Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gbartholomai

looking for family room update advice

Susie
4 years ago
I am in the market for a new couch. Just as with any improvement, one new item warrants the need for several other updates. So I will probably also end up getting a new rug (solid sisal looking rug), drapes (maybe ivory linen with bamboo blinds), and a new coffee table. Before I start shopping for a couch, I am interested in feedback about couch style and color, and other suggestions for the room. My husband would be happy if we could keep the trim color just because that is a lot of painting, but if necessary I can talk him into it. Thank you in advance for your suggestions. I love following all the advice shared.

Comments (12)

• Irene Morresey
    4 years ago
    I think I would discard the big black entertainment unit first, seems to dominate the room, nice space to update
  • Irene Morresey
    4 years ago
    Some inspiration, what style and colours do you like
  • KK1000
    4 years ago
    If you have to keep the black cabinet I would suggest painting it same colour as your trim or something bright like melon colour and get a rug to complement it. New sofa and couple of leather armchairs/ recliners. New curtains in plain colour and put black lanterns somewhere else, maybe on the porch or balcony.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A simple three seat sofa, a comfy chair and ottoman, , and LOSE the big bulky built in for a lower tv console and flat screen above. The room will brighten immensely as will the sense of space. That's a fairly small tv by todays standards : )

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

What a great room--beautiful proportions and such nice millwork!

I'd get a tightback sofa, no skirt, in chenille or velvet.

Manheim Farmhouse · More Info

The Summer House · More Info

And a real seagrass rug, instead of sisal-look. They are very inexpensive, and add great texture to the room. The color of the trim is very neutral, and you definitely could work around it if painting is not an option. I'd want some pattern, even if it's only on a pillow, to direct the palette. You can get some great handmade pillows on Etsy.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• Harper
    4 years ago

I agree with painting the entertainment unit.

• felizlady
    4 years ago
    Pick your furniture before deciding on trim color. If your new fabric (drapes, upholstered chairs) has that color in it, the fireplace surround and trim may not need to be painted. I suggest moving away from rolled-arm seating pieces. A simple rectangular-arm “tuxedo” style sofa is a little sleeker, a little younger, a lot smaller than roll-arm styles with big plush cushions. I would avoid a sectional because they can overwhelm an average-size room. Two sofas and two or three chairs would be my choice.
    Replace the mirror with a nice painting over the mantel. Your windows are gorgeous. Stay with simple panels in a fabric you love.
  • Susie
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate the honesty. When I bought this current couch, I had 4 young children fighting for a place to sit. I soon learned that it didn’t matter how big the couch was, they just wanted to bother each other. Please keep the advice coming, including any accessory details. I’ll begin the process and send updates.
  • Susie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So I am finally getting around to taking the next steps for this room makeover. I rearranged the room based on feedback. I removed the large sectional and I am trying this couch in the room just for size and style. I feel like the room proportions are off between the tv, couch size (89”) and rug size (9x12). So I am looking for advice on furniture placement and size. I think I will repaint, definitely update accessories, replace rug with natural fiber rug, and add solid drapes. I am trying to work with TV stand (painting) and chairs due to budget limitations, but if they are the problem let me know. Thank you all in advance for any advice.

• Susie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sponsored
Thomas Custom Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Northern Virginia Authority in Custom Home Design, Build & Remodeling