collectorguru

Yikes, Let's Re-Decorate the Dining Room

Design2 girl
April 27, 2019

This is the new (old) dining room that needs a face lift! The floors are going to be refinished and our inclination is to stain the inlaid wood the same as the rest of the flooring, so effectively, removing this darker banding (which dates it, IMO) but the inlaid wood pieces will remain in this existing pattern, floors will be a medium brown, not as dark as the banding appears but maybe with a bit more depth than the overall color here. The walls, ceiling, trim and the columns will all be painted white, (color to be matched to the shutters that will remain. Give us some good ideas to jazz up this space, wallpaper suggestions welcome, paint selections needed, chandelier may need to remain and lowered of course, but would love lighting suggestions as well. What would you do with the tray ceiling in here?

This is the china cabinet that will go on the long wall adjacent to the windows, so fairly traditional with antique chippendale chairs with black leather seats. Liking blues/greens but want something in here that has some WOW factor as it is first thing you see as you enter the front door. Thanks if you made it this far!

Flo Mangan

I am sick for you, your whole family. Your sweet antique bed such a shame and so unnecessary. As to this designer, looks to me like a student did this without supervision. It is VERY disappointing. I can imagine how deflated you must be. But hey! We are here for you. I think you probably have the furniture laid out at least for major items. Do you have photos of the antique bed? Bet we can find a replacement for you. If it would help, I can do a scale layout for you if you give me measurements. We can do some mock ups of fabrics. The basic color palette is quite popular right now so how can we help?! Hugs to all.
    Flo

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • lshack17

Design2, I am so sorry. I know your SIL is having a tough time dealing with the stress of leaving the military and this move certainly isn't helping. It WILL get better! Have faith.

• Gcubed

Following

• lynartist

Sigh......

• lynartist

Well that is disappointing. I can’t say I really get the whole “ mood” board thing. It looks very underwhelming to me. Personally, I never made a mood board in my life! They always look kind of high school to me .

Design2 girl thanked lynartist
  • lynartist

While those fabrics are very pretty and colorful they look like printed cotton/ linen and are drapery weight . Check the rub count on those to see if they are sufficient for upholstery. If not I wouldn’t spend the $$$ on reupholstering the chairs in them unless you don’t plan on actually sitting on them.

• homechef59

And this is why I always find myself doing it myself. Pay the lady off for her time and send her on her way. This is underwhelming.

Who thinks potted plants with a toddler running around?

D2D, start a new thread. We'll get started on it. Give us the dimensions of both the child's room and the living room. You will enjoy doing it. We'll bring the ideas and expertise. DD gets to veto whatever doesn't work for her with the wave of a hand.

Lets start with a plan and a few basic pieces.

Design2 girl thanked homechef59
  • Seajay Sparkles

My first thought was how did the dining room fair with the move. Hoping all your work and sweat equity paid off. I’m in total agreement with homechef, total disappointment. So sorry.

Design2 girl thanked Seajay Sparkles
  • Design2 girl

omgeee, you all are just the best and I appreciate a vote of affirmation. I'm not sure what to do in this situation, I don't know if it is normal to need/want/ask for multiple revisions. She had links to buy the rug and the vases. The rug was a big stumbling block for me, I would prefer a beautiful persian/oriental to set the stage.

However, my daughter really wants to focus on a good sofa that is high quality and she is looking at a neutral Crypton fabric with 50K double rubs. I think it is important to her to have a comfortable sofa that is durable, but looks great all the time. I am biased toward a tight back sofa because they manage to stay put together, through thick and thin and husbands, kids and dogs. Her current sofa is a Chippendale hand me down that can be recovered for the playroom or it could go to the sunroom or it could be donated to Goodwill. There are options.

I found this pic on IG yesterday, and loved this sofa. I left a comment and asked the source, and the designer had it custom made to her specifications (of course, right? ) I think the pleat details and the shaped back are nice. Can a standard Chippendale sofa be fully skirted to resemble that? This room doesn't have enough color for my daughter, she is saying she wants to punch up this room with color. We'll see if that happens.

And she is looking at this neutral fawn/wheat colored linen type crypton fabric for the sofa. The small piece of trim at the right edge of the pic was a possibility for banding on the skirt which is just a standard kick pleat type, I was hoping some trim might jazz a boring sofa up a bit. ID never mentioned any of that.

Emily went back to the sample bag and pulled this Richloom Teahouse in Kelly/Blue for the Bergere chairs with the green texture on the back of those chairs.

The 2 matching Sherrill chairs are going to be a solid navy.

The biggest elephant in the room is what to do about the rug situation. We did visit the rug dealer here locally as her existing rugs have been cleaned and they are going to deliver them tomorrow. In addition, they are going to bring the one rug that she loved to put in the living room so that she might look at it.

Now, help me here. I know this is not what is currently in vogue, truly its not. But, this is the only rug she liked and we went through and turned ALL of them. She needs something soft, and she was not digging the jute/sisal because it is so rough to the touch. There was a solid ivory textured rug and she didn't give it a second glance. The baby will be crawling soon and she needs softness on the wood floors.

I wish the center was ivory rather than red to be honest, but the color was vibrant in this rug.

The 2 small navy samples are the Sherrill chairs

Pics not filtered or lightened or brightened, this is how the colors appear

My biggest concern is that she will find the teahouse print too busy on the rug as this rug is a bossy statement, but the greens are really pretty. What other piece could I suggest? She was opposed to the aqua and orange in the rug that the ID specified.

And now, I am just brainstorming....would the bergere chairs look better in the small green texture fabric and just have a few pillows done in teahouse? And let the rug do the talking?

Or what other kind of rug would you use? Needs to be large, like 10x14 would be fine, this one is 9'10" x 15' I think. I will measure it tomorrow when they put it in the room.

The dining room is fine. The china cabinet is loaded to the max and if I remember to snap a pic tomorrow, I will. Nothing has been hung on the walls yet. And we still have loads of books that are boxed up waiting for the bookcase/desk.

Whew, school starts on Thursday and then we can do a bit more shopping.

Open to any ideas, fabric choices you may have. The Robert Allen Summer Crewel fabric is gorgeous, but she just didn't want strawberries on the living room chairs, it is better suited for the kitchen/sunroom in her mind and I agree.

• lynartist

Wow! That is a very saturated colored rug! While the dark blue Sherrill fabric looks great with it the tea house doesn’t! The whimsical nature of the fabrics your daughter loves seem so in contrast to this rug choice! The textured green is fine although a bit casual compared to the rug and velvet. As far as the sofa, you should be able to customize with a company like Sherrill or Pearson on the dressmaker details, the single bench cushion, and arm style.

• lynartist

I saw this beautiful tight back sofa from Hickory chair.

Design2 girl thanked lynartist
  • niccidhg

I think this is lovely and the pattern’s scale might work with Emily’s chosen fabrics.

• niccidhg

Still traditional, but a bit less so . More of a mandala pattern , this brighter blue could be a fresh look with the blues and greens - a little more contemporary -

• shwshw

DG2, sorry for the extra burden that has been placed on you, but if anyone is up to it, You Are. You've got a great team here to help. Hang on....

• Denise Kaser

Following

Flo Mangan

D2G. Could you post room dimensions for living room. That way I can help define size of sofa. I hate just throwing a bunch of sofas at you that aren’t right for the space. If your daughter likes the sofa they have a custom slipcover might be a good choice for the immediate future. It will take some time to get new one if you order in next couple weeks even. Could be 10-12 weeks. So keep that in mind. As to a rug, again, it would help to know size needed. Thanks. I know y’all are overwhelmed right now but I am sure we can help. Going to be fun.

• Seajay Sparkles

I was simply going to say what you said. Reverse the green to the front of the chair and perhaps a linear pattern to the reverse and do pillows with the tea house. Beautiful rug and agree very bossy.

• niccidhg

Maybe you will all love the rug that is coming today . That would be wonderful . So, I am just sending some that seem to meet Emily’s design sensibilities for comparison , since there was only one she liked at the local vendor . It is very hard to find traditional rugs that include the right shade of green. If she finds a blue rug she loves , the vibrant green can just become the accent color in the room. Green, blue and neutral will be so pretty . —- Love the blue in this Peshawar. It is vibrant but the rug still exudes a soft look.

• homechef59

Either she does a washed looking oriental or the more vibrant one that you found. Both will work with a toddler, dogs and husband. They will take a beating. Sisal and jute won't take sippy cups and Kool-Aid. They are too rough to lay on or crawl across.

While you and I would vote for the more vibrant Persian, your daughter and her generation will like that more muted blue/green or one of the washed/faded oriental-esque rugs. At the big antiques market in Atlanta, most of what I am seeing is the washed type of Persian. They should be easy to find. I think it would coordinate well with some of her other selections.

Hickory Chair or Ethan Allen would be good sources for basic, well-made sofas that will last most of her lifetime. She can spec it with a tight back or cushions.

She's right to want to start with that basic piece in a solid, heavy wear fabric. Then you can add some punch with that tea house fabric on the chairs. Add some pillows in the same fabric with trim and a few that are in a coordinating color. Those can be thrown on the floor and never look messy.

From there, she can build the layers as she has time and budget.

• niccidhg

With the Indigo Batik on the dining room ceiling, it seems a blue ground in the living room would give a nice cohesiveness from room to room.

• lynartist

That’s a lovely rug nicci and a bit more contemporary looking for a young family!

• lynartist

Maybe I’m old old fashioned but I find the dyes used on the rug Emily likes to be a bit jarring. It is obviously a modern rug so they have used synthetic dyes but I wonder how this will look in the home setting. This style rug in an antique would be tempered by the softer, muted vegetable dyes.

Design2 girl thanked lynartist
    Flo Mangan

A couple cautions D2G. Be careful your style, which is impeccable, doesn’t dominate her home and choices. Also, i wonder if adding more blue in a rug is the best direction. I would use some to tie the rooms together but I think a nice neutral rug would be great. Perhaps a bit of sage green. Keep things light and bright which your daughter leans to. Also, peaceful tones would be calming amidst all the drama of this move. Just a few thoughts.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • Molly

The berry color seems to be very popular this season. I've seen it online at EA and Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams and in offerings from Robert Allen and Duralee, among others. If she chooses to go with the rug (and it looks like there is a berry in it), we've explored a lot of that color over on DD Deco's thread.

Design2 girl thanked Molly
  • hollybar

D2G, I think your furniture plan should be firm before adding a rug. Especially rugs with center medallions and heavy borders. I confess I'm a bit lost on just how trad she wants the room to be....

Design2 girl thanked hollybar
  • happyleg

Love the rug to match the ceiling.

• tartanmeup

Emily's choice of rug is too bold for those fabrics, I think. I love colour but the rug and fabrics are just different moods.

Design2 girl thanked tartanmeup
  • Design2 girl

okay, thank you all for the great suggestions and ideas. Especially Flo...yes, the whole reason I wanted input from an ID was not to dominate her ideas/thoughts. Ugh. So, in the condensed version because today has been super busy......

Her rugs that were sent for cleaning were returned today and here is where we stand. Please remember they have just moved in and are barely out of boxes, and in some cases, still have boxes

I ordered new rug pads from RugPads.com and they were fabulous. This is the existing rug that is in the office, ignore the wing chairs, they are on the way to the upholsterer...as soon as we choose some fabric. This rug has to stay for now, the ground is navy. The desk, file cabinet and bookcase have not shipped yet. Is it bad that I like this room empty? So pleasant and easy to talk to, lol!

This is the master bedroom rug, ignore the shutters open/close and the wayward chaise. This room is shaping up fairly easily. This is her version of modern, lol.

And here is the rug on approval......but before you even see it. Its going back to the shop tomorrow. It is a definite NO. However, the size is great. and I believe it is an 11'4" x 14 or so, I will check on that tomorrow. It was worth placing it just to get a visual on the size. The center medallion definitely makes the placement a bit more difficult. Which makes the case for a different style.

(5) Mimi Tucker · More Info

At any rate, she has definitely decided that she wants a lighter overall color (ivory perhaps) and less pattern. So, that is what we will focus on and I am hopeful that when school starts, we can spend some serious time looking.

Meanwhile, I ran a quick local errand, and omgeeeeee, look what I ran into!

(5) Mimi Tucker · More Info

This was available in 25" and 19", huge!

(5) Mimi Tucker · More Info

(5) Mimi Tucker · More Info

And while I never buy accessories first, I couldn't pass this steal of a deal up. We will be using blue/white and yes, I did buy all of them...lol.

So, the rug is going back and I really love the Hickory Chair sofa that Lynartist posted above! I do believe that is the one from the IG inspo pic with the custom pleats added. But, wow, it is 92" and I think that may be a bit oversized for this room. The other sofa we are considering is 86" or so.

So, starting from the beginning, Flo, you are right, we need the correct furniture placement layout and I will have to remeasure the room tomorrow to get exact dimensions. But, basically, I think the sofa is going to be facing the fireplace and the mantle will be the focal point. I see these large blue/white matching pair of lidded urns on the mantle. The 2 Bergere chairs currently are flanking the fireplace and I like that you can at least see the back of 1 of them from the kitchen/sunroom view. The wall with the apothecary chest is anchoring the TV . The 2 matching Sherrill chairs currently have an English writing chest on the wall between them. Its a bit tall to be between those chairs, so we may need to adjust that. I will get pics of each individual wall. But, lets try to find a neutral rug...and I mean light, soft and easy to work with for the groundwork in this room. This is not my forte.....I like true, Persian rugs, and if you have a link for a soft, easy Oushak that works with everything, bring it out! I prefer wool, but she doesn't have to have a wool rug.

I am still searching.......

Flo Mangan

D2g. OMG I can see it all now! Library rug is really pretty. Perfect for this room. I look forward to room measurements. I was laughing out loud about your shopping trip. We are twins! I definitely would have bought them all. I can understand waiting on accessories too but I have learned the hard way grab what you love. Never has proven wrong. I hope I didn’t offend with my cautious remarks. But you did it well. Hiring the designer probably was well worth it in a way you never quite imagined. She has relearned, Mother is good at this! Haha! See ya tomorrow. Oh. Been looking for rugs right along the lines you mentioned. Found one. Let me see if i saved a photo.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • hollybar

A couple sites you might consider in addition to the usual suspects: Manhattan Rugs for mostly newly made Oushaks and Peshawars https://www.manhattanrugs.com/Chobi-Rugs-s/118.htm?searching=Y&sort=3&cat=118&show=30&page=1&f-10%27%20x%2014%27=168

Plain wools https://fibreworks.com/fiber/wool/ 

Ben Soleimani The guy who did the RH Performance Rugs. Selling them here along with wool rugs. https://bensoleimani.com/ 

And if she is more about the soft than the fine, why not look at Karastan non-wool lines? Typically they are thick and don't look like a mat on the floor. That said, a good rug merchant makes it easiest to do in person. Finding an Oushak of that size,not prohibitively expensive,and with the requisite coloring is no mean feat. But you will get there.

Design2 girl thanked hollybar
    Flo Mangan

I have a slight variation on the color palette. I am introducing a light green rug and a subtle green pattern fabric possibly for Bergere chairs and bolder print for some pillows or even combo on Bergere. The rug is wool but not real expensive. I feel it would be nice combo with navy blue. I would also paint the wall behind the sofa dark blue for a pretty view from Bergere chairs.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

I feel the light celery green in the rug would be family friendly and be fresh and cheerful.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

Fabric with fruit is from most recent Ballards catalog. Sorry the pictures are so dark. If you like the direction I can get better photos in daylight. The art would go over fireplace or one on each side of apothecary chest with companion art over fireplace with lidded jars. Yum!

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • niccidhg

This has a very subtle ,beautiful ,traditional pattern in beige. 100% wool , hand tufted , 1/2” thick, very good price for this size in wool - so pretty for a neutral rug which has a pattern , but reads as almost a solid in its color - Momeni rug at Rugsdirect -

Design2 girl thanked niccidhg
  • shwshw

That's a beauty Nicci.

• Seajay Sparkles

Wow, I love that rug, Nicci. What a good shopper you are.

Flo, introducing light green is beautiful.

• lynartist

Looking for a rug from a good local vender gives you the option of trying them out in your home and retuning them. When you are talking this large size that’s certainly a plus;)!

• Seajay Sparkles

I know this isn’t neutral but would not fight with prints. Lyn’s advice to shop local is great advice. . . especially when dealing with blues.

• homechef59

While we are waiting on the dimensions. I thought I would look for an inspiration picture or two. I'm going to suggest a rug that is Persianesque. If that's a word. I found these at Ballard's Designs. They certainly show a move away from grey to colors.

• Design2 girl

I know it sounds so simple to get dimensions but with a busy toddler and breastfeeding infant, it’s harder than it sounds!

The room measures 19’5” x 17’0 and my husband is going to sketch it for us.
    For now, here is a mock up of the fireplace wall, this painting is going in the office so it is only for sizing purposes and these are the 19” lidded urns on the mantle and 24” urn sitting on the floor.

Flo Mangan

I will do a scale drawing too. Your daughter is amazing. Takes after her Mom I believe!

• niccidhg

D2g, the urns look amazing there. — I had saved this wallpaper to my ideabook and just ran across it . Thought your daughter might like it for future reference for somewhere (?) .

• Seajay Sparkles

Urns look great there.

Contempo Space

We agree with people stating that urns look great with the design!

Flo Mangan

I like urns on the mantel but I am not sure about one on the hearth. Might be a risk with kids and doggie? Especially BIG doggie. Is he/she adjusting to the move. Sometimes these moves are harder on our fur babies than people! Once you post the sketch, I can proceed with scale drawing.

• J Williams

Your jars say double happiness.

• lynartist

The jars look very nice on the mantle. Great find.

Flo Mangan

OK, I just couldn't wait for the sketch from hubby! I guessed at the walls and windows and fireplace, so all needs to be verified. So I came up with this layout. I have changed the seating, to make it more family friendly since I believe this is the "family room/great room". I might be wrong. You can clarify.

layouts · More Info

I put two sofas in the space. Better for TV viewing and lounging with kids and fur babies! I put a oversized coffee table 48"x48" you could go a bit larger too, your Bergere chairs, an oversized floor lamp with oversized shade to make that corner sing! I put the apothecary chest on side wall with a couple chairs (maybe spares from dining room?) to give that wall more oomph. With this layout a 11' x 13' rug works well. Keeps walkways 3' and 1' away from hearth. Hope this gives you some ideas and once I get specific measurements, I can do better. Just having fun trying to help you and mainly your daughter! We all want to contribute and thank her hubby and family for "their" service!! Enjoy!

Flo Mangan

I realize my layout diverts from some of the original design plans, but I just kept thinking about so many chairs with a family. Or is this really a more "living room"?

Julianne Kelly · More Info

This photo shows an oversized floor lamp. Now not your colors or style, but something big in that corner could be a real showstopper. I do love this room. It is small but so well done. Great square coffee table too.