collectorguru

Yikes, Let's Re-Decorate the Dining Room

Design2 girl
April 27, 2019

This is the new (old) dining room that needs a face lift! The floors are going to be refinished and our inclination is to stain the inlaid wood the same as the rest of the flooring, so effectively, removing this darker banding (which dates it, IMO) but the inlaid wood pieces will remain in this existing pattern, floors will be a medium brown, not as dark as the banding appears but maybe with a bit more depth than the overall color here. The walls, ceiling, trim and the columns will all be painted white, (color to be matched to the shutters that will remain. Give us some good ideas to jazz up this space, wallpaper suggestions welcome, paint selections needed, chandelier may need to remain and lowered of course, but would love lighting suggestions as well. What would you do with the tray ceiling in here?

This is the china cabinet that will go on the long wall adjacent to the windows, so fairly traditional with antique chippendale chairs with black leather seats. Liking blues/greens but want something in here that has some WOW factor as it is first thing you see as you enter the front door. Thanks if you made it this far!

• shwshw

That's a beauty Nicci.

• Seajay Sparkles

Wow, I love that rug, Nicci. What a good shopper you are.

Flo, introducing light green is beautiful.

Need help with living room and connecting dining room decorating.

Well we had someone in july come to our door and ask us if we wanted to sell our house and we thought about it and said yes. We had the house on the market before but gave up and decided to redecorate and stay and then this happened. It is funny how things happen. So we moved to Florida and are now decorating again here. After all the help I got on the old house I was kinda embarrassed to ask for help on the house. I really do need help. The formal owner used very heavy draps which I don't seem to think goes with the Florida look. I still have my beautiful furniture but had to add another couch cause the room was bigger. I am really impressed with all the good help with Houzz. The house turned out beautiful and I was kinda sad I had to leave all our hard work, but we always wanted to live in Florida. Maybe if I get enough courage I will ask for help with the new house. By the way, it is beautiful and we are very happy though we just moved in.

Need help with decoration tips for our living room / dining room

Hi Karla, marie here. MIX your metals - chrome, cream, gold, silver - you've got gray on gray and the base of your space is stunning! Now you need to add warmth. Antique silver, with hits of gold in it will ensure success. Find a gorgeous flokati white area rug if you want to continue on with the tone on tone look, or add a splash of colour in your area rug, then finish it off with crystal candle holders and hot pink candles! (or whatever colour turns you on) This will set your room apart with the accessories, area rug, floor lamp, side tables by mixing up the metals and adding warmth in gold tones. Good luck!

Let the inner decorator in you finish my living room

The area rug's ok to me, it does seem to be similar colour to the broadloom (wall-to-wall) under it so doesn't clash. I would however pull it out from the wall so it fills the center of the room a bit more. Drapery panels would add colour and soften the rigid and square look of those windows (keep the blinds as well). Might have to ask the landlord if you can attach the required hardware to the wall (check your lease agreement). I would change those decorative pillows and look for some that have both the area rug and the couch's colours in them, to link them, right now they look like they clash, on the pic anyway. Similar concept for the drapery panels.

Decorating living room/dining room - blank slate

@carolins. I haven't even begun to consider curtains for the living/dining room. It took me months to decide on curtains for the basement, so I can't say I have the energy for that! :) I have a blinds guy stopping by in a few days, so I'll hear him out. I may just clean the ones I have really good and keep them for awhile. I definitely would like a rug in the living room area. I am thinking something plush and light in color. I haven't fully begun that search yet, but an open to ideas. @shirl. Yes, it's a picture. It's something cheap that I picked up at hobby lobby that I thought was kind of fun. I attached a better picture of it.
  • lynartist

Looking for a rug from a good local vender gives you the option of trying them out in your home and retuning them. When you are talking this large size that’s certainly a plus;)!

• Seajay Sparkles

I know this isn’t neutral but would not fight with prints. Lyn’s advice to shop local is great advice. . . especially when dealing with blues.

• homechef59

While we are waiting on the dimensions. I thought I would look for an inspiration picture or two. I'm going to suggest a rug that is Persianesque. If that's a word. I found these at Ballard's Designs. They certainly show a move away from grey to colors.

Design2 girl thanked homechef59
  • Design2 girl

I know it sounds so simple to get dimensions but with a busy toddler and breastfeeding infant, it’s harder than it sounds!

The room measures 19’5” x 17’0 and my husband is going to sketch it for us.
    For now, here is a mock up of the fireplace wall, this painting is going in the office so it is only for sizing purposes and these are the 19” lidded urns on the mantle and 24” urn sitting on the floor.

Flo Mangan

I will do a scale drawing too. Your daughter is amazing. Takes after her Mom I believe!

• niccidhg

D2g, the urns look amazing there. — I had saved this wallpaper to my ideabook and just ran across it . Thought your daughter might like it for future reference for somewhere (?) .

Design2 girl thanked niccidhg
  • Seajay Sparkles

Urns look great there.

Design2 girl thanked Seajay Sparkles
    Contempo Space

We agree with people stating that urns look great with the design!

Design2 girl thanked Contempo Space
    Flo Mangan

I like urns on the mantel but I am not sure about one on the hearth. Might be a risk with kids and doggie? Especially BIG doggie. Is he/she adjusting to the move. Sometimes these moves are harder on our fur babies than people! Once you post the sketch, I can proceed with scale drawing.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • J Williams

Your jars say double happiness.

• lynartist

The jars look very nice on the mantle. Great find.

Flo Mangan

OK, I just couldn't wait for the sketch from hubby! I guessed at the walls and windows and fireplace, so all needs to be verified. So I came up with this layout. I have changed the seating, to make it more family friendly since I believe this is the "family room/great room". I might be wrong. You can clarify.

layouts · More Info

I put two sofas in the space. Better for TV viewing and lounging with kids and fur babies! I put a oversized coffee table 48"x48" you could go a bit larger too, your Bergere chairs, an oversized floor lamp with oversized shade to make that corner sing! I put the apothecary chest on side wall with a couple chairs (maybe spares from dining room?) to give that wall more oomph. With this layout a 11' x 13' rug works well. Keeps walkways 3' and 1' away from hearth. Hope this gives you some ideas and once I get specific measurements, I can do better. Just having fun trying to help you and mainly your daughter! We all want to contribute and thank her hubby and family for "their" service!! Enjoy!

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

I realize my layout diverts from some of the original design plans, but I just kept thinking about so many chairs with a family. Or is this really a more "living room"?

Julianne Kelly · More Info

This photo shows an oversized floor lamp. Now not your colors or style, but something big in that corner could be a real showstopper. I do love this room. It is small but so well done. Great square coffee table too.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • Design2 girl

oh, houzzers, it has been a busy weekend! And homechef, I love the inspiration pics, of course, I am so partial to a blue sofa, it solves so many problems, but she is pretty set on a neutral ground for the sofa.

Now, I know the cream linen chair on the long wall is too too close to the bergere chair, but this is our current situation, and that sofa is a placeholder only. This was a local rug that is polypropylene and she liked the colors, and the softness. I think it is not quite large enough. This one measures 9x13, I would like to see it larger to be honest. And I am so dang old school, I would rather see a fabulous Tabriz there, but maybe not for this season of life. But, lets all breath and take note of that baby on the rug! lol! He is so precious and bless it, its hard to be a baby in a brand new house that is trying to get organized! haha. The english chest is really a lovely piece of furniture, but do we think it is too high to go between 2 matching chairs there?

And here is the very.awkward TV wall, which measures 19'5" but that includes the opening for the walkways on both ends of the room. These chairs belong in the breakfast room, the tv cable box and hook ups are all located on this wall, so if there is any way to come up with some arrangement that this tv can stay here, we need to try to do it. The chairs can go away. And the TV will be centered of course.

Here is the drawing that we have up close

and again, he tried to scale but it is a little short, whoops.

I like the idea of a modern big scale arching floor lamp.

Can anybody see a big dose of green in this room?

While we out browsing in a hurry the other day, we did find these prints that I really like, there are 4 of them, even though this pic only shows 3. What do we think of these? I like that the frames are pretty contemporary and the botanicals are lovely and well done. And I KNOW we aren't doing accessories yet, but these are on my back burner. Ha.

We found a stunning Mr & Mrs. Howard sofa the other day that I loved, but alas, it is only 76" long and she really needs a full length sofa in this room.

What about an oversized upholstered ottoman for a coffee table? Like she needs one the baby can cruise on and they probably will have a snack there now and then.

Open to all ideas. I do think 2 sofas might fill the bill here as well. Flo, could you see a sofa facing the TV and the fireplace and eliminating the english chest? hmmmmm, not less $$, but may be a good option.

• everdebz

Your houzzers are helping, but if you want, tell what items are not staying in the room?

Design2 girl thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

The round decorator's table - what about another red like this: only at the top? with neutral under...

Bandhini Drapery Curtain Panels, Brick Red · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/bandhini-drapery-curtain-panels-brick-red-prvw-vr~66991244

• everdebz

Wide one that they display with blue/neutral rug,,oh and green pillow... next to large floor lamp, instead of sofa there? Sofa faces tv.

W 42.5" / D 37.5" / H 41"

Beredei Chair With Pillows, Fabric, Antique Oak · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/product/114077795-beredei-chair-with-pillows-fabric-antique-oak

• homechef59

The rug style is exactly what I was thinking about for her. If possible, I would want it bigger, too. Look for the larger size and you have a winner.

I see two sofas or one large sectional. If possible, 84" for both. I would cover them in a herringbone tan/beige fabric with lots of stain resistant treatment. The bergere chairs are in the right place. They just need recovering once you decide on the sofas. They get the pops of color.

I love the idea of the upholstered oversized ottoman for a coffee table. It can be either round or square. I suggest leather for the ottoman because it's so durable and will handle spills better than fabric. I've been looking all over for a navy leather version and I'm yet to find it.

The framed pictures are lovely. They are transitional. I don't think she will get tired of them. I like the green and gold touches.

I see the TV staying on the wall in the current location. She needs a lower TV console for the TV sit it on and to have space for electronics. Weirdly enough, I found a good one at Amazon. I had it shipped to the house and put it together myself. I actually like it. The price was right.

I think the chests need to go elsewhere.

Floor lamps for the chairs.

I like the direction this is going in.

Flo Mangan

Haha. Love the wall hangings with green. I would love some green in the room. I can modify scale drawing now. I feel confident we can do two sofas and possibly put a sofa table behind the sofa facing TV in that wall with those fern pictures above and some type lamp. I am actually delighted the TV Is on that wall. I don’t like coming into a space and seeing the side of TV and wires etc. I was going to suggest that but hesitated until I understood that wall. I will be back.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

OK. Been playing with layouts of this room and have a couple proposals. Option 2 (hope you are sitting down) ;). But i think this layout is so nice for a family. I will explain. I moved TV to wall you don’t see when entering room and while there might be sone traffic through there, y’all have traffic paths on two sides for sure. With two matching sofas (limited to 84-86” long) you can do this fabulous leather and skirted ottoman 48x48. A couple trays on it for adult beverages would be great. I also turned the rug for better coverage with this arrangement. The main focal point remains the fireplace. I just plugged in blue velvet Bergere chairs but these chairs could be highlight. A couple of coordinating fabrics with possibly a blue piping would knock these chairs out of the park.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

Here is little mood board.

Flo Mangan

Here is ottoman. Not a bad price either for leather top with tufting and skirted. (Hide toys under in baskets!)

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

I can also get you 5% off with my Trade discount on Houzz products. I had a oversized ottoman made for a client and the price was double this one and it wasn’t that much larger. A couple inches.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

The Bergere chairs could get some green along with a few pillows on the sofas. Scads of great fabrics out there that would bring blues and greens. You already have several in Emily's ideabook. You get the idea! haha!

Photo from https://www.fschumacher.com/item/5001065 · More Info

Medallion Ikat Pillowcase, Navy · More Info

Debby Tenquist (@botanicatrading) • Instagram photos and videos · More Info

Richloom Fabric · More Info

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • lynartist

I don’t know why everyone thinks a tv on top of a cabinet looks good! That looks awkward to me and sticking a couple of chairs on either side of it doesn’t help much.

Design2 girl thanked lynartist
  • hollybar

Is this the TV watching room or simply a room with a TV in it? If the latter, then Flo's facing sofas might work. I still think that the TV over that chest or on the chest does not work. There are all sorts of nifty lower,leaner,longer alternatives.

edit to add: if your adventures leave you looking for an apple green woven, I nominate this one https://www.thibautdesign.com/catalog/product/details/product/brimfield_w73500/material/woven-fabrics/colorway/green_apple_846/

Design2 girl thanked hollybar
  • lynartist

I just prefer to see it integrated into something!

Design2 girl thanked lynartist
    Flo Mangan

Lynartist- D2g has asked to try to use pieces her daughter has. They can change out pieces over time. I too would prefer a console for placing TV that fits the space. It will evolve as they get settled in and determine what is most vital to their needs.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

Btw, Emily could use the chairs opposite sofa for now. Just trying to get the most for the pieces you have.

Flo Mangan

Love those pictures Lynartist. I would keep it minimal though. While the room seems large, when you remove approximately 3’ for walkways and accommodate fireplace you have a space that is about 16’ x 17’. So a bit tricky to layout with TV.

• lynartist

Those are for future reference Flo. Now that tv are so slim a custom cabinet/ bookcase can actually be very low profile; accommodate the tv and take up less floorspace! I only ask that it be considered in future plan;)!

Flo Mangan

Sure, sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying Lynartist.

Flo Mangan

layouts · More Info

Option 4 - I erased Option 3, because it just didn't work. Just trying various configurations.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • lynartist

I tried to “ like” your comments Flo:(!

Flo Mangan

Silly girl! We know "like" doesn't work! OK, just wanted you to know that your input is received!

• Design2 girl

okay, Flo, lets review this last option #4 please. Are you suggesting a single chair facing the tv wall? We have a matching pair of those Sherrill chairs, and those are due to get some fabric updates. I am trying to figure out if they both can work with the Bergere chairs flanking the fireplace. I like the idea of pulling them forward to a large ottoman. Especially if you think the English chest could anchor the back wall because you are precisely correct...this is the first impression view from the front door. And exactly the reason the sofa is not suitable for that wall. The glare coming in at 6:30 is miserable and I hate to see a sideways persons laying on a sofa from the front door.

I need to hear all the comparisons/pros/cons of using 2 sofas vs. 1 sofa and 2 groups of chairs in this size living room. What is most comfortable? Which option makes the most use of creating conversation and easy living space?

She did find this gorgeous Sherrill Mr. and Mrs. Howard sofa at a local furniture shop that is made exactly like this specification with a beautiful tape trim on the skirt, but it was only 76" long. We thought that was a bit short. I believe she can order it in a longer size. If one has the tape, does the second sofa have to match exactly? Would you use 2 of these sofas together in the room? And forgo the pair of cream Sherrill chairs facing the TV wall? Would you place 2 sofas at right angles in the room or facing each other?

Mr. and Mrs. Howard for Sherrill Furniture · More Info

And, yes, Hollybar, this is the main living room for inviting friends in for TV football games, hanging out, and closest to the kitchen for serving snacks/drinks. There is a playroom upstairs for the kids with a TV that they will use as a family, but this is the main room that she wants to be viewed from the front door and on the way to the kitchen, sunroom, breakfast room in this home.

I totally agree that this room could benefit from some built ins on the TV wall Lynartist, especially that first example, because that wall is very tall and they could maximize space that way for all those books! But, alas, that is not in the budget anytime soon. I am hoping that mounting the TV on the wall is going to help the awkwardness of that space, the apothecary chest is one of their favorite pieces, it is not going away, and at any rate, it will not be as high as over the mantle, so there is a moral victory in that placement. I do think we need a suitable wall arrangement that will work with the TV and be somewhat interesting. This was the first design plan for the TV wall, and that is why we placed the 2 chairs there. Now, she will not be placing urns on little shelves with small kids especially just in reach of standing on a chair to "get" them, lol. And I don't love the little skinny lamps on either side of the TV, who does that? And the little sunburst mirror looks too small to me. But, I DO like the idea of creating a wall with some interest around the TV.

And lastly, Flo do you think that English chest is substantial enough to anchor that long entrance wall with a lamp and those 4 botanical prints and be " enough" over there. Its daunting...that big wall.

Thanks so much for all the help and input. We need to shop again tomorrow and get some ideas. I think the heavy furniture for the office is coming soon and we will again be swamped and overwhelmed, lol.

Flo Mangan

Ok. I tried putting the two Sherrill chairs facing the TV but there would be no space to get to fireplace or sofa. With a shorter sofa it might work but a traditional Sherrill chair is pretty large. The ones I used are about 31x31 which is quite compact. You need 28” to 36” inches for main walkways. So each square in my layout is equal to one square foot. I much prefer the sofas facing each other. It looks best with matching sofas. With 76” sofas you will seat 2 on each sofa. I wasn’t sure of size of the English chest and if it isn’t too deep it might fit on that long side/left wall. I fear it is too deep? I love the. Bergere chairs but perhaps the Sherrills would be more comfortable for guests? The Bergere chairs possibly in office? The room just cannot handle 4 chairs. Unless we put sofas against walls which I know you don’t prefer. I would love a long, narrow console, black Asian style would be gorg with your ferns above them. Just depends on what your daughter feels best about.

Flo Mangan

Of course, we would love an antique Asian Alter table but this is pretty good reproduction from Ballards. Just to give you a visual. Had to block out Chest so use your imagination but a look like this would enhance whichever wall ends up blank. I envision this on left wall coming into living room. You could put two stools under it for a couple more folks to sit for game day. Ir kids could use.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

And the open end base with plant and small stools under would be nice view coming into space.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Design Interior South

Just barely browsed the post. Don't know how I've missed it. Love your Suggestions Flo! If this isnt right up my ally I don't know what is LOL!

• Design2 girl

Lots to think about here and thank you so much Flo. We are going to try to shop a little and see what we come up with. I love the leather ottoman idea and think she will want to add that piece. Its finding the right sofa......it requires some sitting and test driving time, lol!

An open table might be nice too. hmmmmm

• niccidhg

The new little guy is adorable in the middle of the rug in this picture. He will like seeing this photo when he is older :). The new rug looks nice. I would keep the tv on the wall where you have it in this pic. and the Bergere chairs are so pretty flanking the fireplace. I think since she already has the Sherrill chairs , they could be used facing the fireplace and perpendicular to the sofa ,which would be facing the tv. wall. The sofa would be further into the room , away from the left wall , so if someone is lying on it , the view from the entry is not all that bad. This arrangement would not be any less seating than two smaller sofas w/o the extra two chairs. ( I find some guests like to have their own chair.) It would also move the two Sherrill chairs to the opposite side of the room , away from the Bergeres ,so the chairs are more balanced in the room. Love the green botanical art. You could use that with the cabinet on the wall behind the sofa ( possibly using a more shallow table with small ottomans beneath, as Flo said. ). This arrangement might even allow for the one sofa to be longer, giving one extra seating space. As before , a large ottoman in the center would be great.

Flo Mangan

I changed the size of the sofa to 80" long (closest I had to the 76) and guessed at the sizes of the Sherrills, plus the 12" deep Asian Alter table (it would be about 4" shorter than this, but just to see the effect on the space, along with 48x48 ottoman, this could work. It would help to know the exact depth and width of the Sherrill chairs. I used 36x36, because I figured the Sherrills would be smaller than that so they should fit. We could do Option 5! I think this is similar to what nicci was saying above so see if this helps on the hunt tomorrow. Now I should point out that the walkway behind the chairs is tight, and the access to the seating area is somewhat difficult, but with a 76" sofa you could pick up a few inches of room. Hope this helps on the "hunt"!

layouts · More Info

(sorry this is so dark, but my light in my office is bad at night!

• Design2 girl

Hi Flo! The Sherrill chairs measure 30” wide 28” deep and 33” tall. I like this Option 5!

Flo Mangan

Ok. The Sherrill chairs will fit really well then as shown in Option 5. Those chairs are 36x36. So the Sherrill’s are smaller which is what I was hoping for. I will revise to show the additional space! Happy shopping!

Flo Mangan

OK, here is the "revised" Option 5 drawing now called 5a. I removed the 36x36 chairs and inserted smaller scale chairs. I was hoping they were smaller! I have also inserted two layouts/configurations for laying down the rug. (Easier than moving a heavy rug around.) I prefer the orientation that runs from left wall to TV wall for several reasons. First, it provides more play room between TV and ottoman on the rug; second, it is much easier to traverse along the inside wall with an open 3' space. Each square on the drawing is equal to 1 sq ft. So you can count the squares and see I have left 3' off the inside (stairway) wall. These big rugs are so heavy, I thought this might help. It is roughly where the rug is in your last photo I believe, might want to center the TV a bit more on the wall. You might also be "watching" as you shop for a pair of side cabinets that would go with the apothecary TV cabinet, one for each side. That would visually expand the "view of the furniture" on that wall and then you could add some artwork possibly, mirrors, deco items. Books inside cabinets probably.

layouts · More Info

Flo Mangan

Option 5a! Here is "revised" Option 5 to include smaller Sherrill chairs! I also laid out the rug orientations for a 9 x 13 rug. Two options. I think I prefer the option laying across the room since it keeps the "walkways" open. To run it from fireplace wall to other wall, creates a bit of a challenge with the walkway. I hate it when one foot is on a rug and the other is off or on the edge. That orientation also provides more "play space" between TV unit and ottoman for little ones and they stay on a rug. With the TV set up, rather than chairs, you might be able (with your shopping skills) to find a pair of side cabinets that would hold maybe books! that would create the illusion of more "bulk" there to balance off the higher apothecary chest. All depends on the long term plan for that wall.

layouts · More Info