Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emilywilliams78

What’s wrong with my Bur Oak?

E W
4 years ago

The leaves curl every year starting right after it leafs out. They turn brown mostly. Tree is stressed and leaves come out on the trunk as well. I suspect aphids aren’t helping but could it be something else? How do I fix it?

Comments (12)

• E W
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I thought these posted earlier.

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thanks! :-)

That's pretty normal for these types of trees to put leaves out in various parts of the trunk, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If the browning is during the hot weather in mid summer and isn't too severe, I don't know if it's really a problem either.

A severe aphid infestation is annoying and if bad enough can affect the leaves to some extent.

But really the tree looks quite healthy and In my eyes and there isn't any other obvious problems.

Can we have some history. How long has the tree been there? What type of soil is it? Do you provide supplemental water at all?

Other than getting enough water I can't think of anything else to say but someone else may come along and chime in with another idea.

• E W
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We’ve had a wet spring and it is irrigated when the rain slows. I’m concerned about the leaf curl mostly. It’s difficult to photograph but I’d say 85-90% of the leaves are curled and deformed or quite small. It’s been this way three years since we moved here. The first photos I posted showed an orangey rust color under one if the leaves and a gathering of black spots which I think may be aphid eggs? Those two things are what I was hoping to identify as the cause of the malformed leaves.

Thank you for looking and commenting!

• E W
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I just realized only one photo was originally posted. Here are the others.

• E W
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• User
    4 years ago

Now that I see these, it looks entirely like insect damage.

You can contact you county agriculture extension office (USDA) and they'll be able to give you a better idea for treating these diseases for your location,

Here's some info on tree insects:

• E W
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much! I thought I had four pictures on the initial post. Not sure why they didn’t show. I appreciate your answer!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Unless a very small or young tree, insect damage to foliage is more of a cosmetic concern than anything that is actually harmful - those leaves are stlll fully able to photosynthesize and do their job. Typically, treating to control minor insects like aphids can cause more harm than it solves.

• User
    4 years ago

GG is right.

I have a small bur oak and by end of summer, it has it's share of bug damage but I've never done anything to it and it comes back just fine. Of coarse we don't have the heat and humidity levels as Texas and not for very long.

It might still be a good idea to call your extension office and just see what they say. They might just tell you 'don't mess with Texas'. lol

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

is that a nail 4th pic from the top.... a little above soil level???

if so.. make sure you give notice to any chain guys ...

ken

• E W
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I did implants last fall but clearly it didn’t help.

I just bought 1500 ladybugs on amazon. this should be a barrel of monkeys!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner