0
rnaval41

Tenacity vs. Weed-b-Gon

Rohit Naval

Is Tenacity much better at killing weeds than Weed-b-Gon Lawn Weed Killer 2 concentrate?

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)

Yes, no, and maybe. It depends on the weed and its susceptibility to Weed-B-Gon and/or Tenacity.

WBG won't touch P. annua or P. trivialis, whereas Tenacity will. However, Tenacity is an awfully expensive way to take out your dandelions (and will whiten your bluegrass considerably while doing so where the WBG won't). Tenacity knocks out globe thistle, WBG doesn't. But WBG takes out pig's ears and Tenacity won't touch those that I've ever noticed.

So really, use the right herbicide for the right job. Because of its low toxicity, I give Tenacity as much play as possible. If we should later learn it harms some insect species I don't want to damage, I'll pull back usage. But so far, so good.

Rohit Naval thanked morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
  • Rohit Naval

Yes, I think I will go with Tenacity. Also because it’s been one week after using WBG and I’m not seeing any results. I did use an old bottle of WBG, maybe it’s no longer effective? Does weed killer have any expiration dates?

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)

Rohit:

Do you know what weed(s) you are targeting?

In answer to your last question: I know that at least 1 herbicide used in the past had an “expiration date”, but I know nothing about effectiveness post expiration. Certainly many (if not all) pharmaceuticals “work” for some time post expiration; several (at least) for at least a few years post expiration. Storage conditions matter.

• Rohit Naval

I see Dandelions, Shotweed and a few others that I‘m not familiar with which are very low to the ground - maybe an inch high at the most and about two feet wide.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)

Dandelions tend to be susceptible to a lot of herbicides, they're not very sturdy plants in terms of chemical tolerance.

Some herbicides definitely do go bad over time. Others seem to be almost immortal under garage-style storage conditions away from moisture and bacteria.

You can check with the company as to how long WBG will last under normal conditions--I suspect it's a very long period. If it's past its expiration date and you suspect it's gone over, it's time to dispose of it properly (check the bottle or ask for what the instructions are on getting rid of excess herbicide).

• kitasei

Before using herbicides on dandelions, gardengal pointed out on another thread that chemicals only kill their tops, not taproots. Get down and dig them out!

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)

Fortunately, it's the other way 'round. Dug out, they tend to regrow. Herbicides will translocate and kill the dandelion.

• Rohit Naval

Here are a few pictures of the weeds, can you tell what type of weed this is?

• Rohit Naval

Any idea on what type of weed this is? I tried uploading other pictures but it didn’t work.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)

Clueless, although I've seen it in other lawns and identified it as generally WBG-susceptible. :-) You can test Tenacity on it if you want, as well. Keep in mind that Tenacity is a bit slow so the fade-out will take a bit.

Looks like chickweed, Stellaria species, in which case either herbicide should address it.

And my cautions about dandelions only applied to herbicides that are not translocated to the root system....like vinegar. Both Tenacity or Weed-B-Gon should address those satisfactorily as well.

• Rohit Naval

How often do you apply herbicide? And how much time between applications? Just wanted to be sure I follow the correct process.

It will tell you on the label. Read it carefully....it is actually a legal document.

• Rohit Naval

I was actually curious about general practice of the knowledgeable folks on this forum, How often do you apply it?

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)

"As necessary."

For most things, like chickweed or dandelion, one shot of WBG or Tenacity will take it out and that's that.

If you blanket spray, I only recommend doing so just before planting with grass seed. Otherwise, new weeds will simply sprout in the newly-available and very attractive open spaces.

On stuff like P. annua and P. trivialis, there I'd follow the Tenacity label. Sturdy stuff might require a second application after 2 to 3 weeks, as might a new stand of grass. I try to avoid that and never recommend it as it can harm fescues and even KBG will turn ghostly white and look terrible before it finally recovers (and not all of it necessarily will).

And again, pay attention to maximum usage. For spot spraying, you're not going to approach it. For Tenacity, 16 oz per acre per year is the maximum (call it 0.35 oz per thousand square feet of concentrate). More than that can get toxic to everything and even grasses won't tolerate usage at that level!

• Rohit Naval

Ok so if I’m spot spraying only, every couple of weeks should be safe enough, correct?

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)

Oh, yeah, I would think so.