Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terri_williams66

Dahlia Mom's Special

Terri Williams
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hey, all! It's been a while since I have been in the forums.
This year is the first in a couple that I have planted. I feel like a total newbie again. I bought Mom's Special. I feel like I am late planting but I am a bit desperate to get this dahlia to bloom. I lost my mom to lung cancer last May and just really want a dahlia to honor her.
I still haven't gone the traditional garden route. I have always planted in containers. I am worried about my dahlias. I pulled the bag out of the shed about two weeks ago and I think the heat let too much moisture in. The little sprouts on one of the tubers turned black and mushy. I planted them in short, but wise plastic containers with some anenomes that I failed to soak.
I planted a little over a week ago, the tuber with the mushy sprouts is still dormant. There is no new growth. The other one still has the two little sprouts that are green. No sign of new growth.
I felt around the tubers today and they aren't mush but there are some soft spots. There is a bit of moisture from some rains we had the last few days. Should I pull them up and let them dry a bit? Will this affect their ability to grow? Has anyone grown Mom's Special?
Also, if anyone has advice for revilatizing hardy gloxinia, I would appreciate it. The rain we had soaked my baby and now she is wilty.
Thank you.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional