Software
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_rogowski

help with kitchen

I am currently remodeling this kitchen cabinets and granite. I chose cream colored cabinets, will attach and snowfall granite. Will this look too traditional and dated? Should I go with a more current/transitional look? I just need some advice on what would pros do?

Comments (14)

  • 7 years ago

    You said that you made your choices, so why ask now? Are you able to change what you already chose? What style/era is your house? That should inform the look/feel of the finishes you choose. Those cabinets are VERY traditional and pretty ornate/fussy, especially in such a small space and as compared to what you currently have.

  • 7 years ago
    No work has been started just yet so I feel I can change selection if need be. This is a ranch house built in 1953 and has a big addition on top. Thank you for advice.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I like the cream, but I think the glaze effect is what makes it look dated (kind of dirty too) in the sample picture. I would skip the glaze.

  • 7 years ago
    Got it, would changing the glaze color help? Or just skip entirely
  • 7 years ago
    I think a softer cream is warmer and more inviting than a white. White is stark.
  • 7 years ago
    I see what you are saying, we are planning to darken the wood floors. Also yes we are sticking with white trims. I hope that will freshen up look, and a new paint job. The only thing we are changing with layout is the granite counter will be one level, extending further out and adding bar stools.
  • 7 years ago

    mainenell and that's what I like about it! Warm it up with floors, counters, etc.


  • 7 years ago

    I agree that the glaze and the rope are too much. Also, your layout, with the fridge against the wall, needs improvement. ARe you changing the layout?

    Don't get dark wood floors. They show every speck and crumb, and you will be cursing how hard they are to keep looking clean. You will have just swiffered, and one toast crumb will look glaring against the dark floor, and make the whole thing appear like you haven't cleaned.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    IMO before you make these decisions think about the layout, from what I see you have no space for stools. A counter depth fridge will help but not in the corner . I think if you are going to spend the money youe should look at acompletely new layout mabe going into the eating space. Post a floor plan of the house to scale on graph paper. To waste a whole lot of money on this tiny kitchen makes no sense to me. No glaze or rope trim either way.

  • 7 years ago
    The White is going to make the cream look dirty.
  • 7 years ago
    Why don't you just paint ten cabinets in a warm /light gray white ??
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    No work has been started just yet so I feel I can change selection if need be.

    Good. Definitely revisit the selection. The glaze, rope, etc. are far too fussy to fit into a 1953 ranch, it is a very specific style that won't work in many spaces. Since work has not started yet I would definitely start from scratch and fix the layout. As Patricia said, it seems like a waste of a whole lot of money on this kitchen as it is currently laid out. Improve the layout first, it will be well worth it.

  • 7 years ago
    Awesome suggestions everyone thank you!