Software
Houzz Logo Print
marthafish

knobs or pulls on large drawers?

7 years ago
I’m painting my kitchen cabinets, the bottom SW caviar and the top cream to match the trim. I getting “top knob ascendra” 6” drawer pulls on the doors and most of the drawers. But on either side of the cooktop the drawers are small so I’m getting knobs. My dilemma is do I use 2 knobs on the drawers under the cook top or 2 pulls or one large 9” pull. The picture has paper taped on to help me decide, but I can’t.

Comments (11)

  • 7 years ago

    Agreed ^^. I'd do a single large pull (and did do that on my 36" drawers).

  • 7 years ago

    I'm for two pulls. The knobs are too small and one pull is too small for the large drawers.

  • 7 years ago

    I did two (slightly larger) pulls, mainly because I refused to pay stupid money for really long/large pulls ;-)

  • 7 years ago
    Thanks for your comments. Like Amazon4 I find the cost of the 12” pull absurd! I was leaning towards two knobs, but now I’m thinking 2 6” pulls. Right now it only has one 3” pull so I know it will look better than that.

    I have arthritis in my fingers and I don’t find pulls any easier than knobs in cabinets and some pulls if they aren’t deep enough can be a problem. Door knobs are another story, levers are definitely easier than knobs.
  • 7 years ago

    How are your runners? Newer kitchens have softclose runners and can get away with a single knob/handle. I'd prefer a single handle. You could center them on the narrower drawers and cabinets.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    OP: This is a more modern look than you may be seeking, but the Top Knobs M2139 Nouveau III Collection 17-5/8" Square Bar Pull, Flat Black are $37.31 on Amazon now. We ended up using 18" appliance pulls on our 36" drawers, but only because (for an unexplained reason) they were labelled $17 each (they currently and generally sell for upwards of $100). I bought 8. :)

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    A single long pull / center on drawers s ONE motion with ONE hand!

    Two is cluttered , unnecessary and TWICE as many pulls. No.... no :)

    Also keeps a drawer from going askew on a one handed yank when NOT centered!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I used the same single pull on ALL my cabinets, upper and lower.. And I quite like it.




    My pulls are all 5 1/4", solid polished brass. Three years ago, when I bought them from Look In the Attic, they were just about $10 each; I think the price may have gone up a little but since they are solid brass, they are "forever".


    A single pull works perfectly, even on a wide, heavy drawer. I have several 36" drawers, one of which has my Le Crueset big casserole and also a stack of cast iron pans. Talk about heavy! No problem at all.


    My installer was at my house today putting in new drawers where the dog cubby had been. My dogs were not using it the way my previous dogs had, so I decided to take back that space. I was talking to this VERY gifted, meticulous installer about my pulls and his view reflected a friend's son who builds custom cabinets; use a single pull - you'll always grab with just one hand anyway, and a single pull in the center works better than two with only one being used. And only one WILL be used. It throws the glides out of "synch".

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I have a similar layout except the drawers under my range top are actually 48" wide drawers made to look like two drawers next to each other. This is the only spot in my kitchen where I used two pulls on a single drawer. My husband has large hands so I used a beefier pull with a higher projection so that his hand doesn't rub against the drawer. Figured it would save the area around the pulls where the finish can dull if it is constantly touched. All of my other drawers have a single pull and I can hook my finger through and easily slide the drawer open. Edited to add this is the Top Knobs Shrewsbury pull with the Emtek Georgetown knob.


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Ikea has great price on cabinet pulls, they are good looking and well made.

    Ikea Cabinet Hardware