Software
Houzz Logo Print
sara_bartee

Big Girl Room-Needs help!

7 years ago
Surprise! It’s me again. We just upgraded my daughter to a daybed. It’s WAY larger than expected. Do you have any suggestions on furniture arrangement for this room? It is messy, and it does have a lot going on.

I just don’t know the best placement for her current furniture. I’ve tried the bed on the window wall, but it’s super close to the closet door if I center it. I just feel like I need a focal point or something.

I’m definitely going to organize under the cube shelving, and pick up her doll house stuff.

I’m also considering some Roman shades. I’ll have to also arrange all of the wall decor and get a different rug.

AND YES I UNDERSTAND NO ONE LIKES THE COW SKULL. (Sorry I’m from Texas, it’s our norm.. I’ll take it down)

Comments (26)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Isn't the daybed just the size of a single/twin mattress?

    Where else would the bed fit in the room?

  • 7 years ago
    The bed fits on every wall, but then I get stumped on where to put everything else.

    I do thank you for your parenting tip, but we chose to put the tv in her room. She does not have free range with it.
  • 7 years ago

    :-) We had the exact same bed in my older daughter‘s room

    at our last house. It does feel large and we had it on the wall just inside the door positioned similar to the way you have it. (And coincidentally we had a similar color on her walls.) The arrangement worked for us. We moved to a different house to accommodate baby #3 and I was planning to have the daybed in that room and it was too big to fit on any of the walls due to dormers and position of closet! Anyway I like where you have it based on the other features of the room. It seems where you have it gives the most play area.

  • 7 years ago
    Thank you Champ! I absolutely love the bed. I guess I got too Pinterest happy when I bought it and didn’t think the size through.

    I think you’re right. Maybe it just needs some cleaning up and a bigger rug. Besides, I think I’ve tried every possible arrangement and keep coming back to this one.

    We’re getting ready for #2, so we went ahead and upgraded her to a big girl bed.
  • 7 years ago

    Oh, the room is cute. I wouldn't do much, just a larger rug, a couple more curtain panels so they don't look skimpy, and a more intentional placement of art on the walls.

  • 7 years ago
    Thank you Grover! I appreciate your advice. What do you think about Roman shades? Or bamboo shades?
    We just moved the big bed in today, so I haven’t adjusted the things on the wall yet. Most definitely next on my list + a bigger rug!
  • 7 years ago

    I think current arrangement is fine, although I don't see any gain to centering the bed on the walll -- just treat it like a normal bed and push it into the corner. It feels big because it basically has a large headboard and footboard, but you'll get used to it. Probably cozy to her.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Sara, It looks like you already have a roller shade on the window. I'd add two more curtain panels instead and keep the current shade.

  • 7 years ago
    ACM, it would definitely give me a little more space if I pushed it into the corner
  • 7 years ago
    Just a thought,

    What if I put the bed up against the corner on the window wall. Kitchen near the closet door, cube shelf on the wall straight across from window, and tall dresser beside the bed (kind of where the bed currently is) ?

    Maybe I’m overthinking this.
  • 7 years ago
    Kind of like this, but the bed pushed over to the corner of the wall?
  • 7 years ago

    I don't like to see a large piece of furniture near the door. It make the room feel cramped as you enter it. Also not a fan of a bed across a window. I'd put the bed where the TV is now, pushed against the corner on the right side.

  • 7 years ago
    A bedroom for a child does not need a focal wall...it just needs to be arranged for easy movement with clothing in one area, toys/games in another, a counter for use as a desk area, a chair. Decor may consist of nice bedding and her own art on one wall. If you want the girl to learn to make her own bed, she needs to be able to reach all sides of the bed. If you have room to place the head of the bed against the wall, that would help.
  • 7 years ago

    I think the bed feels large because it butts up to the bedroom door. You walk in the room and into the bed. Move the bed to the wall the TV is on. It will open up the room.

  • 7 years ago
    If you move Bed to wall with tv or the dollhouse, you leave the window wall free to put in storage, window seat or desk which looks lovely
  • 7 years ago

    Kids have a lot of STUFF. I think I would accept her room isn't a show place it's a play place and if the design aesthetic isn't up to standard keep the door closed when you have company. This too will pass. The next stage of her life might make more sense to worry about style/design/look. Safety first would have me keep the roller shades, lose the drapery panels, remove the tv--they topple and kill kids; rethink the chandy..what's the purpose of light in that corner, the chain is a hazard.

  • 7 years ago
    I like the idea of putting the bed in the corner on the wall the TV is on now. I could move the TV to the wall her bed is currently on. Leave the dresser where it is, but then where to put the kitchen

    I appreciate all of your help.
  • 7 years ago

    Oh, my goodness! Her room is perfectly perfect! Let it be! Continuously rearranging the furniture is not going to make any real difference.

    My only suggestion is to perhaps mount the TV on the wall so as to clear that surface. But, then, if you don't---her room is still perfectly perfect. It looks like she likes it!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    This looks like a perfect childs room her stuff is where she can get at it I don’t think I would do anything.I would not do roman shades unless they can now be made with no cords I do however agree the TV should go and BTW I love the cow skull . Kids rooms should be their space not some decorators idea of a childs room. The only thing I suggest is as she gets older make sure you purge not used toys often.

  • 7 years ago

    I love the daybed and would try it on the wall where the TV is currently, simply because walking into the end of the bed is awkward and definitely cuts off your view/path into the room. I am a huge fan of simple plantation shutters on children's windows as they are great to control light and have no cords. They will also be sleek and streamlined for all the rest of the busyness of the room. Her kitchen is darling and can go to the left of the window maybe? I also like the idea of mounting the TV on the wall, but not until you are absolutely certain where you want to leave it. Girls are so fun! And its so important to arrange things so they have ease of access which she does in this room.

  • 7 years ago
    Going to leave it like this for a few days to make sure I still like it before I arrange the wall decor.

    I think this way looks much better. We’re about to do a toy purge!
  • 7 years ago

    I like the bed where you have placed it.

    I would put the kitchen and the cubbies side by side. As you have it now, the cubbies are blocking some of the play space in front of the kitchen.

  • 7 years ago

    New arrangement looks great. I'd get some fun window panels instead of the sheers that are currently there. I think it will create the focal point you were looking for.


    Yes to the suggestions above about mounting the TV for safety. My friend who is a pediatrician screens all patients for TV placement/security. A shocking number of children are seriously injured or killed by TVs. It is no joke.


    Additionally, a note on internet safety: I would reconsider posting your first and last name and pic as well as your child's picture along with her name online. I was just able to look up a lot of information about you online and can find where you live. Yikes!

  • 7 years ago

    Don't you think there is too much stuff in a single room? Just organize it in a better manner.

  • 7 years ago
    Proper little girls room, very cute