Software
Houzz Logo Print
billsull24

kitchen cabinets

7 years ago
Would like opinions on these cabinets for a town home . They are by Mid Atlantic cabinetry . The color is called York coffee. My floors are a lighter wood with some darker lines . Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (11)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Not something I would select. If your townhouse is not your forever house, think about resale.
    There are plenty of homes around me which are being replaced with white cabinets.




  • 7 years ago

    I agree with Beverly. If this is for you and you really love it then go for it. But if it's a rental or you will be selling in the near future, I'd opt for something lighter.

  • 7 years ago

    I did a similar stain color last year, but I have a Spanish style house, so it fits the house and now matches the stained beams. I am also in southern CA, the house has lots of windows and we get lots of bright sunlight year round.

    The main thing is to go light with your counters and backsplash. I used Taj Mahal quartzite and an interesting tile from Encore in a similar cream/almond tone to that in the counters.

  • 7 years ago

    I think it is a really great color! I love the dark cabinet/light floor combination. (not a fan of a white kitchen) We are doing something similar in our rental right now.

  • 7 years ago

    I love the color.

    However, there are two things to think about.

    One is, will this be your forever home?

    If not, you do need to think about resale, and these days, a lot of people do prefer a lighter look, and that might be in for a very long time.

    Secondly, townhouses tend to have smaller kitchens and a lot of darker cabinetry in a small space can be a bit much.

  • 7 years ago

    I think that cabinet is too dark. The kitchen would need a lot of windows to help with the light. Even if you have a lot of windows, you still have nighttime to contend with. Also think about what backsplash and counters will go with that color—that will be a challenge.

  • 7 years ago

    more detail than you need. Streamline your cabinet choice..[slab door or simple shaker] and showcase something like counter/backsplash/ high end appliances. So an alternative, which would be similar but less details: café or java stained oak shaker...slab light honey maple or birch or veneer . Saying all that..if you are going for more of a masculine [bachelor?] look with wine cooler/dark cabinets/chunky hardware/dark patterned granite counters/stainless appliances.....then your choice falls into that stylistic theme. Just depends on the setting and plans for use. Small compact darker toned kitchens can be great [many done in cherry].....you must plan and get it all working together, and excellent lighting too.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    That door is too "fussy" for me. By that I mean that all those little groves will make it hard to keep clean. It would take a toothbrush to get the dust/dirt out. If you're wedded to this color, at least get a plain Shaker and be sure to add a few glass doors so it won't be such a dark mass.


    As others have said, if this is not a house in which you intend to stay for many years, I'd choose white instead. It's still VERY popular with the house-buying public as it always looks fresh, light and clean.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Yes, white shaker cabinets.Quartz tops with gray streaks and gray walls.You just hired 95% of all interior designers currently.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I agree with Anglophilia about the molding being too-too.

    I also think that without that inner molding the doors become more contemporary, too.

    If your cabinets are not the neatest, the glass fronts can be frosted or reeded to give a bit more privacy.