & swollen. next week I can start strengthening and i will be able to use it to drive. the surgeon was brilliant. the end of the bone at the wrist kind of exploded into 4 hunks. except for the hardware, lol, it is back to it's normal shape. i am very grateful it wasn't worse.

Flo Mangan

Wow! That is really amazing. Glad you had a great surgeon. Yeah, swelling goes on for a while, but that Arnica can help that too. Might want to try it if you haven't already. Arnica gel is what we use and it is amazing stuff.

shwshw thanked Flo Mangan
  • shwshw

here is an existing frame/mat that we can put the old aerial photo in, along with existing it's a nice frame, curly maple

• shwshw

seems like i have made all my decisions. new rugs, paint color, new lights, artwork on walls. now i need to paint, have lights installed, print old photo and put into existing frame, buy 2 barn wood frames, buy mirror, print chicken on map, frame both, then hang both. my wrist is getting close to painting... couldn't i just blink my eyes and have it all happen, lol

• Seajaygerns

So happy you’re almost back to normal. I’m staying off ladders. I like your vignette with the three pictures and I think the name of your house is precious, so I would do the picture you put together with the name on top.

• shwshw

having this time to think, post on houzz, and research has turned out in my favor.

• tartanmeup

couldn't i just blink my eyes and have it all happen, lol

I was just thinking this yesterday! Funny how even the smallest spaces can have so many decisions tied to them. We think it's simple and we're up to the task but it feels as if it takes foooorever... ! Glad this time to think was favourable, shwshw, and hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.

shwshw thanked tartanmeup
  • CindyR

Good morning;

We have a hallway that makes a 90 degree turn, and exits to the laundry room and garage. We also have a dog. We are redoing our flooring, and I came up with a solution to my hallway that seems simple and will help my hallway from being chopped up with the multiple rugs that I currently have. I like my current rugs and my husband bought them in Iraq during his last deployment, so they have some sentimental value (but they are also a negative reminder to me of all of the injuries he sustained and still plague him).

I’m rambling...but here is the solution I hope to use...quality carpet squares! I am not a designer and maybe these seem tacky to some, but I want a solid(ish) hallway runner with pattered rugs in the offshoot rooms. I haven’t decided on color and style (there are many to choose from)!

Good luck with your decision and have a great day!

• Seajaygerns

Cindy. Thank your husband for his service and hope he can overcome his injuries. BTW I believe Flo put the Flor carpet tiles in her DH’s office and said they were great. I think they will look great and work well in your hallway for a cohesive look. And the dog won’t be sliding around corners. ;-).

• CindyR

I hope it doesn’t seem like I am hijacking this post - just showing you that we have hallway corners like you, and my “old” rugs are not going to work with the new flooring we are laying down, so when I saw your floor plan I wanted to share my solution.

Best wishes to you!

• lynartist

Best to you and your hubby Cindy! We appreciate his service and wish him well! I love carpet squares! I have them in my beach house and they are so practical! When one gets dirty( as they do in there!) I just pick it up and hose it off outside and let it dry! Funny thing is , we lost our floor in our apartment twice; once in a hurricane, once from a leak! I finally said forget another floor and went to HD and bought floor tiles! These are the commercial type with a heavy rubber backing and come in random patterns in the box! Cheaper that way and in stock! Great! Well I am a bit avant-garde anyway;)!

• CindyR

I like your carpet squares and the “unexpected”!

• shwshw

Hi Cindy. I thought about using Flor tiles. I think they are great. There are several Houzz dilemmas where people used the. So fun. I found some wool rugs I quite like but may use flor tiles in winter to cover the gap from front door to rug. Pls tell your husband I am grateful for his service. Thanks for joining in