Software
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug9a

Help with training and pruning

So I have a couple of roses that I trained the longer stems at an angle to produce laterals. Now that the blooms on the laterals are done, how do I prune? What should I do with the lateral to encourage more blooms? Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (21)

  • 7 years ago

    Altorama, I did this to Jude, mme. Ernest calvat and don juan. I also trained a couple of roses that I cant recollect what they are as they have never bloomed in 3 years and only one of them has a bud now.

  • 7 years ago

    So, silly question, the laterals will bloom again?

  • 7 years ago

    Yes they should as those roses bloom in flushes. If "Jude" "Jude the Obscure".

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked altorama Ray
  • 7 years ago

    Yes, it is Jude the Obscure. He doesnt bloom much for me.

  • 7 years ago

    Is it a young rose? I get great results using rosetone, maybe it needs some fertilizer?

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked altorama Ray
  • 7 years ago

    Also, if you have multiple roses that aren't blooming check for signs of rose midge (burnt-looking growth tips).

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 7 years ago

    Altorama, they are not young, I think I planted them in 2015. I planted 6 in total, 2 died. , jude and don Juan bloom a little, the two left have not bloomed at all, and I have even lost track of what they are. One has a bud , so let's see.


    KS, I dont see any brown tips....but I dont know what I'm looking for....

  • 7 years ago

    Yes no blooms could mean midge or thrips, in a while I will try to find a picture for you of what KS means, It can be hard to really see... Where you would expect a bud may look a bit shriveled and almost burnt.

    How does the rest of the plant look?

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked altorama Ray
  • 7 years ago

    Rest of the plant looks fine, I dont see any obvious issues. My Jude did produce a couple more flowers as I made it a pint to fertilize early this year. The two puzzle me, but maybe I need to spend more time to figure out what is happening. They do produce new growth, and while most of my others this would end up in buds, they are just blind shoots.

  • 7 years ago

    It certainly sounds like thrips are a good possibility, here is some info http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7429.html


    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked altorama Ray
  • 7 years ago

    Here is the new growth, I am not sure if I see any damage . No bugs...



  • 7 years ago

    In your second picture there seems to be a dark core at the heart of the new growth, where the bud would develop. That sort of damage (if I am seeing it right) is very characteristic of midge.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you KS, what can i do? I looked up the blue cups, is it just coating with oil and placing around the area?


    i have never seen a bud develop and get damaged...just no buds

  • 7 years ago

    I haven't used the blue cups, but I believe that is how they work (I intend to try them this summer, but haven't gotten around to it). Obviously there are pesticides that will deal with them, but I'm not willing to ever use anything stronger than neem, so... I'd try to look for stronger confirmation about what you are dealing with before applying anything toxic (for sure) and really think about the habits of whatever it is that is afflicting your plants, to try to minimize the damage with organic controls. If it does turn out to be midge, it is a tricky thing to deal with. In any case, blue cups are reputed to be effective against both midge and thrips. If you get some on the cups you might be able to tell what they are.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you...not sure how to confirm. The tow two bushes have never bloomed. I wawas pretty close to taking them out, but if it is midge, not sure what to do. I have not sprayed any of my roses, but also dont see any point in having these that have not bloomed ever (3 or 4 years)

  • 7 years ago

    Are you using a balanced fertilizer for roses? If you use one that is too high in nitrogen (the N in the N-P-K ratio) you may get a lot of green growth in lieu of flowers.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you sultry, I dont think I've used much fertilizer for these, just some alfalfa. I was thinking of giving them something and if they stil refuse to bloom. Yank them out. One has one bud, after 3 yrs.


    I checked them again aand dont see any brown or black...

  • 7 years ago

    I got rid of midge by covering the soil with a plastic bag for almost one year.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 7 years ago

    Rekha, another possibility is that those roses are varieties that require more winter chill than you get to set buds. If you have other rose bushes that bloom as they are supposed to, then it might be that.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 7 years ago

    KS, I think they both are David Austin roses, one of them I picked up from whole foods. I will pospost pic of the one line bloom when the bud opens.


    I tried to look carefully but did not see any brown or black. Will get in tthere with a magnifying glass this weekend. I hung a yellow sticky trap that I had, hopefully wont catch the good bugs.